ZMF Auteur Thread
Mar 19, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #4,771 of 8,294
Do either of you think the Woo WA7 might be a good match?
I had it and enjoyed it with some headphones but never especially loved it with any of the ZMFs.

Mar 19, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #4,772 of 8,294
I had it and enjoyed it with some headphones but never especially loved it with any of the ZMFs.
Thank you- I suspected that it was never really intended for headphones like ZMF.

Mar 19, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #4,773 of 8,294
Here's my tier list, as I've now listened to the auteur on a variety of amplifiers.

S Tier

ZMF Pendant: Best I've ever heard the Auteur: rich and euphonic, but also hard-hitting, detailed, and snappy, with tons of tonal contrast and fun-factor. The most engaging amp on this list.

A Tier

ECP DSHA-3F: Really, really excellent. Smooth, fluid, addicting sound. The most detailed and resolving of microdynamics of any amp on this list. But lacking just a bit in bass impact, ultimate macrodynamic punch, and overall body.
SW51+: A lot like the Pendant, at a fifth of the price. What you lose is bass quality, staging, and ability to roll a variety of tubes. But really, this is by far the best value amp on this list.

B Tier

DNA Sonett 2: A little too relaxed for the Auteur, but a very pleasant, warm sound, with generally solid technicalities and fantastic sense of staging and microdynamic nuance.

C Tier

Lyr 3: Just didn't match well. Didn't much like the Auteur on this.
Magni 3+: Better than the other two here, but still nothing special.
Schiit Asgard 3: This amp didn't really do much to correct any of the Auteur's weaknesses, and made it sound sleepy and dull.

Overall, if you have money to spend, I would recommend pairing the Auteur with the Pendant and a more neutral dac. That was, in my opinion, the best I've heard the Auteur. If you're on a budget, look for the SW51+ or possibly (if you're not an SBAF member or don't have access to the amp) a Valhalla 2. If you really want a solid state, I'd recommend the ECP DSHA-3F, though I really do think Auteur pairs -best- with neutral tube amps. This means either ultralinear stuff or more neutral SET designs. I'd generally avoid OTL's, as many of them are a little gooey and smoothed over (like the Feliks stuff), which doesn't match well with the Auteurs inherent timbral wetness (Too much of a good thing). If you don't want to "tighten up" the transients and general wetness of the Auteur, you can look instead at something like the Starlett, which is (from what I've read) similar to the Sonett 2 but a big, big step up in most categories. Jot 2 should also be a worthy SS competitor at its pricepoint, though I haven't heard the pairing myself.
Do you have the OG Pendant or the SE?

I'm really enjoying the Auteur w/ the SW51+ and just thinking/planning what higher tier tube amp I want to add next.

Mar 19, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #4,774 of 8,294
Do you have the OG Pendant or the SE?

I'm really enjoying the Auteur w/ the SW51+ and just thinking/planning what higher tier tube amp I want to add next.

Hey there - I have the OG, though I just got my caps upgraded to Jupiter from Justin and will be receiving mine back shortly.

Mar 20, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #4,775 of 8,294
Just made payment for the Auteur! Gonna be a long wait 😅
Still trying to decide whether to go for the Eikon suede or lambskin for the secondary pads..

Mar 20, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #4,776 of 8,294
Just made payment for the Auteur! Gonna be a long wait 😅
Still trying to decide whether to go for the Eikon suede or lambskin for the secondary pads..
I think you should try the stock auteur perf lamb pads first. After that, if you want more bass and less soundstage, get the eikon lamb, if you want to keep similar treble and mids of the auteur pads but with a little more controlled bass, then the eikon suede should suit you very well.

Mar 20, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #4,777 of 8,294
I think you should try the stock auteur perf lamb pads first. After that, if you want more bass and less soundstage, get the eikon lamb, if you want to keep similar treble and mids of the auteur pads but with a little more controlled bass, then the eikon suede should suit you very well.

I need to choose a secondary pads either way, so i won’t be able to try the stock pads since they’ll come together 😅

Mar 20, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #4,779 of 8,294
I need to choose a secondary pads either way, so i won’t be able to try the stock pads since they’ll come together 😅

Ive tried eikon perf lamb skin and suede on the auteur, and prefer the suede. I found the perf lambskin very similar to the auteur perf lambskin, just slightly less in soundstage. The suede gives more variety imho.

Mar 20, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #4,781 of 8,294
Ive tried eikon perf lamb skin and suede on the auteur, and prefer the suede. I found the perf lambskin very similar to the auteur perf lambskin, just slightly less in soundstage. The suede gives more variety imho.

How does the suede sound? Looking for a sound closer to the Aeolus as an alternative to the auteur signature as a complement without losing any technicalities.

I prefer the Auteur perferoted lambskin pads on the Auteur Wenge. Should Zach and Bevin ever bring the Auteur Blackwood LTD back for another run, I will have to grab a pair :L3000:.

Zach has some b-stock Wenge if you’re interested.

Mar 20, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #4,783 of 8,294
The Auteur is one of the most beautiful headphones I've ever come across. The craftsmanship is laudable, so is the attention to detail. The lower-mids are excellent, with and engagement factor I've rarely come across in this price-range.

IMG_9784.JPG

IMG_9785.JPG

Mar 20, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #4,785 of 8,294
I have the Wenge, great as well. I had the Cocobolo at one point and should have kept it. Now, I am waiting for the Blackwood to make another appearance.
IIRC, there was chatter about Blackwood being scarce and possibly coming from endangered/protected sources. The bottom line seemed to be that he probably wouldn’t use it again.

The fact that it is so hard to work might factor in as well. I remember several posts during the introductory wait when he mentioned this as affecting the build timeline.

(aside) Cocobolo sets are gorgeous!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back