ZMF Auteur Thread
Sep 2, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #3,347 of 8,365
@Monsterzero BTW I love the new "location", but funnily enough it puts you in Edgewater N.J. according to Google maps. Not sure if that's where "the Boys" were really hanging out though...lol
Geez,I sure hope not! I know Phil loved SoCal,but being from LA, I do not recall Dinos in LaLa Land....Regardless thanks...glad someone got the reference! :)

Sep 2, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #3,348 of 8,365
That would be a good way to go, I agree...I personally have never been a big fan of EQ. Done right I think it can be extremely useful, but for me it fans the flames of nervosa...I'd be nitpicking too much over frequencies rather than listening & enjoying. Glad it works for you though!
The Loki only has 4 bands to play around with to keep things simple. Where I have mine set oddly enough works for all of my headphones, except for the Z1R's where I have to dial down the bass. It's also an analog device so there are no digital artifacts added to your setup. It's a great tweak that I find more beneficial than cables. Although I do have the 2K copper cable on my Auteurs and it's a big step up from the stock cable. :)

Sep 2, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #3,349 of 8,365
That would be a good way to go, I agree...I personally have never been a big fan of EQ. Done right I think it can be extremely useful, but for me it fans the flames of nervosa...I'd be nitpicking too much over frequencies rather than listening & enjoying. Glad it works for you though!

"fans the flames of nervosa"

(fantastic phrase!)

Sep 7, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #3,350 of 8,365
While I wait for Santa Zach to bring out the B stock and demo Verite to place under my tree, I'm still tweaking the hell out of my system and finding the Auteur Blackwoods just keep getting
better. They are so much better than they originally were even after a few hundred hours of break in. I have detailed in the past how I got the subtle hardness out of them and how doing that improved everything by about 2 to 5% or more across the board! My cables are bizzare but easily the best I have heard and by no small margin. I tune and tweak like mad...yes indeed....All manner of wood! Waterfall Bubinga slabs...no top! Make do headphone weighted stand. Transformer cover and a coat hanger! Got a maple cone cable damper and 4 Mpingo discs on my carbon fiber cables. Just double stacked ikea shelves under air bladdered Mapleshade Ambrosia. I love the Mad Sci sutff,(their footers) and a few of their cables! Headphoned kiwis are the bomb! Their headphone cable hardwired! Yeah all crazy right....like a fox. Could still hear an improvement putting cones under double Ikeas. And guess what DH ceramic sound the best of what Ive tried there! Hell I could go really nuts with 3 more Mad footers. Content for the moment.

What the hell is the point. The Auteurs are more than resolving enough to let you every every damn iota of detail and everything just gets better!

I will continue being an exceedingly good boy so that I can get something special from Zach's preholiday list!

Merry Listening and some happy new gear!
IMG_20190907_035927752.jpg

jgwtriode

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #3,351 of 8,365
Overall i'm not big on burn in, i usually don't hear much difference (very abused ears here). But this set definitely changes over time. when i first got them (new, first owner), they sounded a bit hard, with an odd hollowness in the mids. i'm probably going on 150ish hours, and the hardness is gone, everything sounds more organic, more analog, if you will. the hollowness in the mids is completely gone. they sound absolutely terrific! one thing i'm confused on is the bass. it's tighter sounding, but seems slightly less impactful at the lowest levels. anyone else notice this? i do notice textural detail has increased though.

also wanted to say i really like the vali 2 with them. i picked up one for a secondary listening station, and got a nos GE 6CG7 for it. color me impressed! i had a vali 2 years ago when it came out, and i didn't care for it that much (sounded dull and lacking in dynamics). but this time around, with this tube, i'm quite impressed. i still prefer my bottlehead crack w/speedball for lushness and soundstage, or my rs-08 for neutrality and dynamic punch, but the vali 2 splits the difference well, and doesnt make me think i'm compromising on sound quality. i will admit though the bass is a touch boomy on the vali 2 with the GE tube. it's not bad, per se, but not as tight and precise as either my crack or rs-08. it's fun with the Auteur, but not the Atticus (too boomy).

Sep 7, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #3,352 of 8,365
Overall i'm not big on burn in, i usually don't hear much difference (very abused ears here). But this set definitely changes over time. when i first got them (new, first owner), they sounded a bit hard, with an odd hollowness in the mids. i'm probably going on 150ish hours, and the hardness is gone, everything sounds more organic, more analog, if you will. the hollowness in the mids is completely gone. they sound absolutely terrific! one thing i'm confused on is the bass. it's tighter sounding, but seems slightly less impactful at the lowest levels. anyone else notice this? i do notice textural detail has increased though.

also wanted to say i really like the vali 2 with them. i picked up one for a secondary listening station, and got a nos GE 6CG7 for it. color me impressed! i had a vali 2 years ago when it came out, and i didn't care for it that much (sounded dull and lacking in dynamics). but this time around, with this tube, i'm quite impressed. i still prefer my bottlehead crack w/speedball for lushness and soundstage, or my rs-08 for neutrality and dynamic punch, but the vali 2 splits the difference well, and doesnt make me think i'm compromising on sound quality. i will admit though the bass is a touch boomy on the vali 2 with the GE tube. it's not bad, per se, but not as tight and precise as either my crack or rs-08. it's fun with the Auteur, but not the Atticus (too boomy).
Vali 2 is one of the best values out there (IMO), not surprised that it pairs well with the Auteur. My demo (borrowed from a friend) with the A was a wonderful experience, I can see how it would pair well with the Vali 2. A little bloom in the bass can be quite nice at times.

Sep 8, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #3,353 of 8,365
While I'm very happy with how it sounds with my mjolnir 2, lately I've been really tempted to grab a more old-school warm, tubey-sounding amp just to hear how they'll behave with it. It's just a curiosity thing so I'm thinking something cheap (under 500€ or so); Right now I'm thinking something to the tune of a ZDT jr. or WA3. Does anyone have any recommendations for this?

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #3,354 of 8,365
While I'm very happy with how it sounds with my mjolnir 2, lately I've been really tempted to grab a more old-school warm, tubey-sounding amp just to hear how they'll behave with it. It's just a curiosity thing so I'm thinking something cheap (under 500€ or so); Right now I'm thinking something to the tune of a ZDT jr. or WA3. Does anyone have any recommendations for this?

ZDTj is a great match with ZMF cans. One of the ZMF experts says it pairs beautifully with his Auteur and his HD 800.

I got these tubes per @Wes S, our resident tube guru, and they took the amp to the next level:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MULLARD-56...TLE-DOT-HIFIMAN-EF2A-SWEET-TONE-/323883411211

Even harmonicas sound smooth and rich with no harshness at high volumes (my sibilance test).

I can honestly say that Atticus + ZDTj with Mullards is an addictive pairing. Stock tubes were good. Western Electrics were better. Mullards are endgame.

Sep 8, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #3,355 of 8,365
Thanks, I already have those exact mullards laying around, leftovers from my old little dot mk2. That's one of the reasons I'm looking at those two: I have tubes for both from my old and current amps. I'm leaning toward the ZDT jr, though.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 2:13 AM Post #3,360 of 8,365
I waited about 2 and a half months for mine. If I remember correctly, that was with 10-15 people in front of me in the Auteur spreadsheet. Totally worth the wait :)

I had to wait 11 weeks, but I ordered mine when the Aeolus order sheet was in the 80's so I assume they were just swamped.
Whiners :ksc75smile:

I waited over 4 months for my pre-order Blackwood Auteur!
Totally worth the wait :)
Totally :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back