ZMF Auteur Thread
May 25, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #1,501 of 8,337
... the wait time and the fact that these headphones weren't of the traditional "product to market" type may have made him reluctant to take them as seriously as he should have.
I don't think it was that. In fact, I'm 99.5% sure it's not that. To counter the point, he showed quite enthusiastic support for the E-Mu Teak, which is very difficult to get.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to poo poo on Tyll. He's a great guy. Good to talk with. Hell, I had lunch with the guy a year ago. It was fun.

May 25, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #1,502 of 8,337
I thought Tyll's taste in signatures was very similar to mine, until I read his lukewarm review of the Atticus, which to me is a beyond incredible headphone. Totally agreed with his X2 and EMU Teak reviews, as well as his LCD2C review.

I miss Metal571, his EQ settings are soooooooo on point.

I don't know if I would have been happy with my Auteur out of the box since I am a basshead, but the fact they respond so damn well to EQ makes me very happy with my purchase. Even using the stock Auteur pads, you can crank up the sub/mid bass with barely a sacrifice elsewhere and enjoy some very very nice bass.

The HP-3 sub bass definitely has more gusto, and I prefer its soundstage depth and width, but otherwise I find the Auteur excels in tonality and mids. Maybe about equal in sex appeal Also, the Auteur's imaging is aweeeeeeeesome and it is great for gaming!

Last edited:
May 25, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #1,503 of 8,337
I don't hear any harshness in the Auteur anymore, currently running it with stock cable and eikon pads (I also have the OCC cable which I initially used). Also since I got a new table and upgraded my PC listening setup I'm using my new WA6 instead of the SE which I have for my CDs.

Pretty! What wood is that?

May 25, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #1,504 of 8,337
I don't think it was that. In fact, I'm 99.5% sure it's not that. To counter the point, he showed quite enthusiastic support for the E-Mu Teak, which is very difficult to get.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to poo poo on Tyll. He's a great guy. Good to talk with. Hell, I had lunch with the guy a year ago. It was fun.

Maybe, but the difference is that it's essentially a Fostex can, just like Denon. And I also didn't see the E-MU teak on the WoF either. That video he did covered all of them if I remember correctly, and none made it to the wall.

May 26, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #1,506 of 8,337
Maybe, but the difference is that it's essentially a Fostex can, just like Denon. And I also didn't see the E-MU teak on the WoF either. That video he did covered all of them if I remember correctly, and none made it to the wall.
Ok, so because the E-Mu Teak is a Foster headphone, that's why Tyll never cared for ZMF cans? You're arguing off point here.

May 26, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #1,507 of 8,337
Ok, so because the E-Mu Teak is a Foster headphone, that's why Tyll never cared for ZMF cans? You're arguing off point here.

what? no you brought up the E-MU Teak... I'm saying he did a video on all of them together, not just the Teak. And while he did prefer the E-MU, it still didn't make the WoF. Maybe if it had been more readily available it would have? My point is that there hasn't been a non-traditionally available product on the WoF other than some of the electrostats at the top end. In fact one of the requirements for WoF is that the product is commercially available. That's why the MCTH never made it (and I imagine a number of other products). So just maybe that's why he never bothered getting into ZMF cans...

Last edited:
May 26, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #1,509 of 8,337
I thought Tyll's taste in signatures was very similar to mine, until I read his lukewarm review of the Atticus, which to me is a beyond incredible headphone. Totally agreed with his X2 and EMU Teak reviews, as well as his LCD2C review.

I miss Metal571, his EQ settings are soooooooo on point.

I don't know if I would have been happy with my Auteur out of the box since I am a basshead, but the fact they respond so damn well to EQ makes me very happy with my purchase. Even using the stock Auteur pads, you can crank up the sub/mid bass with barely a sacrifice elsewhere and enjoy some very very nice bass.

The HP-3 sub bass definitely has more gusto, and I prefer its soundstage depth and width, but otherwise I find the Auteur excels in tonality and mids. Maybe about equal in sex appeal Also, the Auteur's imaging is aweeeeeeeesome and it is great for gaming!

On the EQ thing, I have a bass boost preset for them in Roon for EDM that I like and can share with you, if you want to try:

Overall Gain: -6.0dB

FR: 27.0Hz Gain: +4.7dB Q: 1.0

FR: 54.0Hz Gain: +2.25dB Q: 1.0

This crosses over pretty naturally between the two Q factors and works with the headphone's own tuning to crossover nicely into the midbass without bloat.

May 28, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #1,512 of 8,337
May 29, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #1,513 of 8,337
Michanikos in. Can’t wait to try this out with my Auteur after work. I love the looks of silver cables.

My Garage1217 Horizon III and Polaris should also both be in today. This is going to be an interesting week comparing some options with my Auteur. Thankfully this should be the end of my dabbling with different amps for a long while. I plan on choosing one or just sticking with the RME ADI-2 DAC headphone out if the options on the Garage1217 amps don’t make enough difference.

DD92001F-C8AA-41CE-A896-C888AA49B8CE.jpeg

May 29, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #1,514 of 8,337
Michanikos in. Can’t wait to try this out with my Auteur after work. I love the looks of silver cables.

My Garage1217 Horizon III and Polaris should also both be in today. This is going to be an interesting week comparing some options with my Auteur. Thankfully this should be the end of my dabbling with different amps for a long while. I plan on choosing one or just sticking with the RME ADI-2 DAC headphone out if the options on the Garage1217 amps don’t make enough difference.

And all that I can see it's just another lemon tree... hahaha
Nice cable there :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back