ZMF Auteur Thread
Sep 23, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #2,401 of 8,281
Tried the Auteur Suede pads. Not for me, but...

If you find Auteur on the bright side, you might really like these. To my ears these pads move the Auteur tonality closer to that of my HD-6xx. Again, not bad, but I prefer the perforated Auteur lambskin.

That is exactly my position. I just past one hundred hours on my new Blackwoods. I have the stock Auteur pads, the Eikon perforated pads, and the Suede pads so now it is time to start pad rolling. When I auditioned the Blackwoods I found the stock pads very bright. Not quite Utopia bright but was really impressed when Zach installed the Eikon pads. At a hundred hours I still find my pair a tad brighter than Zach's demo pair but then his probably had many hundreds of hours on them. My pure silver cable might be contributing to that impression. Looking forward to giving the Suede pads a try.

At a hundred hours the sound signature has rounded into a very nicely cohesive sound. The bottom end has become more authoritative and the top end has blended in to create a very pleasing whole. Looking forward to many pleasurable hours with these.

Sep 23, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #2,402 of 8,281
That is exactly my position. I just past one hundred hours on my new Blackwoods. I have the stock Auteur pads, the Eikon perforated pads, and the Suede pads so now it is time to start pad rolling. When I auditioned the Blackwoods I found the stock pads very bright. Not quite Utopia bright but was really impressed when Zach installed the Eikon pads. At a hundred hours I still find my pair a tad brighter than Zach's demo pair but then his probably had many hundreds of hours on them. My pure silver cable might be contributing to that impression. Looking forward to giving the Suede pads a try.

At a hundred hours the sound signature has rounded into a very nicely cohesive sound. The bottom end has become more authoritative and the top end has blended in to create a very pleasing whole. Looking forward to many pleasurable hours with these.
You just made me go slap on the Eikon perf lambskin pads. I would put them between the Auteur lambskins & suedes. A little less ‘veil’, but also less bass boost.

I definitely prefer the lambskin perfs. I’ll have to compare again using my brighter equipment and cables to see if that changes my opinion.

Sep 23, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #2,403 of 8,281
Zach was kind enough to sell me a pair of the Cocobolo Auteur, I must say, he really outdid himself. They are simply stunning in person. I also have a pair of blackwoods, so once these have some burn in on them, I will probably write up a short comparison if anyone is interested in my opinion of how the wood alters the sound profile of the headphones.

I wish Zach's cans fit my head properly... I really like the way they sound but they fall off my tiny head and I cannot get them to stay on. It was a deal-breaker even though I didn't want that to be the case...

The craftsmanship is second to none and all his cans are 'special' for sure.

I hope he continues to kick butt now and in the future!

Sep 24, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #2,404 of 8,281
I wish Zach's cans fit my head properly... I really like the way they sound but they fall off my tiny head and I cannot get them to stay on. It was a deal-breaker even though I didn't want that to be the case...

Anyone using/tried non-perf lambskin Auteur pads?

Sep 26, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #2,405 of 8,281

Was the clamp too loose? It can be adjusted by bending the headband into more of a V shape. I've let my 12 year old niece use my Auteur and it fits her fine despite the cups being nearly the size of her head

Sep 26, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #2,406 of 8,281
Got the blackwoods and have to say, they are really nice to look at in person. From the photos I preferred the aesthetics of the teak but with both in hand its a tie.

Limited listening session so far - early thoughts are I see where people are coming from when they say its smoother than the teaks and has a darker background. Interestingly, I am finding more glare in the uppermids/treble with the blackwood+Eikon pads combo vs. the teak+Eikon pads combo, was expecting the opposite! Early days yet though, will update as I get more thoughts.

Sep 26, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #2,407 of 8,281
Just got the Pendant this afternoon; now the hard work begins. There can only be one!

DSC_3147-squashed.jpg

Sep 26, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #2,408 of 8,281
My auteur should be coming in tomorrow!!

A big thank you to Zach for getting everything shipped out quickly :smiley:

Sep 26, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #2,409 of 8,281
Just got the Pendant this afternoon; now the hard work begins. There can only be one!

Nice selection of amps! Definitely post your thoughts on these!

I’m a little biased to the one on the left:wink:

Sep 27, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #2,411 of 8,281
Got the blackwoods and have to say, they are really nice to look at in person. From the photos I preferred the aesthetics of the teak but with both in hand its a tie.

Limited listening session so far - early thoughts are I see where people are coming from when they say its smoother than the teaks and has a darker background. Interestingly, I am finding more glare in the uppermids/treble with the blackwood+Eikon pads combo vs. the teak+Eikon pads combo, was expecting the opposite! Early days yet though, will update as I get more thoughts.

Things will calm after you let them run for a while :wink:

We love comparisons!! :)

Sep 27, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #2,413 of 8,281
Managed to get my hands on a pair. A very happy person right now :D

great value and honest amp - works well with the auteur (and lcd2 and elear)

Sep 27, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #2,415 of 8,281

Users who are viewing this thread

Back