ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Apr 28, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #6,196 of 6,290
I can't fathom why would anyone want more bass than AO. With a good tube amp (Aegis) it has all bass I could possibly want.
In this case, for EDM, the AC delivers sub bass that very few headphones can touch. Not the Sennheiser HD250, not the pre fazor LCD 2,and not Atrium open.
I feel like the AO excels with rock and blues, traditional metal, folk, Americana, etc ...
The AC also can do these genres too, but when you feed the AC some sub bass laden music that's when the AC really gets to show off what it's capable of.

Apr 29, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #6,197 of 6,290
I can't fathom why would anyone want more bass than AO. With a good tube amp (Aegis) it has all bass I could possibly want.
You don't necessarily need aegis for good bass. Place good tubes in a well made amp and the thing can get veeery impressive.
I agree that AO can surprise many with the right amp or tubes, but also data doesn't lie, and AC has greater subbass.
I got the AO thinking uniquely in their expansive soundstage, but it is really good at more genres than I expected. I do listen a lot techno, hip hop, trip hop, and even though the caldera is faster, detailed and with cleaner bass, rolling down to the subbass.. the AO is really good too. Perhaps you don't get that extra rumble, but it still hits hard, and the way the properly mixed synths and hats provides an experience that is completely different and very very enjoyable. Not like I don't enjoy the caldera, but you can love more than 1. Poly headphones Love I think id call it now days.
For that same reason I had to order ac ltd.
Damn poly headphones Love it's more expensive than mono headphones gamy.

May 1, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #6,198 of 6,290
So for those who have heard both, it would be great to know which gap is larger: AO’s deficit in bass to AC or AC’s deficit in stage to AO, and whether EQ on AO’s bass can get it into the ballpark of AC or not. If I’m delusional in thinking that AO+EQ could approach AC’s (or even Stellia’s?) bass, and/or if there’s anything else that I should be considering as a major factor here, please feel free to educate me!
There's no real deficit on either headphones to be honest but you might enjoy the AC over the AO in terms of overall sub-bass quantity. The AO has no shortage of slam and presents some of the most natural and visceral percussion presentation I've heard on a headphone. But if you're looking for sub bass focused headphone the AC is definitely the one to go for. The extra oomph on the AC is something else and though there are others like myself who prefer the AO over most other headphones for other reasons, the sub bass is definitely a unique aspect that is hard to ignore and given your preference the AC is likely the safer blind buy.

Yes, definitely a potential concern.
Try them out with your headphones first to establish a baseline and start attending trade shows and meets to compare and hear what's what. Ultimately if it sounds good to you there should be very little reason to be concerned with your current setup unless you heard better. Never judge solely on written reviews unless you are willing to spend blindly unless you have the spare cash and definitely don't sell your current setup until you can compare side by side.

May 1, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #6,200 of 6,290
anyone else really like the auteur pads ?
Im using Auteur pads for a long time now. However I’m not much of a pad roller

May 1, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #6,205 of 6,290
I got both these pads for my AO. What'cha looking for?
it's a jpop track. The BE2 suede perf and the stock pads have strong sibilance or an airy sound that hurts me, especially in the first 15 seconds or so. I hope you can verify if the universe perf suede pads help to reduce or eliminate this issue. (I´ve already tried with the auteur perf hybrid and suede pads and none of those helped). I can't pass the flac file here but the track is on YouTube so here is the link.

It would be better if I send you the lossless file, maybe by mail or by telegram if you are okay with that.

May 1, 2024 at 10:13 PM Post #6,206 of 6,290
it's a jpop track. The BE2 suede perf and the stock pads have strong sibilance or an airy sound that hurts me, especially in the first 15 seconds or so. I hope you can verify if the universe perf suede pads help to reduce or eliminate this issue. (I´ve already tried with the auteur perf hybrid and suede pads and none of those helped). I can't pass the flac file here but the track is on YouTube so here is the link.

It would be better if I send you the lossless file, maybe by mail or by telegram if you are okay with that.

aaaaalrighty! Cool track. I'm don't usually listen to this kind of music, but it was fun (even if just the first 30 seconds on repeat haha).

I did a side-by-side on my Wa7 Fireflies (tube amp) and ifi Gryphon. Went back and forth twice with each pad.
In short, the difference was minimal. I think sibilance was not as prominent on the Suede Universe (perf). But I didn't find it an issue on the Be2s either. On the Universe the track stage opened up a little (I tend to find the Universe to have much better depth than the Be2s). While I've become a big fan of the Universe Suede Perf pads on the AOs (the lambskin perf might be my favorite though), I don't think you should buy a set to tackle this issue.

What amp are you using? Perhaps its not the headphones giving you the issue.

May 1, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #6,208 of 6,290
aaaaalrighty! Cool track. I'm don't usually listen to this kind of music, but it was fun (even if just the first 30 seconds on repeat haha).

I did a side-by-side on my Wa7 Fireflies (tube amp) and ifi Gryphon. Went back and forth twice with each pad.
In short, the difference was minimal. I think sibilance was not as prominent on the Suede Universe (perf). But I didn't find it an issue on the Be2s either. On the Universe the track stage opened up a little (I tend to find the Universe to have much better depth than the Be2s). While I've become a big fan of the Universe Suede Perf pads on the AOs (the lambskin perf might be my favorite though), I don't think you should buy a set to tackle this issue.

What amp are you using? Perhaps its not the headphones giving you the issue.
I'm using a Topping A90D and a Little Dot MK2, with a schiit Modius as the source. The LDMKII helps a little bit with the issue, but I prefer the A90D for the remote.

May 1, 2024 at 10:44 PM Post #6,209 of 6,290
You don't necessarily need aegis for good bass. Place good tubes in a well made amp and the thing can get veeery impressive.
I agree that AO can surprise many with the right amp or tubes, but also data doesn't lie, and AC has greater subbass.
I got the AO thinking uniquely in their expansive soundstage, but it is really good at more genres than I expected. I do listen a lot techno, hip hop, trip hop, and even though the caldera is faster, detailed and with cleaner bass, rolling down to the subbass.. the AO is really good too. Perhaps you don't get that extra rumble, but it still hits hard, and the way the properly mixed synths and hats provides an experience that is completely different and very very enjoyable. Not like I don't enjoy the caldera, but you can love more than 1. Poly headphones Love I think id call it now days.
For that same reason I had to order ac ltd.
Damn poly headphones Love it's more expensive than mono headphones gamy.
If I could only have one headphone it would be the AO - I love mine with both OTL tubes and SS. However, for electronic music I really do get more out of my EQ'd LCD-X - it just hits harder and goes lower. That's really the only genre I used them for these days. I have been wondering if the Caldera could be a great upgrade to the LDC-X. While I was willing to buy the AO without listening, I would need to hear a Caldera first before pulling the trigger.

May 2, 2024 at 12:17 AM Post #6,210 of 6,290
I'm using a Topping A90D and a Little Dot MK2, with a schiit Modius as the source. The LDMKII helps a little bit with the issue, but I prefer the A90D for the remote.
My roommate has a Topping A90 / D90 stack. I went and gave it a quick listen.
For me, the song was a little sharper. But with all three amps, none of the listening was unpleasant or painful. Well, except for when it reaches the 32 second mark. Gotta make sure the volume isn't too loud there haha.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Topping does tend to lean towards clean / sharp sound, so maybe your combination is just hitting it unpleasantly for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back