ZMF Auteur Thread
Jun 11, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #5,041 of 8,329
Anyone else thinks the wooden cups vertical strip pattern/placing looks hideous compared to all other beautiful Auteur pics posted so far? :disappointed_relieved:
Pictures arent loading up for me, but I always enjoy a nice stripe.

Jun 11, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #5,042 of 8,329

I would too if the stripe has a nicer size, pattern and placement. However mine looks sloppy and in 1 of the cup the stripe only goes from the bottom half and disappears in the top half...

Jun 11, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #5,043 of 8,329
You'd be surprised how supportive Zach is. I've reached out to him about ZMFs purchased used/2nd hand, and he still went out of his way to help me, and at times with minimal/no charge. Can't hurt to email him.
This.

Jun 11, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #5,044 of 8,329
Even this stripe looks better than mine...

1623392070761.png

Jun 11, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #5,045 of 8,329
Jun 11, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #5,046 of 8,329

Can you see it now?

2.jpg

I was hoping for something similar to:

1.jpg

Jun 11, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #5,047 of 8,329
Yep, just emailed to Zach. Will see what happens...
He nay be able to do some magic with staining or varnish that will de-emphasize the stripe (which i think looks rather sporty btw) and bring forward the natural grain and beauty of the wood. Many on the forum note he and Bevin always go out of their way to do everything within reason for customers.

Jun 11, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #5,048 of 8,329
Can you see it now?

2.jpg

I was hoping for something similar to:

1.jpg
I mean I definitely like the way your look, but in fairness if what you requested looks nothing like what you received, you really should be able to see what’s up with that. I have a feeling it was more so a mistake on the dealer(you’d think they’d inspect to make sure everything was there), but who knows maybe it was a genuine mistake on ZMFs part.

Jun 11, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #5,049 of 8,329
He nay be able to do some magic with staining or varnish that will de-emphasize the stripe (which i think looks rather sporty btw) and bring forward the natural grain and beauty of the wood. Many on the forum note he and Bevin always go out of their way to do everything within reason for customers.

If the stripe was thicker and more consistent with 1 of the cup not missing the top half it will definitely look better. But at the moment that stripe just looks awkwardly out of place..

I mean I definitely like the way your look, but in fairness if what you requested looks nothing like what you received, you really should be able to see what’s up with that. I have a feeling it was more so a mistake on the dealer(you’d think they’d inspect to make sure everything was there), but who knows maybe it was a genuine mistake on ZMFs part.

Zach did tell me before that they are unable to guarantee the design for orders through dealers. So he gave a disclaimer before i ordered through the dealer, but the pattern looks awkward to me though :sweat:

Jun 11, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #5,050 of 8,329
Anyone else thinks the wooden cups vertical strip pattern/placing looks hideous compared to all other beautiful Auteur pics posted so far? :disappointed_relieved:
I actually prefer the ones you got, cleaner with something unique to them. That’s just a design/visual preference.on my part though. But I do understand the disappointment of not getting what you expected, especially if you were told to expect what your request was. It seems perhaps the dealer was a bit misleading if they already knew such requests aren’t guaranteed as Zach also told you. I just didn’t think they really took specific requests except in the past if one was paying for a custom stain or something.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #5,051 of 8,329
I actually prefer the ones you got, cleaner with something unique to them. That’s just a design/visual preference.on my part though. But I do understand the disappointment of not getting what you expected, especially if you were told to expect what your request was. It seems perhaps the dealer was a bit misleading if they already knew such requests aren’t guaranteed as Zach also told you. I just didn’t think they really took specific requests except in the past if one was paying for a custom stain or something.

Maybe it's just me then that i find the stripe awkwardly out of place lol. If the stripe placement and size is consistent for both cups and especially with 1 of the stripe not disappearing in the middle then it wouldn't be that out of place.
The dealer mistake was probably not confirming beforehand on the request before being shipped out from US.

I managed to find a 6.3mm - 3.5mm adapter, and i'm very satisfied and happy with the Auteur's sound.
Unfortunately 1 of their main highlights- aesthetics wise... i don't think i will be displaying it out in the open nor posting bragging photos...

Jun 12, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #5,052 of 8,329
I really would like to try thees magic ZMF cans.
But that is the reason why I would never buy a ZMF “blindly“, meaning without having a picture of the actual pair I will buy. They are way to expensive to be disappointed by a wood finish you did not expect or even dislike.

Jun 12, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #5,053 of 8,329
Jun 12, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #5,054 of 8,329
But that is the reason why I would never buy a ZMF “blindly“, meaning without having a picture of the actual pair I will buy. They are way to expensive to be disappointed by a wood finish you did not expect or even dislike.

If you're able to buy direct from Zach I've not yet read of someone (that I can recall) who who hasn't been blown away by what they ultimately received.

If you have to go through dealers then that can unfortunately lead to miscommunications, though from my experiences with ZMF those issues are likelier to come from the dealer, as per Levanter's case.

Jun 12, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #5,055 of 8,329
Some woods have very little variation in the pattern (e.g. Blackwood) so you pretty much get what you see. I think it's only on the more exotic woods that you have to "worry" about what you might get. IIRC, the default wood on the Auteur is also one with little variation, and therefore less potential to disappoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back