ZMF Auteur Thread
Jun 4, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #5,011 of 8,281
Sounds good and makes sense!! It's just that when you're into a hobby that traditionally has you planning your next upgrade/purchase, it feels very out of character to feel "done" with your set up. It actually feels wrong! LOL!

You'll outgrow that feeling eventually. The sooner you get to that point, the more money you'll save. lol

The trick IMHO is to get something you're really happy with for yourself and then, instead of spending money upgrading, spend the money on going to meets like Canjam. There you can nerd out and hear all the cool stuff people are chatting about, make some friends, meet cool folks like Zach, then go back home to your comfortable gear. Flying out to a weekend in SoCal (or New York or whatever's close), getting a hotel for 2 nights, etc can be done for less than the price of a new headphone. With COVID restriction lifting, this is a real possibility again finally.

That said, I've been in love with the Auteur since I first heard it (and I've hear it many times). I've heard all of Zach's headphones, reviewed several of them formally, and the Auteur is my all time favorite ZMF. I'm not sure how he decides on the prices, but if he wants to sell my favorite headphone for less than others that I like less, I'm not going to complain. :smile: My point here is that just because the other headphones are more expensive, doesn't mean you're going to like them more. Might want to see if you can get ears on the other cans before deciding.

Jun 4, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #5,012 of 8,281
You'll outgrow that feeling eventually. The sooner you get to that point, the more money you'll save.
Quoted for truth. It took me 3 years to finally arrive at a desktop setup + full-sized headphones that I'm happy with. But I spent too much along the way.
Now I'm just looking for one last IEM to complete my collection.

Jun 4, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #5,013 of 8,281
... My point here is that just because the other headphones are more expensive, doesn't mean you're going to like them more...
This!

I probably listen to my Hedd (paid $1300 used) twice as much as my Utopia (paid $2300 new).

Jun 4, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #5,014 of 8,281
This!

I probably listen to my Hedd (paid $1300 used) twice as much as my Utopia (paid $2300 new).
The Utopia's are very much on my radar, as they are likely the best I've ever heard. I'd be worried that if I bought a set, even at the awesome price you've mentioned, they might be sidelined because the Auteur's are just so stellar.

Side note: I listen to a lot prog rock and highly recommend Yes - Tales from Topographic Oceans on the Auteur. The amazing staging, space/separation of instruments, and non-fatiguing detail is just so spectacular. The bass is full, present, but not overwhelming. The highs are clear, crisp, and not fatiguing. Mids and vocal layers are defined and complimentary to the music. Just wow.

Jun 4, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #5,015 of 8,281
The Utopia's are very much on my radar, as they are likely the best I've ever heard. I'd be worried that if I bought a set, even at the awesome price you've mentioned, they might be sidelined because the Auteur's are just so stellar.

Side note: I listen to a lot prog rock and highly recommend Yes - Tales from Topographic Oceans on the Auteur. The amazing staging, space/separation of instruments, and non-fatiguing detail is just so spectacular. The bass is full, present, but not overwhelming. The highs are clear, crisp, and not fatiguing. Mids and vocal layers are defined and complimentary to the music. Just wow.
Actually, my Blackwood Auteur are relatively close to my Utopia tonally -- a touch less treble energy, a bit more bass, but close. Teaks or other softer woods might be further away.

Agree regarding Prog Rock/Auteur, but Grateful Dead/Auteur is magic!

Jun 4, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #5,016 of 8,281
Hello Auteur Lovers,

I use my Auteur with a Singxer SA1 at the moment. Are there any perfect match Amps for the Auteur?

Thanks for your help :)

Jun 4, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #5,017 of 8,281
Actually, my Blackwood Auteur are relatively close to my Utopia tonally -- a touch less treble energy, a bit more bass, but close. Teaks or other softer woods might be further away.

Agree regarding Prog Rock/Auteur, but Grateful Dead/Auteur is magic!
Oh interesting! I had the impression that the Utopia may have done the detail/separation/staging thing better- Like a super improved HD800. This is going from memory, however.

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #5,018 of 8,281
Oh interesting! I had the impression that the Utopia may have done the detail/separation/staging thing better- Like a super improved HD800. This is going from memory, however.
Perhaps I wasn't clear. I was trying to say that my Auteur's TONALITY is close to Utopia. Auteur's image is bigger (Utopia's is quite small -- complete opposite of HD-800 stage), but Utopia image is the most precise of any can I've heard ('That instrument, RIGHT THERE'). And while Utopia is more detailed, the gap isn't huge.

Jun 4, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #5,019 of 8,281
just received mine three days and it has been great
using jot 2 and bifrost 2 atm

Attachments

• teak.jpg
    teak.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Jun 4, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #5,020 of 8,281
Jun 6, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #5,021 of 8,281
One of my favorite aspects of hifi listening is when the playback gives you goosebumps and emotionally affects you. One artist in particular does this for me more than any other, that being Stevie Nicks with Fleetwood Mac. Her voice is just so hauntingly beautiful, and the music so emotionally charged. In breaking in and enjoying my new Auteurs, I've been listening to a lot of Stevie, and I have to say the Auteur does her voice best of all the headphones i've owned, by a large margin. It so perfectly balances her high notes with her more bassy overall voice. Truly transformative! Gypsy, Landslide, and Sara are some of my personal favorites to showcase her abilities. It's like the Auteur was tuned specifically for her voice.

Jun 6, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #5,022 of 8,281
... Stevie Nicks with Fleetwood Mac. Her voice is just so hauntingly beautiful, and the music so emotionally charged ... Gypsy, Landslide, and Sara are some of my personal favorites ... It's like the Auteur was tuned specifically for her voice.
Agree — both Stevie & Christine’s voices offer unique timbre & tonality. I would add ‘Over My Head’ and ‘Warm Ways’ to your list, but agree that Auteur nails these vocals. Cowboy Junkies’ Margo Timmins sounds great from Auteur as well. Also Gretchen Peters, Joni Mitchell, k.d. Lang, Diana Krall ... well, maybe all female vocals :)

Jun 6, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #5,023 of 8,281
Agree — both Stevie & Christine’s voices offer unique timbre & tonality. I would add ‘Over My Head’ and ‘Warm Ways’ to your list, but agree that Auteur nails these vocals. Cowboy Junkies’ Margo Timmins sounds great from Auteur as well. Also Gretchen Peters, Joni Mitchell, k.d. Lang, Diana Krall ... well, maybe all female vocals :)
When I listen to Sarah Vaughan, Aretha Franklin, Stephanie Mills and more via the Auteur driven by Woo Audio WA3 (o/t/l), the conveyance of emotion is astounding.

Jun 6, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #5,024 of 8,281
When I listen to Sarah Vaughan, Aretha Franklin, Stephanie Mills and more via the Auteur driven by Woo Audio WA3 (o/t/l), the conveyance of emotion is astounding.
Court and Spark, title track — intro is solo piano joined by her voice 20 seconds in — “Love came to my door, with a sleeping roll, and a madman’s soul...”. Ends with “Couldn’t let go of LA, city of the fallen angels”. Help Me comes next — just wow! As someone else said, ‘The conveyance of emotion is astounding!’

Hugo2go ==> BX2+ ==> Hedd

is killing it, but I’m preferring Auteur direct out of H2go — better headstage/imaging & more energetic vs:

Hugo2go ==> BX2+ ==> Auteur

and plenty of power. This might be the first instance where I’ve recognized a ‘double-amping’ issue.

(Strangely, the effect of Cross-fade from my Hugo 2 pretty much disappears from the H2go ==> BX2+ ==> Auteur chain, while it’s quite present from H2go ==> Auteur.)

<edit>

More about chains.

I was enjoying the 2020 re-master of Workingman’s Dead from H2go ==> Auteur (world’s greatest Deadphones.) Decided to give Hedd a title shot. From

H2go ==> Hedd

Uncle John’s Band was just flat, completely 2D. Throw in the BX2+, and Hedd becomes a contender. Given these chains:

1. H2go ==> Auteur
2. H2go ==> BX2+ ==> Hedd
3. H2go ==> BX2+ ==> Auteur
4. H2go ==> Hedd

it’s 1 > 2 > (barely) 3 >> 4

</edit>

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #5,025 of 8,281
Having had the Auteurs for a little over 6 months now, I haven't even so much as looked at a new pair since. They just handle everything I throw at them so well, I wouldn't even know where to go from here. Honestly I don't even find them all that comfortable (might have to do with my ear shape), but all I can say is bravo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back