ZMF Auteur Thread
Nov 23, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #5,581 of 8,328
Give blackwood a chance. It's a majestic wood.

First look at it in regular light. Then put a strong light on it indirectly. It'll look like a totally different wood.
You weren’t kidding about how it changes in low light versus direct light.
C38A2A80-7C82-44B8-946B-C79335DC53D0.jpegB349CA65-3EA2-4C92-BA8C-008DB8E09FEE.jpegA14BE7F6-5025-4A18-8798-1482099119A3.jpeg

Nov 23, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #5,582 of 8,328
You weren’t kidding about how it changes in low light versus direct light.
C38A2A80-7C82-44B8-946B-C79335DC53D0.jpegB349CA65-3EA2-4C92-BA8C-008DB8E09FEE.jpegA14BE7F6-5025-4A18-8798-1482099119A3.jpeg
That is some of the prettiest blackwood I've ever seen!

BTW, I'm having fun reading about your ZMF journey. ZMF headphones = one of the best rabbit holes I ever went down (I'm deep down & have no urge to come back up!).

Nov 23, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #5,583 of 8,328
Let the battle begin…
While the blackwood is gorgeous in its own right it still looks similar to a lot of the other woods. The Manchurian Ash is just so unique and has got character. The striation pattern is just perfect.

Nov 23, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #5,584 of 8,328
The Blackwood set is incredibly classy looking, like a beautiful piece of antique furniture. The Ash set is just so unique and striking. It shouts, “look at me!”

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #5,585 of 8,328
Let the battle begin…
155065E7-F31B-45F3-929E-00F6B3CEE180.jpeg
It's close, but I think I actually like the ash look better. I have a feeling the blackwood might win out sound wise...I'm definitely looking forward to your impressions!

Nov 24, 2021 at 12:07 AM Post #5,586 of 8,328
Ok thanks for your help :wink:

Please try with this song. (The first 2 minutes)

Okay so I was able to put in 1 hour each with the auteur lambskin and eikon suede pads.

Before I describe my impression, I just want you to know that all of my Zmf cans are run using a Elise otl that is tunes to be a little warm with slight low end emphasis.

As you know the auteur lambskin pads are zmf house tuning. For me, this pad has a wide, deep soundtrack with fastanstic airy treble and slightly warm sounding mid range and vocals. The low end is detailed and layered. The auteur pads bring the mids and vocals in front of your face while everything else takes a back stage (sorta).

With the eikon suede pads, the first thing I notice is that the wide stage is narrowed a little bit, while the rest of the sound takes a round shape, 3d esque. The mids are recessed which makes it even with the rest of the sound. But the bass is tight, and I mean tight. It's punchy and slams hard. As a result, the mid bass is also increased ever so slightly which gives the male vocals depth. With the dream theater song, the guitars are sublime with the eikon pads. The strings feel like they have some weight to them. After the 2 mins, when the rest of the music kicks in, the eikon pads shines really well. It doesn't have the same grand top end like the auteur pads, but it does make the guitars sound better, imo.

Additionally, I also tried out the eikon lambskin pads and those are the best for electric guitars imo. And it's all because of the bass enhanced sound they produce. I actually like the eikon lambskin pads over the suede only because it has better low end extensions. The suede however has better mids and overall has better tonal balance.

So at the end, I think your pad choice should be based on which type of music you listen to. For just the sheer experience of a grand presentation, nothing beats the auteur pads. Since you listen to electric guitars, I think you can't go wrong with the eikon suedes. If I were you, I d get both of them and call it a day. Auteur responds relay well to pad rolling but still maintains the overall sound signature with minor, yet noticeable differences.

Hope this helps. Plz let me know if you need me to do any more comparisons.

Nov 24, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #5,587 of 8,328
“Boomer” Auteur? (L) “Gen Z” Auteur? (R)
D9A47D88-D96F-416B-878D-983E9D6E7EE2.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #5,588 of 8,328
Okay so I was able to put in 1 hour each with the auteur lambskin and eikon suede pads.

Before I describe my impression, I just want you to know that all of my Zmf cans are run using a Elise otl that is tunes to be a little warm with slight low end emphasis.

As you know the auteur lambskin pads are zmf house tuning. For me, this pad has a wide, deep soundtrack with fastanstic airy treble and slightly warm sounding mid range and vocals. The low end is detailed and layered. The auteur pads bring the mids and vocals in front of your face while everything else takes a back stage (sorta).

With the eikon suede pads, the first thing I notice is that the wide stage is narrowed a little bit, while the rest of the sound takes a round shape, 3d esque. The mids are recessed which makes it even with the rest of the sound. But the bass is tight, and I mean tight. It's punchy and slams hard. As a result, the mid bass is also increased ever so slightly which gives the male vocals depth. With the dream theater song, the guitars are sublime with the eikon pads. The strings feel like they have some weight to them. After the 2 mins, when the rest of the music kicks in, the eikon pads shines really well. It doesn't have the same grand top end like the auteur pads, but it does make the guitars sound better, imo.

Additionally, I also tried out the eikon lambskin pads and those are the best for electric guitars imo. And it's all because of the bass enhanced sound they produce. I actually like the eikon lambskin pads over the suede only because it has better low end extensions. The suede however has better mids and overall has better tonal balance.

So at the end, I think your pad choice should be based on which type of music you listen to. For just the sheer experience of a grand presentation, nothing beats the auteur pads. Since you listen to electric guitars, I think you can't go wrong with the eikon suedes. If I were you, I d get both of them and call it a day. Auteur responds relay well to pad rolling but still maintains the overall sound signature with minor, yet noticeable differences.

Hope this helps. Plz let me know if you need me to do any more comparisons.

Wow thank you so much for your feedback, much appreciated :wink:

I'm using the Quicksilver amp and from what I read the Elise and the QS are very similar in term of sound quality. I think I read the QS is slightly less warm but that's about it.

I will probably order the 2 versions of the Eikon pads like you are recommending.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #5,589 of 8,328
The Blackwood set is incredibly classy looking, like a beautiful piece of antique furniture. The Ash set is just so unique and striking. It shouts, “look at me!”
If I may offer up a solution, why not just keep the Ash set as "EyeCandy" whilst listening to the pure bliss sound of the Blackwoods, would be a win-win , no?

Nov 24, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #5,590 of 8,328
Wow thank you so much for your feedback, much appreciated :wink:

I'm using the Quicksilver amp and from what I read the Elise and the QS are very similar in term of sound quality. I think I read the QS is slightly less warm but that's about it.

I will probably order the 2 versions of the Eikon pads like you are recommending.
Heres another suggestion....

I think you should order the eikon suede and the auteur hybrid pads. With my gsx mini and the mj2, I find the auteur hybrids to be a better fit. The hybrid pads sound a little like the eikons, in that they also tame the mids while enhancing the mid bass a little. In that way, you can still get the auteur magical air and soundstage while getting some of the ekoin suede vibes that I mentioned before.

Imo, the eikon lambs don't really produce that much of a different sound that it's suede sibling. So in order to diversify your sounds for the auteur, I think auteur lamb, hybrid and eikon suede should cover all the bases.

Nov 24, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #5,591 of 8,328
If I may offer up a solution, why not just keep the Ash set as "EyeCandy" whilst listening to the pure bliss sound of the Blackwoods, would be a win-win , no?
That's exactly what I did last night! Problem is that there is also an Olive Verite Closed in the mix. One (or two of these) has to go eventually. I've got too much money tied up in headphones presently!

Nov 24, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #5,592 of 8,328
That's exactly what I did last night! Problem is that there is also an Olive Verite Closed in the mix. One (or two of these) has to go eventually. I've got too much money tied up in headphones presently!
You'll have even more tied up if you sell and then repurchase because you missed it. :) If you don't have liquidity issues, just keep any gear you love. Regret sucks.

Nov 24, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #5,593 of 8,328
You'll have even more tied up if you sell and then repurchase because you missed it. :) If you don't have liquidity issues, just keep any gear you love. Regret sucks.
I agree with the sentiment, but owning 2 limited editions of the same headphone model is too much for even me!

Nov 24, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #5,594 of 8,328
Let the battle begin…
So the thing is, I just realise that auteur blackwood is exist. Why not sell VC Olive, change into VC Blackwood, and then start to hunt down Aeolus Blackwood? (Also, please do not forget VO Blackwood) :o2smile:

Anyway, great collection there! Both looks stunning, and I think I won't be able to decide which has to go if I have to sell one of them.

While Ash looks stunning, wood wise, Blackwood material itself getting rarer these days, and price is start to going up as far as I know.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #5,595 of 8,328
Heres another suggestion....

I think you should order the eikon suede and the auteur hybrid pads. With my gsx mini and the mj2, I find the auteur hybrids to be a better fit. The hybrid pads sound a little like the eikons, in that they also tame the mids while enhancing the mid bass a little. In that way, you can still get the auteur magical air and soundstage while getting some of the ekoin suede vibes that I mentioned before.

Imo, the eikon lambs don't really produce that much of a different sound that it's suede sibling. So in order to diversify your sounds for the auteur, I think auteur lamb, hybrid and eikon suede should cover all the bases.

Ok thanks again. It's even better for me because I prefer the comfort of the suede/hybrid pads over the lambskin pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back