ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Dec 24, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #5,431 of 6,290
I really like the production on those early Slayer albums, they have that old school dynamic yet raw sound, and from what I've gathered the Atrium is perfect for reproducing that faithfully without being fatiguing. Can't wait for my pair to arrive.

Atrium delivers that dynamic and raw sound in spades. Once in a while you just get taken aback with how good it sounds. The way it handles every instrument in the mix is pretty much perfect to my ears. The magnum opus of dynamic headphones since a long time. Just my opinion!

Looks like I’m the only one who hasn’t bothered to change pads even once. Mine came with Auteur Perf as default since it is a used unit. Good Sub bass and mid bass out of both my amp.

Probably my favorite pad with the Atrium. I still love the Universe and Caldera UP pads

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #5,433 of 6,290
Great video. I'm sure all Atrium owners here will appreciate you validating our extravagant expenditures as much as I did :)

One comment though - there are in fact 4 mesh options (if you include meshless) as there are two types of vented mesh - the radial vented mesh which can be purchased from ZMF and the stock vented mesh.

If you choose to test out the radial vented mesh, please do let us know what you think in comparison to the other mesh options.

On another note, totally unrelated, yesterday I found myself really enjoying the verite pads on the atrium. I've been listening to the Thieaudio Prestige LTD a lot lately so my ears have gotten used to that sounds. The verite pads did a great job of adding intimacy to the sound. I know there are a few fans of the Vérité pads on the atriums here. I think I get it now.

I'm sure I'll go back to the Universe and Caldera Ultra Perf pads soon but yesterday's experience was a nice surprise.
So which mesh is sold with the Atrium stock now? On the ZMF website on the Atrium page there is a photo that makes it appear as though it's the radial mesh. The pair I received used appears to have the solid mesh.

Dec 24, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #5,434 of 6,290
The stock mesh on Atrium isn't sold separately on the DIY page. In terms sonic attributes you have (from darker to brighter):
Solid
Stock (not sold separately)
Radial
No mesh.

There are 3 physical meshes that work with Atrium, "4" if you count no mesh at all and if you bought a second hand Atrium with the solid mesh I'm sure ZMF could probably hook you up with some stock mesh! Just ask nicely :) (don't quote me on the stock mesh stuff..)

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #5,435 of 6,290
I've posted my review of the Atrium. I've never tried a headphone that literally made me go to church....

Oh sure, I waffle for months between getting a VO or an AO, and have been excited about my VO for just over a month and now FOMO rears its ugly head. You’re definitely on the naughty list now…

Great review. Excellent work as usual.
But I’ll be watching you.

Dec 24, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #5,436 of 6,290
Oh sure, I waffle for months between getting a VO or an AO, and have been excited about my VO for just over a month and now FOMO rears its ugly head. You’re definitely on the naughty list now…

"just get them all" - Any ZMF owner.

Dec 24, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #5,437 of 6,290
The stock mesh on Atrium isn't sold separately on the DIY page. In terms sonic attributes you have (from darker to brighter):
Solid
Stock (not sold separately)
Radial
No mesh.

There are 3 physical meshes that work with Atrium, "4" if you count no mesh at all. If you bought a second hand Atrium with the solid mesh I'm sure ZMF could probably hook you up with some stock mesh! Just ask nicely :)
Thanks. So this is what is installed on my used pair. I assumed this was solid?

Attachments

• IMG_4238.jpeg
    IMG_4238.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Dec 24, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #5,438 of 6,290
I've posted my review of the Atrium. I've never tried a headphone that literally made me go to church....

Excellent review! I loved those church shots, btw - worth the extra effort!

Also, great breakdown of the AO's characteristics, strengths and weaknesses. I'd love to watch you review the closed version someday down the road.

Dec 24, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #5,439 of 6,290
I have this one. Looks like something that is stock with Atrium ? I.e non Radial mesh
IMG_1384.jpeg

Dec 24, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #5,440 of 6,290
Thanks. So this is what is installed on my used pair. I assumed this was solid?
If you have bright chain then solid will work else it may get darker sounding.

Dec 24, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #5,441 of 6,290

they are seriously both worth having if you can get there at some point

Dec 24, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #5,442 of 6,290
they are seriously both worth having if you can get there at some point
Admittedly there was a point many months ago when the question morphed from “Which one to get?” to “Which one to get first?” This has only been slightly complicated by the success of the Caldera. I clearly just need to accelerate my income stream to exceed Zach’s creative outputs. I haven’t even started on the closed backs. A new metric with which to measure my slackerdom. Excellent.

Dec 24, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #5,443 of 6,290
Admittedly there was a point many months ago when the question morphed from “Which one to get?” to “Which one to get first?” This has only been slightly complicated by the success of the Caldera. I clearly just need to accelerate my income stream to exceed Zach’s creative outputs. I haven’t even started on the closed backs. A new metric with which to measure my slackerdom. Excellent.

You kniw what I'm going to say next.... :ksc75smile:

Dec 24, 2023 at 9:58 PM Post #5,444 of 6,290
I'm about to pull the trigger on the Atrium. But I wondered about warranty matters/customer service.

As I read the webpage, the warranty only covers the original sale/purchaser. There is a pair on sale now on HeadFi - only few weeks old. But I'm nervous about losing out on the warranty to save a few bucks.

Anyone have any problems with the equipment and any thoughts re customer service? Thanks.

Dec 24, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #5,445 of 6,290
I'm about to pull the trigger on the Atrium. But I wondered about warranty matters/customer service.

As I read the webpage, the warranty only covers the original sale/purchaser. There is a pair on sale now on HeadFi - only few weeks old. But I'm nervous about losing out on the warranty to save a few bucks.

Anyone have any problems with the equipment and any thoughts re customer service? Thanks.

product reliability is excellent - both drivers and build quality

customer service is unparalleld in this industry - you can rely on ZMF to help you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back