ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Feb 6, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #5,746 of 6,290
Thanks for your advice! I got it used from classified so I assumed it was burn in already. I will try those upgrade cables.
Well, in that case, the 2K cable is smooth, whereas the Lektrik adds some zip/zing up top giving things a less relaxed sound.
Pick your poison.

Feb 6, 2024 at 10:00 PM Post #5,747 of 6,290
If Caldera UP was the only pad available for Atrium I'd be so satisfied with the sound. I might be in the minority when it comes to rolling pads. I just like changing up the sound, or if I'm in the mood for something different. At the end of the day it's about finding what works for you and that's why I think ZMF is so awesome for that.
It doesn’t help that I’m lazy and find changing pads on atrium cumbersome at best lol. I was a grado user for ages so I’m spoiled in that sense, haha

Feb 7, 2024 at 12:39 AM Post #5,748 of 6,290
Sorry to jump in - I also ended using Caldera UP + solid mesh - great combo.

If Caldera UP was the only pad available for Atrium I'd be so satisfied with the sound. I might be in the minority when it comes to rolling pads. I just like changing up the sound, or if I'm in the mood for something different. At the end of the day it's about finding what works for you and that's why I think ZMF is so awesome for that.
I don't know if it's just cus my
It doesn’t help that I’m lazy and find changing pads on atrium cumbersome at best lol. I was a grado user for ages so I’m spoiled in that sense, haha
imagine being a meze user trying to switch pads for the first time, lol

Feb 7, 2024 at 1:07 AM Post #5,749 of 6,290
Well, in that case, the 2K cable is smooth, whereas the Lektrik adds some zip/zing up top giving things a less relaxed sound.
Pick your poison.
I have the 2K Copper cable as well as the Meze Silver Plated PCUHD Copper cable, and, for what it's worth, I find the Meze cable smoother and more relaxed overall than the 2K Copper cable. The 2K Copper cable seems to push the mids and the lower treble more forward, which unfortunately makes the Atrium less relaxing for me.

Feb 7, 2024 at 1:56 AM Post #5,750 of 6,290
I have the 2K Copper cable as well as the Meze Silver Plated PCUHD Copper cable, and, for what it's worth, I find the Meze cable smoother and more relaxed overall than the 2K Copper cable. The 2K Copper cable seems to push the mids and the lower treble more forward, which unfortunately makes the Atrium less relaxing for me.
@AntonRisto Is the meze silver plated more relax than the stock atrium cable?

Feb 7, 2024 at 4:02 AM Post #5,751 of 6,290
@AntonRisto Is the meze silver plated more relax than the stock atrium cable?
I unfortunately have no experience with the stock Atrium cable, since I already owned both the Meze and the 2K Copper cables when I got my Atrium.

Feb 8, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #5,753 of 6,290
Had a lot of fun comparing meshes today (solid vs radial) more closely, and it's pretty interesting how much the sound can change - still very much the same headphone of course. Using only the Caldera pads. Describing sound is hard and I think it's always best to hear for yourself.

Solid mesh: Smooth, "liquid" treble, a darker and warmer sound, less apparent peaks, more polite sounding, zero fatigue
Radial mesh: Lively sound, aggressive mids, more clarity & easier to pick up details, still slightly warm but less forgiving. It makes them extremely engaging and dynamic. It moves the strengths of Atrium to another level (the texture and impact of drums in particular). Maximum fun.

I have to admit it took a while to adjust to the solid mesh again.
The stock mesh strikes a good balance between them both, and if you don't wanna mess with the sound or meshes Stock is perfection.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 12:40 AM Post #5,756 of 6,290
Feb 9, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #5,757 of 6,290
Listening to Puscifer on the Atriums, I feel like this is a good example where the sound signature of the headphones just elevates the music to a new level. It's just the right combination of warmth, airiniess and bass extension, and Keenans vocals is just *chef's kiss*.

Feb 9, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #5,758 of 6,290
Enjoying the solo project from Dan Guenther from Milwaukee who is Missing in Stars:

He is a heavy metal guitarist who wanted to produce an electronic music album without any guitar and was not planning to do vocals. He pressed ahead and glad he was able to release it.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #5,759 of 6,290
Had a chance to stop by ZMF HQ today! I had mentioned to Zach a while back that I’d be curious to check out a newer version of his OFC cable he was developing, as the current version for my length was a bit stiff and unwieldy. He sent me home today with a copper and a silver plated sample!

Plugging in the copper one first with my atrium koa (beautiful color match too) and am pretty startled how more open sounding it is than the black OFC and even my audiophile ninja - those both sound more closed in and narrow in comparison.

Build quality is excellent - nice tight braid, super flexible as it is an unshielded cable, excellent connectors with the right side marked with a red release button, and a beautiful ZMF splitter. Absolutely zero microphonics!

I told Zach that I truly don’t believe that a shield is necessary in a headphone cable, and am happy he has found a quality wire and design for what most likely will be a very reasonable price (of which he will finalize and post pretty soon I believe).

Feb 9, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #5,760 of 6,290
Had a chance to stop by ZMF HQ today! I had mentioned to Zach a while back that I’d be curious to check out a newer version of his OFC cable he was developing, as the current version for my length was a bit stiff and unwieldy. He sent me home today with a copper and a silver plated sample!

Plugging in the copper one first with my atrium koa (beautiful color match too) and am pretty startled how more open sounding it is than the black OFC and even my audiophile ninja - those both sound more closed in and narrow in comparison.

Build quality is excellent - nice tight braid, super flexible as it is an unshielded cable, excellent connectors with the right side marked with a red release button, and a beautiful ZMF splitter. Absolutely zero microphonics!

I told Zach that I truly don’t believe that a shield is necessary in a headphone cable, and am happy he has found a quality wire and design for what most likely will be a very reasonable price (of which he will finalize and post pretty soon I believe).
Nice! Hoping ZMF will bring some for sale at NYC CanJam next month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back