ZMF Auteur Thread
Sep 29, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #2,461 of 8,354

I love my Blackwood w/ brass, but I have to say these do look bad-@$$ :L3000:

Thanks. I like brass too! So hard to decide. I love these though. So metal! The Blackheart Auteur. \m/

Sep 30, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #2,463 of 8,354
Another great review D! :)
Is the sub-bass too rolled off with the Auteur?
I have the impression that Alex's amps do better with planars than dynamic headphones.

@Hansotek I’d love to hear your thoughts on the pairing as well. I really enjoy the Auteurs paired with the MCTH and I’m hoping the Platinum will carry on that same Cavalli house sound.

Sep 30, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #2,464 of 8,354
@Hansotek I’d love to hear your thoughts on the pairing as well. I really enjoy the Auteurs paired with the MCTH and I’m hoping the Platinum will carry on that same Cavalli house sound.

Yeah, definitely. It’s like the MCTH in a lot of ways but a bit fuller and more robust. Not far off from your GLM2 in a lot of respects, but the GLM2 is more neutral across the board with better subbass extension. LP is more mid-forward. Very sweet & emotional listen with Auteur. It’s just very likeable.

Sep 30, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #2,465 of 8,354
Another great review D! :)
Is the sub-bass too rolled off with the Auteur?
I have the impression that Alex's amps do better with planars than dynamic headphones.

Depends on which amp you are comparing to, but yeah, I would say there is generally a little subbass roll off in that last octave.

Sep 30, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #2,466 of 8,354
Yeah, definitely. It’s like the MCTH in a lot of ways but a bit fuller and more robust. Not far off from your GLM2 in a lot of respects, but the GLM2 is more neutral across the board with better subbass extension. LP is more mid-forward. Very sweet & emotional listen with Auteur. It’s just very likeable.

Sounds like a winner to me. I love my HD650s and find a mid-forward sound to to coincide with my tastes. I enjoy the GL MK2 but find it too neutral for the Auteurs but it plays very nice with my AFO/E-Mu Teaks.

Thanks for the feedback Hansotek!

Oct 3, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #2,467 of 8,354
So it looks like Zach is releasing a new flagship headphone... the Verite

8F89E619-C136-4013-93B7-0217E4CC1C3C.png

Oct 3, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #2,468 of 8,354
Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #2,469 of 8,354
Oct 3, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #2,470 of 8,354
Ello guys, I asked for recommendation and help the other day and eventually I went to demo some hahaha

Utopia is poisonous....sounded so right...so pricey
Auteur felt like a military helmet but is my most pref sound sig after utopia
Clear's next. Equal vs Auteur but slight spike made me pref Auteur
Atticus....fun as hell but not for me...i got tired fast
Elear, bassier and muddier version of Clear IMO

I got Clear in the end due to cost difference 2nd hand. Thinking of spending the change on an amp/dac. Looks like I'm heading down the hole...

Thank you guys for the recommendations and view on the different HPs ^^

Oct 3, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #2,471 of 8,354
Ello guys, I asked for recommendation and help the other day and eventually I went to demo some hahaha

Utopia is poisonous....sounded so right...so pricey
Auteur felt like a military helmet but is my most pref sound sig after utopia
Clear's next. Equal vs Auteur but slight spike made me pref Auteur
Atticus....fun as hell but not for me...i got tired fast
Elear, bassier and muddier version of Clear IMO

I got Clear in the end due to cost difference 2nd hand. Thinking of spending the change on an amp/dac. Looks like I'm heading down the hole...

Thank you guys for the recommendations and view on the different HPs ^^
Good solid choice - enjoy!

I agree that the utopias are great...and pricey

The auteur is a great could molimentaint headphone.

The elears are a good xheaper version of the focal range. Ymmv.

And the clears are a good all rounder - not completely my cup of tea but well regarded by many

Oct 3, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #2,473 of 8,354
Oct 3, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #2,474 of 8,354
Already burned in. Now alternating use between my LCD-4.

Oct 3, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #2,475 of 8,354
I was just being sarcastic.... due to the quick turnover of your Auteur.... haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back