ZMF Auteur Thread
Sep 3, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #5,311 of 8,390
Thanks guys for the info. :beerchug:
So it seems rods only. Shipping to US from Europe is to much of a hustle. Will ask Zach about the rods.

Sep 4, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #5,312 of 8,390
Hey Auteur lovers. My Pontus II is broken in and I must say, my system is sounding amazing. The Auteurs are sounding even better. Way more natural and so musical. They have always sounded great and my previous DAC was no slouch, but the Pontus is kicking it up a few notches. I am trying to decide whether or not I am going to get a DDC to accompany my Pontus II. Right now I use a USBe Perfect and everything seems tip top. I bought a pair of XLR to RCA interconnects so I can push the full voltage into my Mainline. Bravo! Pontus+Mainline+Auteur = Musical Bliss.

Sep 4, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #5,313 of 8,390
Hey Auteur lovers. My Pontus II is broken in and I must say, my system is sounding amazing. The Auteurs are sounding even better. Way more natural and so musical. They have always sounded great and my previous DAC was no slouch, but the Pontus is kicking it up a few notches. I am trying to decide whether or not I am going to get a DDC to accompany my Pontus II. Right now I use a USBe Perfect and everything seems tip top. I bought a pair of XLR to RCA interconnects so I can push the full voltage into my Mainline. Bravo! Pontus+Mainline+Auteur = Musical Bliss.
A well-designed, well-engineered R2R topology with a robust power supply is the DAC way to go for music - in my opinion. Perfect for a natural-sounding headphone such as Auteur!

Sep 5, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #5,314 of 8,390
A well-designed, well-engineered R2R topology with a robust power supply is the DAC way to go for music - in my opinion. Perfect for a natural-sounding headphone such as Auteur!
Pontus II has both a well engineered topology and a robust power supply. Check!

Sep 8, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #5,315 of 8,390
My Maple Ambrosia Auteurs just came in a few days ago and they're such a joy to listen to. I originally bought these to replace my Focal Clears as I preferred the wood and leather look of the Auteurs but I feel like these compliment them instead as they're a different enough experience so I'll be keeping both!

I also bought a stabilized set of the Verite Closed a few days ago as well since I've been eyeing those since Zach first released them and I'm super excited for those to arrive too.

Sep 8, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #5,316 of 8,390
My Maple Ambrosia Auteurs just came in a few days ago and they're such a joy to listen to. I originally bought these to replace my Focal Clears as I preferred the wood and leather look of the Auteurs but I feel like these compliment them instead as they're a different enough experience so I'll be keeping both!

I also bought a stabilized set of the Verite Closed a few days ago as well since I've been eyeing those since Zach first released them and I'm super excited for those to arrive too.
If your experience is similar to mine, your Clears aren’t going to see much use with an Auteur and VC available.

Not criticizing the Clear. It’s a great headphone. That said, for the music I listen to, I usually prefer the VC for high attention listening. I prefer the Auteur for rock, R&B blues, and anything poorly recorded (because the Auteur will make it sound great). That doesn’t leave a lot of territory for the Clear.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #5,317 of 8,390
If your experience is similar to mine, your Clears aren’t going to see much use with an Auteur and VC available. Not criticizing the Clear. It’s a great headphone.
I'm hoping mine is similar in that case then!

I'm fond of the Clear but if the VC does what I like about the Clear (and more) then I'd be comfortable with parting with the Clears.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #5,318 of 8,390
I'm hoping mine is similar in that case then!

I'm fond of the Clear but if the VC does what I like about the Clear (and more) then I'd be comfortable with parting with the Clears.
The VC has all the detail and clarity of the clear and punches it’s tIcket in everything else.

Make sure you try several different pads. They make a huge difference on the VC and it’s very individual. I love them with the universe pads, hate them with the Auteur non perf pads. Your experience will likely be different.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #5,319 of 8,390
Make sure you try several different pads. They make a huge difference on the VC and it’s very individual. I love them with the universe pads, hate them with the Auteur non perf pads.
Thank you, I definitely will! With my Auteurs I played around between my installed pads, the Universe perf lambskins, and the Eikon perf suedes; I liked the standard pads that come with the Auters most surprisingly, with the Eikons coming into a close second, but first depending on the song or artist choice.

One thing I was actually wondering is how durable are the pads when swapping them? Should I be wary of the baffle possibly catching and tearing something or is it pretty rare? I was kinda worried about stretching too.

Sep 8, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #5,320 of 8,390
Thank you, I definitely will! With my Auteurs I played around between my installed pads, the Universe perf lambskins, and the Eikon perf suedes; I liked the standard pads that come with the Auters most surprisingly, with the Eikons coming into a close second, but first depending on the song or artist choice.

One thing I was actually wondering is how durable are the pads when swapping them? Should I be wary of the baffle possibly catching and tearing something or is it pretty rare? I was kinda worried about stretching too.
I haven’t damaged a pad yet, but I try hard to not change them often. They seem to hold up long enough for me to settle on a pad and stick with it.

Sep 8, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #5,321 of 8,390

Good call, enjoy. I went the same route in reverse, enjoyed my Auteurs for 3 years (still do) and just acquired Clear MG to complement them. The Clear MGs have better detail retrieval and imaging, but can't top the Auteur's wonderful tonality. I enjoy them both very much.

Sep 8, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #5,322 of 8,390
Good call, enjoy. I went the same route in reverse, enjoyed my Auteurs for 3 years (still do) and just acquired Clear MG to complement them. The Clear MGs have better detail retrieval and imaging, but can't top the Auteur's wonderful tonality. I enjoy them both very much.
Thank ya, and that's awesome! The Focal Clear are super engaging to me with their more intimate soundstage and feel quite fast, glad to hear you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!

Sep 8, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #5,323 of 8,390
Where’s the pictures? I’m a little jealous. I’m impatiently waiting for my bocote Auteurs. Ordered the end of June. Fingers and toes crossed they ship this month.

Sep 8, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #5,324 of 8,390
Where’s the pictures? I’m a little jealous. I’m impatiently waiting for my bocote Auteurs. Ordered the end of June. Fingers and toes crossed they ship this month.
I hope yours get here soon! Mine came after a long 2 month wait but it was worth it :D

I'm not the greatest photographer but here are some quick pictures I snapped yesterday!

I asked Zach to do a dark stain on it and they used a tru oil varnish, looks nice and glossy, does anyone know what compound would be good to maintain its sheen every few months? I saw Zach recommends Mohawk penthouse polish but I wasn't sure if that was one that would work well with a tru oil finish too.

Edit: Bevin got back to me and mentioned the Penthouse polish is just fine for my headphones :)
EAC5B62A-80E5-4C8B-8539-6B35202DB237.jpeg
8BA2EBA6-E7B2-4DA2-AD69-9A24B16E1988.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back