ZMF Auteur Thread
Mar 19, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #4,756 of 8,329
I just read the THX 887 thread and there were several RME ADI-2 owners that seemed happy with the set up. At least one or two guys were running ZMF headphones. I read your comments about treble fatigue, but do you think that the EQ in the ADI-2 could smooth things out? Just curious, as I’m thinking the 887 is cost-effective, stacks well with the RME, and might be a viable option.
Possibly. I didn’t try the eq on the RME when I demoed it. But I’d think between that and pad rolling you can get something to your liking.

Mar 19, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #4,757 of 8,329
I am with @LoryWiv here: the combination of Auteur, Woo WA3 (otl) with Tung-Sol 5998 + Amperex PQ 7316 is airy, energetic, engaging. Categorically dismissing otl headphone amplifiers for the Auteur is premature and unfortunate.

Mar 19, 2021 at 3:57 AM Post #4,758 of 8,329
I just read the THX 887 thread and there were several RME ADI-2 owners that seemed happy with the set up. At least one or two guys were running ZMF headphones. I read your comments about treble fatigue, but do you think that the EQ in the ADI-2 could smooth things out? Just curious, as I’m thinking the 887 is cost-effective, stacks well with the RME, and might be a viable option.
I haven't had my ADI-2 for long, so I haven't delved into the EQ options yet. But I have used the bass and treble adjustment knobs on some tracks to tone down the treble just a little bit and I find that it works really well when I need to.

Mar 19, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #4,759 of 8,329
You can also go one step further with an external linear power supply (besides the capacitor modifications + 12AU7s). Wonderful with the Auteur! and the Auteur is wonderful with the “LP+”! (...tubes are Brimar CV4003...
a 12AU7 type)
Question: Do you have a preference between the Liquid Platinum and the WA3? As I'm looking at various tube amp options, I like the reviews and specs of both of these, plus for my desktop limited space issue, either look like they'd be a good fit (literally). I know the WA3 is discontinued and was also curious if other Woo amps you own are good contenders? There's a WA7 w/ standard power supply for sale locally, but not sure if that's a contender as it literally never gets mentioned.

General question for tube amp enthusiasts: I realize the allure and sonic texture provided by tube amps (I have many tube guitar amps and have incredible appreciation for what they offer). If it's fuller frequency, presence, and EQ characteristics, are those somewhat achievable with the EQ in my ADI-2 DAC or is are the tube amps providing more than just EQ benefits? I ask because a solid state option I'm looking at (THX 887) is space efficient and cost-effective. I'm open minded, however.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #4,760 of 8,329
General question for tube amp enthusiasts: I realize the allure and sonic texture provided by tube amps (I have many tube guitar amps and have incredible appreciation for what they offer). If it's fuller frequency, presence, and EQ characteristics, are those somewhat achievable with the EQ in my ADI-2 DAC or is are the tube amps providing more than just EQ benefits? I ask because a solid state option I'm looking at (THX 887) is space efficient and cost-effective. I'm open minded, however.

It is possible to tune ADI-2 EQ to have tube like tonality. I did it with my ADI-2.
But it still doesn't give you better soundstage and 3D sound. I believe timbre is better with tubes too.

THX amps sound boring and sterile with ZMF headphones. Singxer SA-1 might be better ( It has high-z selector ).

Mar 19, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #4,761 of 8,329
I do not have an overall preference for the WA3 over the LP or vice versa. I use the WA3, as an OTL h/p/a, to drive my high impedance h/p (Beyerdynamic DT1770, Sennheiser HD600, and ZMF Auteur). The LP is used for the low impedance h/p (Audeze LCD-X, Focal Clear, Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM). What I enjoy with both h/p/a is rolling between 6922-type tubes & 12AU7-type tubes. For the WA3, I like to try different power tubes: 5998, 6080, 6AS7G, CV5008. In terms of sound, both h/p/a are musically coherent and convincing. The LP has a little more heft and definition in the bass / mid bass. FAABBFDC-075A-43A4-BE86-459A7348382E.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #4,762 of 8,329
It is possible to tune ADI-2 EQ to have tube like tonality. I did it with my ADI-2.
But it still doesn't give you better soundstage and 3D sound. I believe timbre is better with tubes too.

THX amps sound boring and sterile with ZMF headphones. Singxer SA-1 might be better ( It has high-z selector ).
I'll read up on Singxer. Thanks for the recommendation.
I do not have an overall preference for the WA3 over the LP or vice versa. I use the WA3, as an OTL h/p/a, to drive my high impedance h/p (Beyerdynamic DT1770, Sennheiser HD600, and ZMF Auteur). The LP is used for the low impedance h/p (Audeze LCD-X, Focal Clear, Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM). What I enjoy with both h/p/a is rolling between 6922-type tubes & 12AU7-type tubes. For the WA3, I like to try different power tubes: 5998, 6080, 6AS7G, CV5008. In terms of sound, both h/p/a are musically coherent and convincing. The LP has a little more heft and definition in the bass / mid bass.FAABBFDC-075A-43A4-BE86-459A7348382E.jpeg
Great, thank you for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Do either of you think the Woo WA7 might be a good match?

Mar 19, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #4,763 of 8,329
Question: Do you have a preference between the Liquid Platinum and the WA3? As I'm looking at various tube amp options, I like the reviews and specs of both of these, plus for my desktop limited space issue, either look like they'd be a good fit (literally). I know the WA3 is discontinued and was also curious if other Woo amps you own are good contenders? There's a WA7 w/ standard power supply for sale locally, but not sure if that's a contender as it literally never gets mentioned.

Another option that Zach often recommends that's small and space efficient is the Beyerdynamic A20 solid state amplifier. It has a very high output impedance which pairs very well with high ohm headphones. I've always been curious about it myself and will one day grab one if the price is right.

Mar 19, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #4,764 of 8,329
Another option that Zach often recommends that's small and space efficient is the Beyerdynamic A20 solid state amplifier. It has a very high output impedance which pairs very well with high ohm headphones. I've always been curious about it myself and will one day grab one if the price is right.
Thanks, I'll look into the Beyerdyanmic and check on the specs. If Zach recommends it, I'm sure it's a proper fit.

Regarding tube amps, the two that consistently come up as great matches are the Bottlehead/Speedball Crack and Woo WA3. I'm really surprised that a DIY kit amp is so highly regarded, but enough people have praised it, so I'll conclude it's the real deal. I love the look of the WA3, but sadly it's discontinued, so I don't know if I'll ever find one for sale. I suppose I can post a WTB ad and see if anybody has one.

Mar 19, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #4,765 of 8,329
The Bottlehead/Speedball Crack is great value/performance. Not sure, building it may also create a "bias"? Just like cooking- somehow, anything I cook tastes better (to me) than it should..

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #4,766 of 8,329
The output impedance is quoted as 100 ohms. A ‘neighbourhood’ reading for this on an OTL tube h/p/a would be 120 ohms. For the solid-state Violectric V280, in comparison, the output impedance is stated as 0.165 ohms.

Mar 19, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #4,767 of 8,329

Sound signature of the THX 887 is very similar to RMI ADI-2 amplifier.
I sold my THX 887 when I moved to tubes. If I want to listen to solid state I just use ADI-2 headphone out. :smile_phones:

Mar 19, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #4,768 of 8,329
Sound signature of the THX 887 is very similar to RMI ADI-2 amplifier.
I sold my THX 887 when I moved to tubes. If I want to listen to solid state I just use ADI-2 headphone out. :smile_phones:
That's a very good point. I certainly don't want to create redundancy. Also, I'm listening to Zeos' review of the Singxer. I'm surprised to see how excited he is with this amp! Didn't expect it to be so well-received. Sounds like a good contender.

Mar 19, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #4,769 of 8,329
That's a very good point. I certainly don't want to create redundancy. Also, I'm listening to Zeos' review of the Singxer. I'm surprised to see how excited he is with this amp! Didn't expect it to be so well-received. Sounds like a good contender.

Nothing against Zeos, but I never got a good sense of whether I would like something by watching his reviews until I watched a few of his reviews for headphones and amplifiers I had already had on hand for a baseline.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #4,770 of 8,329
Agreed, watching reviews is just part of my research gathering. I don't put too much stock in any one source. If there's a product I'm not familiar with, I'll read and listen to as much as I can find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back