ZMF Auteur Thread
Mar 20, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #4,786 of 8,325
IIRC, there was chatter about Blackwood being scarce and possibly coming from endangered/protected sources. The bottom line seemed to be that he probably wouldn’t use it again.

Ah, I wasn't aware that it is scare and would now have to come from endangered/protected sources, outch.

(aside) Cocobolo sets are gorgeous!

Indeed, I will get over it eventually, I am sure.

Mar 20, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #4,787 of 8,325
IIRC, there was chatter about Blackwood being scarce and possibly coming from endangered/protected sources. The bottom line seemed to be that he probably wouldn’t use it again.

The fact that it is so hard to work might factor in as well. I remember several posts during the introductory wait when he mentioned this as affecting the build timeline.

(aside) Cocobolo sets are gorgeous!
Not sure if it’s the same wood he was talking about on a stream, but he was talking about how there was a wood that he could only buy if the tree had fallen and could not be cut down as it was an endangered species.

Mar 20, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #4,788 of 8,325
Not sure if it’s the same wood he was talking about on a stream, but he was talking about how there was a wood that he could only buy if the tree had fallen and could not be cut down as it was an endangered species.
Not sure if it’s the same on the auteur limited, but the ironwood VO right now is one where it can’t be cut unless fallen naturally (or so the website says haha). Just ordered a pair today...can’t wait!

I’m holding out for the next LTD Auteur to be released then might have to jump on that too. Any idea how long it is between ltd release cycles usually?

Mar 21, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #4,789 of 8,325
The Auteur is one of the most beautiful headphones I've ever come across. The craftsmanship is laudable, so is the attention to detail. The lower-mids are excellent, with and engagement factor I've rarely come across in this price-range.

Definitely agree with you. When Zach showed me a picture of my Auteur, I fell in love with them instantaneously. :heart_eyes:

5D3_2591.jpg

Mar 21, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #4,791 of 8,325
Seriously thinking about getting these because they are so damn beautiful...
Just wait till you actually hear them. I think other owners will confirm my assessment that they sound as good (maybe even better) than they look!

Mar 21, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #4,793 of 8,325
Anyone used any portable tube amp with the Auteurs so far?

Mar 21, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #4,794 of 8,325
Anyone used any portable tube amp with the Auteurs so far?
I use it with my Phatlab Sassy GT, was solely how I used the Auteur when I received it before I got a Feliks Echo over a yr later.

Sounds great with the Sassy - Echo is better but definitely not worlds apart, would be happy with just the Sassy amping it if I had to.

Mar 21, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #4,795 of 8,325
I use it with my Phatlab Sassy GT, was solely how I used the Auteur when I received it before I got a Feliks Echo over a yr later.

Sounds great with the Sassy - Echo is better but definitely not worlds apart, would be happy with just the Sassy amping it if I had to.

The power output is lower than my M8 DAP though, but it seems like the GT is already discontinued.

Mar 22, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #4,796 of 8,325
The power output is lower than my M8 DAP though, but it seems like the GT is already discontinued.

Yep, but their new Chimera is the successor.

I see 860mw @32ohm for M8 vs 1000mw @30ohm for the GT on paper.

I listen loud, very loud, and don't get the volume wheel up to 50%. And not just loudness but it's definitely properly driven, relative to the Echo at the very least. Some folks use it with the Abyss Diana I believe.

As always YMMV IMO etc

Mar 22, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #4,797 of 8,325
Not sure if it’s the same on the auteur limited, but the ironwood VO right now is one where it can’t be cut unless fallen naturally (or so the website says haha). Just ordered a pair today...can’t wait!

I’m holding out for the next LTD Auteur to be released then might have to jump on that too. Any idea how long it is between ltd release cycles usually?
No specific date on the next LTD Auteur. I've asked Zach about it. I'm also looking to purchase a pair but the light color wood does not really suit my taste.
He said "We don't have any other LTD edition right now unfortunately, we will have a new LTD edition and hopefully some stabilized available at some point."

Mar 22, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #4,798 of 8,325
No specific date on the next LTD Auteur. I've asked Zach about it. I'm also looking to purchase a pair but the light color wood does not really suit my taste.
He said "We don't have any other LTD edition right now unfortunately, we will have a new LTD edition and hopefully some stabilized available at some point."
If you’re into really dark wood, Zach told me they have some wenge Auteur left at a little bit of a discount. He has a code for them if you ask and some pics.

Mar 22, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #4,799 of 8,325
If you’re into really dark wood, Zach told me they have some wenge Auteur left at a little bit of a discount. He has a code for them if you ask and some pics.

Those are B stock though, there are small splits and and small wood fills in the Wenge wood if you don't mind those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back