ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Apr 26, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #6,181 of 6,247
Hi, I also have a D8000. Could you compare / contrast how the ZMF sounds vs. the D8000? Thank you.
I have a couple hrs of listening time so this is just my quickly formed opinions. They complement each other very well, I love the OG D8k and for tracks such as Blade runner 2049, with intense bass, it envelops you and its such a visceral experience, I don't hear it as much as I feel it. It was similar to my experience with a Kef blades setup, though not as good. Now, I am a little biased but its an amazing headphone and I may just get another D8k. However, it falls on two aspects, comfort and vocals. It is not a very comfortable headphone, I can wear it for a maximum of 2-3hrs before it starts to hurt the top of my head. Vocals also seem secondary to me on the D8k, on broadway plays tracks, its the instruments that can dominate the vocals. The atriums completely reverse that, comfort is amazing, I have been wearing it for the past 3hrs and its just as comfortable as when I put it on. Vocals are also the bread and butter, its an amazing experience, female vocals have this realistic and ethereal nature to them. I highly recommend it and its a great pairing to the D8k and other planars. Now, time to spend the rest of the day with the atriums and being enveloped with sweet music.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #6,182 of 6,247
Anyone know how to increase the pressure on the bottom of the earcups? I have a large head so the headband is almost maxed out with most of the earcup pressure on the top of it, so there is almost a gap on the bottom of the earcups.

Apr 27, 2024 at 12:04 AM Post #6,183 of 6,247
Anyone know how to increase the pressure on the bottom of the earcups? I have a large head so the headband is almost maxed out with most of the earcup pressure on the top of it, so there is almost a gap on the bottom of the earcups.
Rotating the pads so the thick part is below the ear can help - and doing some gentle bending of the headband from back can help too:

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Apr 27, 2024 at 8:20 PM Post #6,184 of 6,247
Just ordered a pair of Atrium open. Huge investment, but I've heard great things about these. Bought them without hearing, based on all the feedback out there. Fingers crossed!

Leo

Apr 27, 2024 at 8:42 PM Post #6,185 of 6,247
Just ordered a pair of Atrium open. Huge investment, but I've heard great things about these. Bought them without hearing, based on all the feedback out there. Fingers crossed!

Leo
Looking at you DAC and amp, Atrium will fit just right in.

Apr 27, 2024 at 9:38 PM Post #6,186 of 6,247
Longtime lurker, first time poster!

Having read through both threads, I’m trying to decide between AO and AC for my first set of ZMFs. Currently I have Focal Stellia and am looking for a more expansive, spacious, speaker-like soundstage and more pronounced and impactful (sub-)bass. I’ve never had open headphones but do have a quiet, dedicated room for listening so it seems like all things equal, open HPs would make sense in that I don’t need the isolation from closed. However, the potential of less than fulsome bass gives me pause. Conversely, while AC should provide better bass I’m assuming I likely won’t get as much of the improvement in staging that I’m hoping for, unless soundstage on AC is substantially better than Stellia. I listen to a wide range of genres (though not classical) but find I am not appreciating electronica/EDM as much on Stellia as I would expect/like to, due to the bass not quite being substantial enough.

AO is often described as having excellent, punchy bass overall but with the sub-bass a bit rolled off. Assuming it’s the sub-bass that's the major bass differential compared to AC, can sub-bass be EQ’ed up on AO to compensate? For Stellia I generally run a +2 or 3 dB shelf at 80 Hz to give it a bit more oomph.

AC’s bass seems to be some of the best available and it's often described as having excellent soundstage for a closed-back, but it’s unclear to me how much it’s behind AO in this regard.

So for those who have heard both, it would be great to know which gap is larger: AO’s deficit in bass to AC or AC’s deficit in stage to AO, and whether EQ on AO’s bass can get it into the ballpark of AC or not. If I’m delusional in thinking that AO+EQ could approach AC’s (or even Stellia’s?) bass, and/or if there’s anything else that I should be considering as a major factor here, please feel free to educate me!

FWIW amplification is currently Focal Arche (class A, 1W into 32Ω / 215 mW into 300Ω, switchable output impedance up to 17Ω) but I’m open to upgrading this if necessary. Thanks!

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #6,187 of 6,247

Having read through both threads, I’m trying to decide between AO and AC for my first set of ZMFs. Currently I have Focal Stellia and am looking for a more expansive, spacious, speaker-like soundstage and more pronounced and impactful (sub-)bass. I’ve never had open headphones but do have a quiet, dedicated room for listening so it seems like all things equal, open HPs would make sense in that I don’t need the isolation from closed. However, the potential of less than fulsome bass gives me pause. Conversely, while AC should provide better bass I’m assuming I likely won’t get as much of the improvement in staging that I’m hoping for, unless soundstage on AC is substantially better than Stellia. I listen to a wide range of genres (though not classical) but find I am not appreciating electronica/EDM as much on Stellia as I would expect/like to, due to the bass not quite being substantial enough.

AO is often described as having excellent, punchy bass overall but with the sub-bass a bit rolled off. Assuming it’s the sub-bass that's the major bass differential compared to AC, can sub-bass be EQ’ed up on AO to compensate? For Stellia I generally run a +2 or 3 dB shelf at 80 Hz to give it a bit more oomph.

AC’s bass seems to be some of the best available and it's often described as having excellent soundstage for a closed-back, but it’s unclear to me how much it’s behind AO in this regard.

So for those who have heard both, it would be great to know which gap is larger: AO’s deficit in bass to AC or AC’s deficit in stage to AO, and whether EQ on AO’s bass can get it into the ballpark of AC or not. If I’m delusional in thinking that AO+EQ could approach AC’s (or even Stellia’s?) bass, and/or if there’s anything else that I should be considering as a major factor here, please feel free to educate me!

FWIW amplification is currently Focal Arche (class A, 1W into 32Ω / 215 mW into 300Ω, switchable output impedance up to 17Ω) but I’m open to upgrading this if necessary. Thanks!

If sub-bass is a key factor for you (as it seems) then I recommend you get the AC. I recommend the Caldera Suede pads with them for a more open soundstage.

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #6,188 of 6,247

Leo
Hopefully you'll love them from the get go as I did, but please keep in mind this driver needs more burn in than most headphones. Having recently burned in my 2nd Atrium Closed on top of 2 Opens I've had, most of the changes will happen in the first 100 hours. They're quite expansive but may seem much less so initially. Also keep in mind there are different mesh and pad options so if stock isn't ideal for you, don't give up on them (or any ZMF really) until you've asked here and/or ZMF support to get the sound you're wanting.

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:45 PM Post #6,189 of 6,247

FWIW amplification is currently Focal Arche (class A, 1W into 32Ω / 215 mW into 300Ω, switchable output impedance up to 17Ω) but I’m open to upgrading this if necessary. Thanks
I'd also recommend the AC. The bass is just too good, and that seems to be the element you're missing most out of your current gear.
The stage of the AC is quite good, and while I have not compared the AC to the Stellia, I have compared the VC to the Stellia. The VC out staged the Stellia, and the AC out stages the VC. That being said the differences between the three in staging was not dramatic.

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:57 PM Post #6,190 of 6,247

Can’t comment on the AC, but I fear your amp may not be a great match with ZMF dynamic drivers

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:35 AM Post #6,191 of 6,247

Leo

I was in the same boat. Huge investment and never hearing a ZMF before it was a big risk. But I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I've had the most fun in this hobby since getting them and they still to this day can surprise you with how could they can sound. Lots of fun to be had with different tunings of meshes and pads too.

AO will give you the biggest stage out of the two with a punchy mid-bass. Especially out of an OTL with the right tubes they can get pretty bass heavy. AC will give you more sub bass rumble. Speaking of EQ yes you can use it to compensate to get to AC's levels but I rarely do as I find no need to. A 4-5 dB bass shelf at 75Hz on the AO can be pretty fun. Adding EQ will introduce more distortion too (not that I could notice any). For EDM I enjoyed the AC the most of the two and so for that genre I highly recommend it over the AO.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 7:16 AM Post #6,192 of 6,247
Hopefully you'll love them from the get go as I did, but please keep in mind this driver needs more burn in than most headphones. Having recently burned in my 2nd Atrium Closed on top of 2 Opens I've had, most of the changes will happen in the first 100 hours. They're quite expansive but may seem much less so initially. Also keep in mind there are different mesh and pad options so if stock isn't ideal for you, don't give up on them (or any ZMF really) until you've asked here and/or ZMF support to get the sound you're wanting.
This is really important info and so very true.

Apr 28, 2024 at 7:33 AM Post #6,193 of 6,247
If sub-bass is a key factor for you (as it seems) then I recommend you get the AC. I recommend the Caldera Suede pads with them for a more open soundstage.

I'd also recommend the AC. The bass is just too good, and that seems to be the element you're missing most out of your current gear.
The stage of the AC is quite good, and while I have not compared the AC to the Stellia, I have compared the VC to the Stellia. The VC out staged the Stellia, and the AC out stages the VC. That being said the differences between the three in staging was not dramatic.

Thanks both, yes I am leaning towards AC on the basis that I will be more aware of any relative bass deficiency than I will be for stage, especially since I won't really know what I'm missing from AO's open-back staging as I'm coming from Stellia closed backs. And, in theory at least, I could always get an AO or Caldera in the future to complement the AC... Great to know that AC > VC > Stellia in terms of staging, thanks @Monsterzero. Caldera Suede pads are also what I had in mind with AC for this reason, thanks @goldwerger.

Can’t comment on the AC, but I fear your amp may not be a great match with ZMF dynamic drivers

Yes, definitely a potential concern. I'm open to getting a new amp if required and especially if AC/AO are as compelling as they appear based on the threads here. I did see this post suggesting that Zach stated 100 mW is the minimum for the 300Ω drivers so hopefully the Arche at ~2x this will be OK to start out with, but I'll likely look to sell it along with the Stellias if all goes to plan.

AO will give you the biggest stage out of the two with a punchy mid-bass. Especially out of an OTL with the right tubes they can get pretty bass heavy. AC will give you more sub bass rumble. Speaking of EQ yes you can use it to compensate to get to AC's levels but I rarely do as I find no need to. A 4-5 dB bass shelf at 75Hz on the AO can be pretty fun. Adding EQ will introduce more distortion too (not that I could notice any). For EDM I enjoyed the AC the most of the two and so for that genre I highly recommend it over the AO.
Thanks, good to know that AO can take some EQ in the bass. If I was able to demo them both here in NZ it would be a lot more straightforward to decide but unfortunately that doesn't appear to be possible. While I'm by no means focused solely on EDM/electronica, I would definitely be disappointed if AO (with or without EQ) underperformed Stellia for this genre. With AC I can be sure that it's a step up here and hopefully it will also outperform Stellia more generally for less bass-heavy genres like jazz and pop.

Apr 28, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #6,194 of 6,247
For anyone that finds the treble too sharp definitely give the solid mesh a shot if a pad swap doesn't work. For me it's perfect in combination with an OTL amp. It smooths out the highs just enough to not make it too dull. Hybrid pads will smooth it out further. I'm currently using the BE2 suede and although it's a brighter pad it makes the highs very smooth with crystal clear vocals, one of my favorite combos on Atrium. I've had good experience with the Eikon suede perforated too.
Thanks. Settled on the BE2 perf suede pads after trying a few other pads, not only the most comfortable but best sounding to my ears and within my audio chain. Curiously, I do not find the BE2 particularly bright but simply more focused in the treble and taming a lot of that treble energy with great vocals. Found the solid mesh dulled the sound too much. The stock balanced cable had really bothersome and obvious treble peaks as far as I could hear so found a Cardas replacement from FogCity. Still wondering how the stock cable may be impacting other users who may not realize it as an issue unless I’m just wrong or it was a one off which is possible.

Curious about the Caldera suede ultra Perf due to how the BE2 perf suede sounds. Surprised not to see more perf suede pad fans in the comments. I agree with DMS on his Atrium review and BE2 perf suede recommendation but also see other prominent reviewers differ on pads. Ultimately, I think all pads have trade offs. I imagine ZMF is making a fortune selling ear pads, aside from everything else.

Focused on dialing in the sound to listen with my Ares II (updated firmware) and Burson Soloist 3X Performance (updated V7 op amps). Plan to listen with Monolith LP and WA6 too.

Overall, I’m a happy first time ZMF owner. Would like to have purchased sooner on my headphone journey if it would have been available. Perhaps a Bokeh is in my future. I would recommend to those who have a keen sense of what they’re looking for as substantial diminishing returns are at play for example in my opinion. If expense may be an issue, or you think a perfect headphone exists, I would not recommend a blind purchase with so many compelling and inexpensive options available otherwise these days.

To my ears the Atrium is a solid all around performer with that pleasant and inviting organic timbre that’s especially important to me. I still love my other headphones for different reasons, but the Atrium sounds the most refined and it’s the most I foresee spending on a pair.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #6,195 of 6,247
AO is often described as having excellent, punchy bass overall but with the sub-bass a bit rolled off.

I can't fathom why would anyone want more bass than AO. With a good tube amp (Aegis) it has all bass I could possibly want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back