ZMF Auteur Thread
Jul 2, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #1,786 of 8,333
Eww lcd2c is better imo.

Well, I just noticed that they are exactly the same MSRP and that people, for that reason, frequently move from one to the other. I myself think the LCD2C is a great headphone. I'm about to find out what the Auteur's about soon.

Jul 2, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #1,787 of 8,333
Yeah, I was pretty disgusted by the AFO as well. Everything that was described seem to match my preferences but when I put it on my head it just didn't click at all, maybe it was the amp I was using, but they were comfy I'll give them that.
I have an AFC at the moment, and I feel like it isn't for me. It's the first planar I've tried so it's hard to say whether planars aren't for me or just this particular model isn't. That said it's a great option when my window AC is blasting. My open cans are less enjoyable when the AC is on.

I'm hoping the Atticus can take the spot of the AFC. Should be here soon enough. Problem is just that my head is more sensitive than most when it comes to headphone comfort which is why I no longer have an Auteur at the moment. It turns out that Zach has a padded suede strap option than can replace the thin leather strap and the hope is that that may solve everything. If that works out I can unload the AFC and eventually add an Auteur back. If not, I guess I'm out of luck! AFC is amazing for comfort if nothing else. I find it rather ugly looking, but it gets the job done.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #1,788 of 8,333
I have an AFC at the moment, and I feel like it isn't for me. It's the first planar I've tried so it's hard to say whether planars aren't for me or just this particular model isn't. That said it's a great option when my window AC is blasting. My open cans are less enjoyable when the AC is on.

I'm hoping the Atticus can take the spot of the AFC. Should be here soon enough. Problem is just that my head is more sensitive than most when it comes to headphone comfort which is why I no longer have an Auteur at the moment. It turns out that Zach has a padded suede strap option than can replace the thin leather strap and the hope is that that may solve everything. If that works out I can unload the AFC and eventually add an Auteur back. If not, I guess I'm out of luck! AFC is amazing for comfort if nothing else. I find it rather ugly looking, but it gets the job done.

Planars are like dynamics in that they come in all flavors.

Jul 2, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #1,789 of 8,333
Planars are like dynamics in that they come in all flavors.
Yea I figured. The main thing it's missing for me is bass impact. I think I'd prefer a little mid bass hump in there even if it's less 'accurate'. But anyway. Back to the Auteur. Looking forward to the next LTD. :o2smile:

Jul 3, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #1,790 of 8,333
It turns out that Zach has a padded suede strap option than can replace the thin leather strap and the hope is that that may solve everything. If that works out I can unload the AFC and eventually add an Auteur back. If not, I guess I'm out of luck! AFC is amazing for comfort if nothing else. I find it rather ugly looking, but it gets the job done.
Yes, the Pilot Pad strap replacement options are standard on Ori and they are super comfortable. I'm not certain if they'll fit Auteur's dimensions and design well, though...has anyone tried this?

Jul 3, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #1,791 of 8,333
Yes, the Pilot Pad strap replacement options are standard on Ori and they are super comfortable. I'm not certain if they'll fit Auteur's dimensions and design well, though...has anyone tried this?
There is one that will fit the Auteur/Atticus/Eikon, but it's not listed on the website currently.

Edit: normally I don't post pics from emails and stuff, but I think this could be useful for anyone with comfort issues like myself. Pics show the leather strap vs padded suede.

20180621100123_IMG_8007.JPG

20180621100135_IMG_8008.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #1,792 of 8,333
I have a LCD2C and i find them to be a good pair headphones for the price, but im craving for bigger bass slam and less darker highs without having too recessed mids. Do you guys think that Auteur is the correct upgrade path for me? Or do you recommend other ZMF headphones like Eikon or Atticus? For reference, my all time fav pair of headphones are the Senn HD650 but they are lacking in bass department for most modern songs these days and a bit too laid back overall. My previous headphones are Focal Elear (good pair of headphones but the wonky mids are dealbreaker for me, heavy), HD800 SDR modded (lean sounding and too unforgiving for modern songs), Fostex TH-X00 (the highs are sibilant and the mids are a tad too recessed for my liking). I wish I can audition them but Im located in the middle of jungle lol.

Haha you have basically named my entire collection of headphones. I currently have LCD2C (used to own LCD-2F), Atticus (have had 2 of them now), Auteur (have had 2 of them now), HD6XX (used to own HD650), Focal Elear (also own Elex), HD800 SDR, and TH-X00 (also EMU Teak). Eikon is the only one that I haven't owned, but I have auditioned on a number of occasions now. I feel the exact same about LCD2C as I can never get over the lack of slam and the upper mid dip. I was hoping LCD2C would fix that from LCD-2F but it didn't. I do have Mobius on the way so I'm still giving Audeze another chance. When I had LCD-2F at that time HD650 was my favorite headphone as well. Since LCD-2F couldn't cut it, I got rid of it and got my first cherry Atticus. Coincidentally, the guy I got my LCD-2F from had upgraded from LCD-2F to Atticus. And then the guy that I sold the LCD-2F to moved on after a few months and upgraded to his own Atticus as well. So there are definitely many people that have moved from LCD-2F to Atticus. I got rid of my cherry Atticus and replaced it with a Cocobolo Atticus and couldn't be happier. In short, Atticus to me is a super HD650 with bass boost. Same type of mids, same type of gentle treble, but a ton more mid-bass and better sub-bass extension. It is like a guilty pleasure HD650 when you crank up the bass EQ and just jam out. Yet it manages to have a wider soundstage, is more detailed, and responds just as well to source gear and tube amps in particular.

Now Eikon could also work for you too if you want more sub-bass rumble and less mid-bass slam. But if you don't need closed back than Auteur brings that same type of Eikon sound signature. It just depends on what type of "bigger bass slam" you want. I will say Elex completely fixes Elear's wonky mids so if that was the perfect headphone for you but the mids were the dealbreaker, well Elex does the job. Atticus slams harder in mid-bass than Elear/Elex, but Elex is all around a more dynamic/punchy presentation. Atticus mids are still more forward and lush like HD650 compared to Elex mids.

I have heard AFC on a couple occasions and I can't get into it. There was a reddit thread a couple days ago that sparked a bit of controversy regarding AFC and how it lacks dynamics and feels a bit dead sounding. I completely agree with that view. I respect the design and comfort as well as the spot on tonal balance. But I just never enjoy listening to it. If you are looking for a closed back to replace AFC that is anything but lifeless, Atticus is it. Just know it won't be anywhere close to neutral and has its own character.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #1,793 of 8,333
There is one that will fit the Auteur/Atticus/Eikon, but it's not listed on the website currently.

Edit: normally I don't post pics from emails and stuff, but I think this could be useful for anyone with comfort issues like myself.
Thanks, that's great info. to know. Is it offered in lambskin as well to match the pads? Although I'm doing ok with the stock Auteur band for now if I crave more comfort for long listening sessions this sounds like the best solution. I do love the Pilot Pad on my Ori. :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #1,794 of 8,333
My Auteurs arrived today. I had time to only listen for 20 minutes, but what I heard sounded very beautiful. I am immediately struck by their inky blackground, resolution, and balance. Can't wait to put more time on them to develop my impressions. The finish of the wood and cable (with blackwood connectors/splitter) look really nice in person. I am impressed by the entirety of the contents included with the headphones.

IMG_4372.JPG
IMG_4374.JPG
IMG_4375.JPG
IMG_4376.JPG
IMG_4384.JPG
IMG_4361.JPG
IMG_4370.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4383.JPG
    IMG_4383.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Jul 4, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #1,795 of 8,333
Thanks, that's great info. to know. Is it offered in lambskin as well to match the pads? Although I'm doing ok with the stock Auteur band for now if I crave more comfort for long listening sessions this sounds like the best solution. I do love the Pilot Pad on my Ori. :smile_phones:
I don’t believe it is, but Zach would know better. Maybe there are plans to offer that option soon enough.

Jul 4, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #1,796 of 8,333
Haha you have basically named my entire collection of headphones. I currently have LCD2C (used to own LCD-2F), Atticus (have had 2 of them now), Auteur (have had 2 of them now), HD6XX (used to own HD650), Focal Elear (also own Elex), HD800 SDR, and TH-X00 (also EMU Teak). Eikon is the only one that I haven't owned, but I have auditioned on a number of occasions now. I feel the exact same about LCD2C as I can never get over the lack of slam and the upper mid dip. I was hoping LCD2C would fix that from LCD-2F but it didn't. I do have Mobius on the way so I'm still giving Audeze another chance. When I had LCD-2F at that time HD650 was my favorite headphone as well. Since LCD-2F couldn't cut it, I got rid of it and got my first cherry Atticus. Coincidentally, the guy I got my LCD-2F from had upgraded from LCD-2F to Atticus. And then the guy that I sold the LCD-2F to moved on after a few months and upgraded to his own Atticus as well. So there are definitely many people that have moved from LCD-2F to Atticus. I got rid of my cherry Atticus and replaced it with a Cocobolo Atticus and couldn't be happier. In short, Atticus to me is a super HD650 with bass boost. Same type of mids, same type of gentle treble, but a ton more mid-bass and better sub-bass extension. It is like a guilty pleasure HD650 when you crank up the bass EQ and just jam out. Yet it manages to have a wider soundstage, is more detailed, and responds just as well to source gear and tube amps in particular.

Now Eikon could also work for you too if you want more sub-bass rumble and less mid-bass slam. But if you don't need closed back than Auteur brings that same type of Eikon sound signature. It just depends on what type of "bigger bass slam" you want. I will say Elex completely fixes Elear's wonky mids so if that was the perfect headphone for you but the mids were the dealbreaker, well Elex does the job. Atticus slams harder in mid-bass than Elear/Elex, but Elex is all around a more dynamic/punchy presentation. Atticus mids are still more forward and lush like HD650 compared to Elex mids.

I have heard AFC on a couple occasions and I can't get into it. There was a reddit thread a couple days ago that sparked a bit of controversy regarding AFC and how it lacks dynamics and feels a bit dead sounding. I completely agree with that view. I respect the design and comfort as well as the spot on tonal balance. But I just never enjoy listening to it. If you are looking for a closed back to replace AFC that is anything but lifeless, Atticus is it. Just know it won't be anywhere close to neutral and has its own character.
I concur with everything @givemetacos says, especially about the Atticus, but not the Elear’s wonky mids (at least to me). The Elear surprised me with its combination of clarity and slam compared to the Atticus/LCD-3, so now it’s a permanent member of my headphone trifecta. Then again I swapped out the stock pads (which IMO are the source of the so-called ‘wonkiness’ - just ask Elex owners with their ‘Clear’ pads) for Elite fenestrated sheepskin pads from @DekoniAudio which have reversed any midrange dippiness that may have been there before and made the Elear better looking, feeling and sounding in one go (probably the best $99 I’ve spent in audio). YMMV but thought I’d share given your predicament.

Jul 4, 2018 at 3:24 AM Post #1,798 of 8,333
I concur with everything @givemetacos says, especially about the Atticus, but not the Elear’s wonky mids (at least to me). The Elear surprised me with its combination of clarity and slam compared to the Atticus/LCD-3, so now it’s a permanent member of my headphone trifecta. Then again I swapped out the stock pads (which IMO are the source of the so-called ‘wonkiness’ - just ask Elex owners with their ‘Clear’ pads) for Elite fenestrated sheepskin pads from @DekoniAudio which have reversed any midrange dippiness that may have been there before and made the Elear better looking, feeling and sounding in one go (probably the best $99 I’ve spent in audio). YMMV but thought I’d share given your predicament.

The Elear mids can be very deceiving because it is so weirdly uneven. There are a ton of tracks it never is a problem. But then there are certain tracks and it is super apparent. It is a bit hard to describe actually because Elear is almost V-shaped in that it has strong bass and a pretty sharp 10k peak, but it isn't a normal V-shaped headphone that slowly slopes down in mids and then slowly slopes back up in treble. There's just this sharp uneveness that plagues the 3-7k area. I know you really like the LCD headphones so I suspect you are less sensitive to dips in that specific upper mid/low treble range. I am probably extra sensitive to that area. It could also just be the types of music you listen to as well. And I've mentioned this before with Audeze headphones, but I really do think I could adjust to it and not notice it if I didn't have so many mid focused headphones that I primarily use. It is really just the switching back and forth that it sticks out to me. Also, if you listen to Elear and Elex (or Clear) side-by-side it becomes much more apparent. I just can't recommend Elear knowing that Elex is out and goes for the same price. I'll have to hear Elex side-by-side with Clear, but I might even like it more than Clear.

But to bring this back on-topic I would still prefer Auteur over both Elex and Clear just for the more natural timbre and better staging abilities. Elex/Clear are really energetic, vibrant, and fun headphones to listen to. Auteur is just a really refined, smooth, and engaging headphone that does everything well without any glaring weaknesses.

Jul 4, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #1,799 of 8,333
My Auteurs arrived today. I had time to only listen for 20 minutes, but what I heard sounded very beautiful. I am immediately struck by their inky blackground, resolution, and balance. Can't wait to put more time on them to develop my impressions. The finish of the wood and cable (with blackwood connectors/splitter) look really nice in person. I am impressed by the entirety of the contents included with the headphones.

Lookin real good! Hope you love em!

Jul 4, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #1,800 of 8,333

Users who are viewing this thread

Back