ZMF Auteur Thread
Feb 26, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #796 of 8,329
Impressions to come after I've had some time, but 3 songs in I am in love. This thing is made for metal

That what I keep trying to tell people!
\m/ :L3000: \m/

Feb 26, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #797 of 8,329
It's interesting how you can really see the pores on that teak, as opposed to the EMU Teak headphones whose cups appear to be very smooth/semi-glossy.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/e-mu-teak-headphones

that's lacquer finish (E-Mu Teaks) vs varnish (Auteur). Each has its proponents. I'm really into Zach's "touch" w/varnish, letting the grain, pores, and subtle variations come through.

wood is beautiful...might was well see what it really looks like.

Feb 26, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #798 of 8,329
That what I keep trying to tell people!
\m/ :L3000: \m/

Man you really nailed the review on this thing. I am grooving along to bass lines which I've never heard with such clarity and visceral impact before, they are not overpowering or overbearing, just RIGHT

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #799 of 8,329
Man you really nailed the review on this thing. I am grooving along to bass lines which I've never heard with such clarity and visceral impact before, they are not overpowering or overbearing, just RIGHT

Thanks man! Yeah, I love the bass on the Auteur, it’s so good!

Feb 27, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #801 of 8,329
How would you compare the bass to the Atticus, especially in terms of visceral impact?

It depends a lot on the amp, but generally the Atticus hits bigger and rounder in the midbass with a sizable hump in that region, has a warm lower midrange, and subbass that is a bit less clear and rolls off earlier.

Auteur is flatter through the subbass, midbass and lower mid - more like a planar, but the driver also hits with a lot of visceral force, even with less total volume than Atticus. The Auteur is more clear and defined, especially as you start to go below 70 or 80Hz. The Auteur is faster in both attack and decay while the Atticus is more rounded. Auteur will give you a more connected sense of PRAT. More presence in the subbass means the Auteur may hit harder in some scenarios, depending on the fundamental frequency.

If I’m comparing it to other things... let’s see. In a football analogy, the Auteur is like a linebacker and the Atticus is like a big defensive lineman. Auteur is faster and can do more things. It is violent and explosive. Atticus relies on its power and strength - everything it does is big and massive.

If they were tools, Auteur would be a claw hammer and Atticus would be a mallet. You can swing the hammer faster, whereas the mallet swings a little slower, but with more weight behind it. They might release similar amounts of energy, but one relies more on its mass to do the work while the other relies on its lesser mass but higher velocity to create the energy at the point of impact.

Feb 27, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #802 of 8,329
It depends a lot on the amp, but generally the Atticus hits bigger and rounder in the midbass with a sizable hump in that region, has a warm lower midrange, and subbass that is a bit less clear and rolls off earlier.

Auteur is flatter through the subbass, midbass and lower mid - more like a planar, but the driver also hits with a lot of visceral force, even with less total volume than Atticus. The Auteur is more clear and defined, especially as you start to go below 70 or 80Hz. The Auteur is faster in both attack and decay while the Atticus is more rounded. Auteur will give you a more connected sense of PRAT. More presence in the subbass means the Auteur may hit harder in some scenarios, depending on the fundamental frequency.

If I’m comparing it to other things... let’s see. In a football analogy, the Auteur is like a linebacker and the Atticus is like a big defensive lineman. Auteur is faster and can do more things. It is violent and explosive. Atticus relies on its power and strength - everything it does is big and massive.

If they were tools, Auteur would be a claw hammer and Atticus would be a mallet. You can swing the hammer faster, whereas the mallet swings a little slower, but with more weight behind it. They might release similar amounts of energy, but one relies more on its mass to do the work while the other relies on its lesser mass but higher velocity to create the energy at the point of impact.

Perfect description of Atticus...I am totally hooked on it's midbass.

Not even sure why I am in this thread...I need to leave before it cost me more money :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Feb 28, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #804 of 8,329

Reminds me of this: "If the Auteur were a president, she would be Baberaham Lincoln."

Feb 28, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #805 of 8,329
Yay! Burn-in!!!

Feb 28, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #806 of 8,329
film metaphors...guess it was inevitable.

you know, Zach is way ahead of most on the topic of film. So I'm moved to declare this prospectively: after hearing the Auteur 2-3X at CanJam...in no way does this headphone remind me of the shower scene from PSYCHO...or the "chest-burst" scene from ALIEN.

(the 1st "face-to-face contact" scene from ARRIVAL...definitely)

Feb 28, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #807 of 8,329
What about the chest-burst scene from Spaceballs? :D

Mar 1, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #809 of 8,329
Distracting going to work these days as all I want to do is go home and rock out with these bad boys! So far running from my laptop -> Mojo -> Line out to Lyr with stock tubes. Have the Modi 2 uber as well but have always found that it accentuates the highs too much. Given how wonderfully neutral the Auteurs are (and how badly metal music is produced), it gets borderline shouty for my ears. With the Mojo/Lyr its bliss, works well with the Mojo as dac/amp as well but the Lyr adds more punch to the low end.

Mar 1, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #810 of 8,329
I was zeroing in on the Focal Clear as a good all-around HP, until all the feedback on the Auteur. The looks are in its own class (among other ZMF products)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back