ZMF Auteur Thread
Oct 20, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #49 of 8,283
To tide you guys over..

Here's some pics of what just came in the mail today :)

IMG_20171020_155854.jpg IMG_20171020_155707.jpg IMG_20171020_155619.jpg

More thoughts coming shortly.

Oct 20, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #53 of 8,283
Some preliminary comments..

A lot leaner than Eikon while still retaining the aspects that made me love my Eikon.

The extension is better than most other open-backs I've heard.

The leaking isn't too too bad, not K1K/HD800 level, at least.

Sounds a lot more 'even' than the Eikon does. With a fuller sound and the larger stage really helps in that aspect.

(This is all with the Neutral Auteur pads).

Ask away.

Oct 20, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #54 of 8,283

A lot leaner than Eikon while still retaining the aspects that made me love my Eikon.

Sounds a lot more 'even' than the Eikon does. With a fuller sound and the larger stage really helps in that aspect.

Ask away.

Could you explain in greater detail what you mean by "leaner"?

Oct 20, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #55 of 8,283
Could you explain in greater detail what you mean by "leaner"?

I'll try my best with text.

Eikon is pretty thick in the bass/midrange area.

Auteur feels more airy and relaxed in that area, the extension and the hard hits are still there but it feels more open in a sense.

It feels like it gives the treble more room to breathe.

This is likely mostly a side effect of moving from Closed to Open with the same driver.

Oct 20, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #56 of 8,283

Ask away.

Can you give some impressions on their soundstage and instrument separation? How resolving are they?

Oct 20, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #57 of 8,283
I'll try my best with text.

Eikon is pretty thick in the bass/midrange area.

Auteur feels more airy and relaxed in that area, the extension and the hard hits are still there but it feels more open in a sense.

It feels like it gives the treble more room to breathe.

This is likely mostly a side effect of moving from Closed to Open with the same driver.

My question would be--what changes when you listen w/the perforated Eikon pads that I'm told are shipped as alternate pads w/the Auteur?

Oct 20, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #58 of 8,283
Can you give some impressions on their soundstage and instrument separation? How resolving are they?

Mm, good question.

I'm wearing my HE-6's right now and I'd say the Auteur has a slightly larger stage.

Air between instruments was pretty good.

Honestly it feels like an open, refined Eikon. Which it is. Take an Eikon, tune it more neutral and open it up and this is what you've got. He pulled off the sound he wanted beautifully.

My question would be--what changes when you listen w/the perforated Eikon pads that I'm told are shipped as alternate pads w/the Auteur?

Eikon pads are a bit warmer, less treble, more midbassy. I prefer the more neutral sound of the Auteur pads.

Oct 20, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #59 of 8,283
Mm, good question.

I'm wearing my HE-6's right now and I'd say the Auteur has a slightly larger stage.

Air between instruments was pretty good.

Honestly it feels like an open, refined Eikon. Which it is. Take an Eikon, tune it more neutral and open it up and this is what you've got. He pulled off the sound he wanted beautifully.

Eikon pads are a bit warmer, less treble, more midbassy. I prefer the more neutral sound of the Auteur pads.

Thank you for that. Unfortunately, I’ve never heard the Eikon either.

Oct 20, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #60 of 8,283
Thank you for that. Unfortunately, I’ve never heard the Eikon either.

That's unfortunate.

I think you really need to hear Eikon to truly understand Auteur.

You can see and hear the inspiration and the work that was put into making Auteur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back