ZMF Auteur Thread
Sep 16, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #2,371 of 8,367
I'll have same problem as yours when the silkwood shows up (with Utopia and EFO).... the HA-300 is certainly on the list but considering i'm using 6-8 hours per day, the tubes may not live long enough before they need replacement so I'm leaning towards Audio-gd M9 or HE-9... anyone using Audio-gd gear to drive their Auteurs?

Having owned the M9 and having just reviewed the HA-300, those two are not even on the same dimensional plane. YMMV, of course.

Sep 16, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #2,373 of 8,367
Tubes last 5 to 10,000 hrs 8hrs a day is nothing the telephone company used them and they were on 24-7.
Not that long ago everything ran on tubes TV radio and they didn't burn out.
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I hope it's not too off topic) but don't tubes pop from the stress of turning on & off, or is that an old audio wives tale? I know the sound quality degrades with use, but I thought the burn out occurred that way.

Sep 16, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #2,374 of 8,367
I'll have same problem as yours when the silkwood shows up (with Utopia and EFO).... the HA-300 is certainly on the list but considering i'm using 6-8 hours per day, the tubes may not live long enough before they need replacement so I'm leaning towards Audio-gd M9 or HE-9... anyone using Audio-gd gear to drive their Auteurs?
I have the 1AMP with +9db gain option running balanced off LP-RS-06 DAC with the +21db gain and they sounded fantastic.

Sep 16, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #2,376 of 8,367
Having owned the M9 and having just reviewed the HA-300, those two are not even on the same dimensional plane. YMMV, of course.

Can you share more info between the 2? thank you.......

Sep 16, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #2,377 of 8,367
@ehqhvm Those look simply gorgeous! I was set on blackwood but the cocobolo looks beautiful. Thanks for the posting mate, much appreciated.

Sep 17, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #2,379 of 8,367
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I hope it's not too off topic) but don't tubes pop from the stress of turning on & off, or is that an old audio wives tale? I know the sound quality degrades with use, but I thought the burn out occurred that way.

Wives tale
When TVs had tubes how many times does someone turn there TV on and off in a day.
Hell communication satellites have travailing wave tubes in them more efficient at microwaves. Nobody can go up there if they go pop so they must last years.

Sep 17, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #2,382 of 8,367
But then how will we justify our hording?
Ok everyone, let's make a pact - nobody here tell anyone else's significant other

Oh my SO knows that I have multiple headphones and IEMs... just not how much they cost :wink:

Sep 17, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #2,383 of 8,367
But then how will we justify our hording?
Ok everyone, let's make a pact - nobody here tell anyone else's significant other

We'll just grab a hammer and break them once done listening!
If anyone asks just tell them they're "cheap" :)

Oh my SO knows that I have multiple headphones and IEMs... just not how much they cost :wink:

I've used that tactic too:
My Auteur Blackwood costed me only 600$ cause they're a limited edition. I'm one of few in the world!
It actually works haha. Fortunately nobody has access at my paypal. I do store them in their original box so the argument doesn't come up or someone decides to take a pic with those new "AI cellphone cameras" :wink:

@zach915m
We have wood, pads, mechanical parts, wires, drivers and sound. We need to come up with a disguise next. Operation ZMF camo! :spy:

Sep 17, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #2,384 of 8,367
Let's just all be glad that Zach didn't design the Auteur/Atticus/Eikon with interchangeable cups or we'd really be screwed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back