ZMF Auteur Thread
Aug 9, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #5,281 of 8,322

The man uses firehoses for strings, and his phrasing is impeccable. Also, he mixes fingerpicking and pic playing in unusual ways.

First 4 Songs for those curious of their names comprised Set 1.
1. Cole's Law
2. Tangled Hangers
3. Ice Cream Factory
4. FiveB4Funk

Aug 9, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #5,282 of 8,322
Hi, does anybody know which type of 6,3 mm jack they use for the stock cable?
I like the vintage look of it and looking for one for a custom made cable.
It looks like a jack for a guitar cable, but I can only find mono jacks, no stereo.
This would be the one I am looking for.
8x8_LlektrikC_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Thx
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...MCtXVzZ6vf0UtPVm3HRoCQ1gQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Aug 12, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #5,284 of 8,322
Bocote’s are in sanding and finishing….. I’m guessing mid to late September they’ll be in house.

Aug 12, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #5,285 of 8,322
Still in :heart_eyes: whenever I listen to it.

Attachments

• 5D3_2747.jpg
    5D3_2747.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Aug 13, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #5,287 of 8,322
Are those spalted maple? Very nice!
Ambrosia maple from what Zach said, but it does have a lot of spalting compared to other ambrosia sets that I've seen in the past.

Aug 18, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #5,288 of 8,322
Get my Auteur Today, for me is this the second Step to reach my Final :beerchug:

ZMF Auteur.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #5,289 of 8,322
Anyone ever tried the BE2 perf. suede or Verite perf. lambskin pads on their Auteurs?

Aug 20, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #5,290 of 8,322
Replaced my TEAC UD-505 with a Pontus II today. Digging the Pontus/Spring 1/Autuer combo. The Auteur has never sounded better. So much more natural and lovely.

Aug 20, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #5,291 of 8,322
Anyone ever tried the BE2 perf. suede or Verite perf. lambskin pads on their Auteurs?

I use my Auteur with Verite BE2 perforated Lambskin Pads and it sounds amazing for me!

Aug 20, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #5,292 of 8,322
Replaced my TEAC UD-505 with a Pontus II today. Digging the Pontus/Spring 1/Autuer combo. The Auteur has never sounded better. So much more natural and lovely.
Pontus II would be the DAC for me if only I could fit it on the desktop.

I read a lot about the original Pontus, but no way that big box could fit the space I had for it.

I ended up w/an MHDT Labs Orchid, which IMO is a fine DAC, especially after rolling the output buffer tube.

Aug 20, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #5,293 of 8,322

Finally picked up a pair of Blackwood Auteurs today, one of the woods I've longed after for so long! Currently paired with a Holo Cyan, which I personally think was comparably to the Spring DACs (tried both Spring 1 and 2 KTE). Agree that "natural" is the first word that comes to mind when listening to the Auteur, especially in comparison to my Aeolus or Verite. Seems to pair better on my SET tube amp than the other ZMFs that I liked more on OTLs.

Aug 20, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #5,294 of 8,322
Pontus II would be the DAC for me if only I could fit it on the desktop.

I read a lot about the original Pontus, but no way that big box could fit the space I had for it.

I ended up w/an MHDT Labs Orchid, which IMO is a fine DAC, especially after rolling the output buffer tube.
I actually have the original Pontus with the upgraded DSP board. Not sure how much better the Pontus II is, but my system has never sounded better. My Auteur is right at home. The Pontus has an uncanny ability to handle instrument placement and the soundstage is so holographic. I can hear the resonance of the Bocote wood in my Auteurs. The combo of the Auteur, Pontus and Mainline is wonderful. But, out of my Cembalo Spring 1 I am getting a full workout of the dynamic swings each piece can handle. I learned from Birgir of Mjolnir Audio about the importance for a dynamic amp to handle dynamic swing. I love having a system capable of capturing the full potential of my equipment and, thus my music. Listening to Beck's Sea Change "Lost Cause" is simply a marvel. The space between the music is all there, and the guttural undertones of Beck's voice is perfection. I loved my system with my TEAC UD-505, but the Pontus has elevated every part of my chain. My Auteur has found a home for life. I will give this headphone to my kids as an heirloom.

I almost bought the MHDT Labs Orchid. I was a day from buying until the Pontus fell into my lap. I have one thing left to do, which is wait for my new XLR to RCA Blue Dragon Interconnects to arrive so I can run my Spring 1 at 2.2 Volts RMS and my Mainline 4.4 Volts RMS. Right now I am swapping my RCAs back and forth. Although the Pontus is a fullyl balanced dual mono DAC, my Spring 1 is inherently single ended and doesn't benefit from a balanced connection. In fact, it is more a detriment.

My Auteur is one happy headphone. I guess that makes me one happy Auteur owner.

Aug 21, 2021 at 12:05 AM Post #5,295 of 8,322
What a horrible night, i was listening to music from my Auteur and Aeolus. They both hooked up to the Bottlehead crack at the same time, for some reasons the amp was short out and burned both the left drivers. All are out of actions now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back