ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Feb 4, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #5,731 of 6,196
Atriums sound great with Aegis amp.
atrium-aegis.jpg
aegis.jpg

Feb 4, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #5,732 of 6,196
Wonderful timing - I had a friend over and I had him listen to my atriums with the recently installed universe pads I had from a few weeks back as I was curious. Upon listening he immediately noticed that it didn’t appear to have that same magic he had heard with them last time (with the caldera pads). I swapped over to the caldera UP and we both agreed that the sense of space and overall soundstage was simply better and more natural sounding with the caldera pads. I hate rolling pads too so I was simply waiting for him to confirm my thoughts and I plan on just keeping it on the caldera pads for good.
are you using the solid mesh? cus the treble gets way too hot for me with the caldera pad

Feb 4, 2024 at 11:34 PM Post #5,733 of 6,196
are you using the solid mesh? cus the treble gets way too hot for me with the caldera pad
Not sure the name but I believe my mesh is stock and it’s visually perforated. No issues with treble hotness in my setup, of which I’m definitely very sensitive too. Vinyl rig doesn’t hurt either lol.

Feb 5, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #5,735 of 6,196
Sorry to jump in - I also ended using Caldera UP + solid mesh - great combo.

Feb 5, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #5,736 of 6,196
IMG_2910.jpg

After a few evening sessions with the Atrium, I hooked up my Auteurs for a quick comparison. Both have the the perf. universe pads installed. Edit: my mistake, I have the Eikon lambskin perf. pads on the Auteur at the moment. The Autriums have the stock Universe lambskin perf.

The Auteur holds up pretty well tbh, due to its more forward sound the Atrium sounds slightly veiled immediately after switching between them. However, after a little while when the hearing has settled, the perception changes.

The Atrium has a larger soundstage, and somehow it manages to make everything sound extremely pleasant (timbre), yet not lacking anything when it comes to detail retrieval and separation. It's considerably warmer in sound signature than the Auteur, but it doesn't have the drawbacks of say the Aeolus to my ears, which I consider too warm and veiled.
After getting accustomed to the Atrium sound and switching back to the Auteurs, the more forward presentation and closer soundstage jumps at you immediately, the sound is slightly more crisp, but also more aggressive, I can pick out sibilance with some tracks, something I didn't notice before owning the Atriums. Overall the Auteurs also sound leaner down low (not anemic, just leaner than the Atriums).

I guess I'm mainly confirming what seems to be a common opinion on the Atriums - that they have an incredibly pleasant sound signature without the drawbacks that typically comes with "pleasant sound" - i.e. a lack of characteristics that tend to make a headphone sound "refined" which to me is a lot about detail retrieval and separation.

At the same time I have to give credit to the Auteurs - they hold up remarkably well, at this point I'm not even sure that the Atrium's replace them for me, I can see a case for keeping both.

I also haven't tested other pads with the Atriums yet, so there's a lot to explore still.
we have the exact same setup, i am running my atrium on the RME + Echo as well, great pairing.

Feb 5, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #5,738 of 6,196
Feb 6, 2024 at 1:29 AM Post #5,741 of 6,196
Wonderful timing - I had a friend over and I had him listen to my atriums with the recently installed universe pads I had from a few weeks back as I was curious. Upon listening he immediately noticed that it didn’t appear to have that same magic he had heard with them last time (with the caldera pads). I swapped over to the caldera UP and we both agreed that the sense of space and overall soundstage was simply better and more natural sounding with the caldera pads. I hate rolling pads too so I was simply waiting for him to confirm my thoughts and I plan on just keeping it on the caldera pads for good.

If Caldera UP was the only pad available for Atrium I'd be so satisfied with the sound. I might be in the minority when it comes to rolling pads. I just like changing up the sound, or if I'm in the mood for something different. At the end of the day it's about finding what works for you and that's why I think ZMF is so awesome for that.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 7:11 PM Post #5,744 of 6,196
just got the cocobolo atrium, it’s beautiful and sound amazing with holo bliss. Is the 2k copper or verite silver better sound with atrium vs regular stock ? Or other cable?
Wow those are beautiful! Regarding cables, I would suggest burning the headphone in for about 200 hours and then see where you stand in relation to how the Atrium sounds.

You can also roll pads as well as mesh varieties to make adjustments in the sound.

That being said, I feel the 2K as well as Lektrik silver cables sound significantly better than the stock. I haven't heard the new Grand Palladium yet, so I can't advise.

Feb 6, 2024 at 7:49 PM Post #5,745 of 6,196
Wow those are beautiful! Regarding cables, I would suggest burning the headphone in for about 200 hours and then see where you stand in relation to how the Atrium sounds.

You can also roll pads as well as mesh varieties to make adjustments in the sound.

That being said, I feel the 2K as well as Lektrik silver cables sound significantly better than the stock. I haven't heard the new Grand Palladium yet, so I can't advise.
Thanks for your advice! I got it used from classified so I assumed it was burn in already. I will try those upgrade cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back