ZMF Auteur Thread
May 18, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #3,137 of 8,309
May 18, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #3,138 of 8,309
May 18, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #3,139 of 8,309
For 100.00 more than the Speedball he's selling he can get a basic Glenn OTL.

Yes, absolutely, if @Focux is willing to pay more, the GOTL is very highly regarded on Head-Fi, I have not heard it myself. If you plan to do any tube rolling, the overhead will be higher as you will need matched pairs of output tubes, just something to keep in mind. My main point is that I don't feel the Felix Echo is worth €499. I think that money would be better spent on either a cheaper OTL amp in the Crack+SB (perhaps on the HF classifieds) or saving for something in a higher price bracket, like the GOTL. Just my opinion of course, or you could forget about all of this tube nonsense and go solid state. The tube rabbit hole is so, so deep..still lost looking for the bottom :)

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #3,140 of 8,309
Yes, absolutely, if @Focux is willing to pay more, the GOTL is very highly regarded on Head-Fi, I have not heard it myself. If you plan to do any tube rolling, the overhead will be higher as you will need matched pairs of output tubes, just something to keep in mind. My main point is that I don't feel the Felix Echo is worth €499. I think that money would be better spent on either a cheaper OTL amp in the Crack+SB (perhaps on the HF classifieds) or saving for something in a higher price bracket, like the GOTL. Just my opinion of course, or you could forget about all of this tube nonsense and go solid state. The tube rabbit hole is so, so deep..still lost looking for the bottom :)

Frankly I do prefer something simple like SS but thought it’s worth giving tubes a try?

An using SS now and actually considered the Jotunheim

May 18, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #3,141 of 8,309
I was watching Joshua Valour’s review on the Auteur; apparently it’s neutral sounding? If so, does it make sense to go for Aeolus since it’s warmer but use diff pads to make it less laidback or go for Auteur and change pads to make it sound warmer

since i want detail and speed but yet also want warmth and lush mids, which is the logical option..??

May 18, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #3,142 of 8,309
I was watching Joshua Valour’s review on the Auteur; apparently it’s neutral sounding? If so, does it make sense to go for Aeolus since it’s warmer but use diff pads to make it less laidback or go for Auteur and change pads to make it sound warmer

since i want detail and speed but yet also want warmth and lush mids, which is the logical option..??

Ugh, Joshua Valour. He's like Zeos but with zero personality. Watch the DMS video if you want a good YouTube review:
Or better yet read a good review by @Hansotek: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1217/ZMF_Auteur_Over_Ear_Headphone_Review.htm

The Auteur is neutral-ish, especially the Teak's and probably the Ambrosia Maple. The harder woods like Blackwood/Cocobolo will be noticeably darker, but not by a huge amount.

"detail and speed but yet also want warmth and lush mids" sounds closer to the Verite than anything. They don't have as lush of mids as say the Aeolus, Autuer, but they are still quite good (and not as forward). However, a Cocobolo Autuer will get your close to that sound, even more so with a pad roll.

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #3,143 of 8,309
Ugh, Joshua Valour. He's like Zeos but with zero personality. Watch the DMS video if you want a good YouTube review.
Yeah, JV irritates the crap out of me. DMS’s review was spot on...in fact the Auteur he’s reviewing (African Wenge) is MY Auteur. Pure coincidence - I wanted a dark hardwood Auteur with beautiful grain and silver hardware, and Zach just happened to have that one refurbished and ready to go. Fell in love the instant I saw it, and only realized later it was the self same Auteur DMS reviewed (trust me I took screenshots and compared the grain patterns). And it sounds every bit as magical as it looks!

F20E9D8E-A3FC-4290-94B2-91BEB5EB8F79.jpeg 0104870B-DEB3-4BEE-9D7A-3B6BD977B693.jpeg 140ACD47-3C48-4FA2-B46E-F8F7549C055B.jpeg 1F270A82-B280-483B-B8B9-FC13EACE3EA4.jpeg CAFDD8C1-81C6-4FAE-BD38-F2D626B6567E.jpeg EC68D1BC-C0F9-4FBB-938E-61A1A1476A09.jpeg

Edit: just watched the Valour review on YouTube. Wow, I don’t think anyone could have described the Auteur less accurately. In fact I don’t even think he knows himself what he’s trying to say. For example: soundstage isn’t good enough for a $1500 headphone? It’s wider than the HD650, which he finds too narrow, it’s narrower than the HD800 which he finds too wide, so then it must be just right, right? Nope, apparently the HD800 is better for the price. But he just said the HD800 is ‘unnaturally wide’ like 3 seconds ago... And so it goes on and on not making sense. And the Auteur is an upgrade over the 650/6XX? Really? Last time I checked it has no midbass bump and is tilted towards neutrality/clarity with a sub bass emphasis. Much like a certain HD600... And to say the Auteur lacks resolution is just laughable. At least Zeos nailed his Auteur review, and didn't put me to sleep after two minutes.

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #3,144 of 8,309
The Auteur is neutral-ish, especially the Teak's and probably the Ambrosia Maple.

Probably doesn't change your point too much, but Zach told me the Maple they use for the Ambrosia Maple Auteur is actually Hard Maple, so it has a bit higher Janka rating than Teak, for what it's worth. I had assumed it was softer.

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #3,145 of 8,309
Probably doesn't change your point too much, but Zach told me the Maple they use for the Ambrosia Maple Auteur is actually Hard Maple, so it has a bit higher Janka rating than Teak, for what it's worth. I had assumed it was softer.

Ah, I figured it was close. Still should have the a very similar sound profile to the Teak.

May 18, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #3,146 of 8,309
Ugh, Joshua Valour. He's like Zeos but with zero personality. Watch the DMS video if you want a good YouTube review:
Or better yet read a good review by @Hansotek: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1217/ZMF_Auteur_Over_Ear_Headphone_Review.htm

The Auteur is neutral-ish, especially the Teak's and probably the Ambrosia Maple. The harder woods like Blackwood/Cocobolo will be noticeably darker, but not by a huge amount.

"detail and speed but yet also want warmth and lush mids" sounds closer to the Verite than anything. They don't have as lush of mids as say the Aeolus, Autuer, but they are still quite good (and not as forward). However, a Cocobolo Autuer will get your close to that sound, even more so with a pad roll.

I watched this review last night and thought it was well conveyed and yet concise.

Do u mean that Verite is less forward than Aeolus & Auteur?

This is my understanding of level of forwardness:

Verite > Auteur > Aeolus (tot this was laidback tbh)

May 19, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #3,147 of 8,309
Yeah, JV irritates the crap out of me. DMS’s review was spot on...in fact the Auteur he’s reviewing (African Wenge) is MY Auteur. Pure coincidence - I wanted a dark hardwood Auteur with beautiful grain and silver hardware, and Zach just happened to have that one refurbished and ready to go. Fell in love the instant I saw it, and only realized later it was the self same Auteur DMS reviewed (trust me I took screenshots and compared the grain patterns). And it sounds every bit as magical as it looks!

Edit: just watched the Valour review on YouTube. Wow, I don’t think anyone could have described the Auteur less accurately. In fact I don’t even think he knows himself what he’s trying to say. For example: soundstage isn’t good enough for a $1500 headphone? It’s wider than the HD650, which he finds too narrow, it’s narrower than the HD800 which he finds too wide, so then it must be just right, right? Nope, apparently the HD800 is better for the price. But he just said the HD800 is ‘unnaturally wide’ like 3 seconds ago... And so it goes on and on not making sense. And the Auteur is an upgrade over the 650/6XX? Really? Last time I checked it has no midbass bump and is tilted towards neutrality/clarity with a sub bass emphasis. Much like a certain HD600... And to say the Auteur lacks resolution is just laughable. At least Zeos nailed his Auteur review, and didn't put me to sleep after two minutes.
Every one of JV's reviews on ZMF cans, are so wrong, it is frustrating! Who the heck is he anyway? Better to skip, anything from him.

May 19, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #3,148 of 8,309
I watched this review last night and thought it was well conveyed and yet concise.

Do u mean that Verite is less forward than Aeolus & Auteur?

This is my understanding of level of forwardness:

Verite > Auteur > Aeolus (tot this was laidback tbh)

Verite is in your face type headphone with degree of control.. Listener be too busy deciphering details and the speed it gives to you... A thrilling ride but some may find it tiring...

May 19, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #3,149 of 8,309

Once I heard JV said cables and burn in don't make no difference, I put his videos in entertainment than information category

May 19, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #3,150 of 8,309
Verite is in your face type headphone with degree of control.. Listener be too busy deciphering details and the speed it gives to you... A thrilling ride but some may find it tiring...

Its interesting. When I first had the Verite on loan I felt the same way,but now that I own it and have had more time with it,I feel its more laid back vs. Auteur.
Granted the tubes I use for the Verite accentuate the 3D imaging of it,and I use the Universe pads as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back