ZMF Atrium Closed
May 8, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #901 of 3,270
The 34g more or less makes no difference on the neck.
I agree completely. The 34g is less than 10% of the total weight, and that kind of change won't make any real difference, though might matter psychologically. Other things matter far more. I recently realized my head has somewhat of a ridge at top, which makes hotspots so bad that I can only wear headphones that distribute most of their weight in the clamp force. Even light headphones are intolerable if they aren't putting their weight in the clamp force. I find Focals unusable for this reason. Headphones like Anandas that put the weight in a suspension strap quickly make me nauseous for this reason. One of the reasons I am so drawn to ZMF is because I can easily bend the headband to put the weight mostly in the clamp force.

Last edited:
May 8, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #902 of 3,270
Someone asked for pics of natural cherry? :wink: These just arrived today so I won't comment on sound impressions just yet. What I noticed immediately upon picking them up is how light they feel (I went for magnesium chassis)--they feel lighter than the scale suggests. Fit and finish is beautiful, as one expects from ZMF. I'm ruined now for how I want/expect a headphone to fit on my head.

Noise isolation with the installed Caldera lambskin Thin is ok. I can definitely hear the air vent above my desk but it easily fades to background noise when music is playing. But Mr. Jaebug is working from home today and his conference call isn't blocked much at all. My VC with the Auteur lambies is still best at that.

AC1 - Copy.jpgAC2 - Copy (2).jpg
AC3 - Copy.jpgZMF Trio1 - Copy.jpg
Closed-back example of three finishes: At. Closed is hand-wiped wax oil (satin-like finish), VC is Tru Oil varnish (glossy), and the Eikon is sprayed lacquer (glossy).
I can really appreciate the workmanship and finish on these wow.

May 8, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #903 of 3,270
I agree completely. The 34g is less than 10% of the total weight, and that kind of change won't make any real difference, though might matter psychologically. Other things matter far more. I recently realized my head has somewhat of a ridge at top, which makes hotspots so bad that I can only wear headphones that distribute most of their weight in the clamp force. Even light headphones are intolerable if they aren't putting their weight in the clamp force. I find Focals unusable for this reason. Headphones like Anandas that put the weight in a suspension strap quickly make me nauseous for this reason. One of the reasons I am so drawn to ZMF is because I can easily bend the headband to put the weight mostly in the clamp force.
For me that 34g makes a very noticeable difference. That may just be from neck disc issues but having changed out the chassis on a few of them, I always appreciate the lighter weight. When I got my Stabilized Auteur 6 months ago, it had aluminum and I was finding it much less comfortable than the lighter Aeolus with magnesium I bought at the same time. I just wasn't finding myself reaching for them much until I swapped out the Chassis from my OG (which I now use less) and it made quite a difference.

Also as others have said even over 600g like my blackwood VO, it can be comfortable, while my LCD-3 with the same weight and newer carbon chassis is just plain uncomfortable, though using the bottom part of the co-pilot pad helped them a lot. Sometimes it's also just how much I've shaped the headband into my ideal, which I hadn't done on the Auteur but have on the heavier VO.

May 8, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #904 of 3,270
Here is something I did not expect. I am finding the LTD AC way more comfortable with the standard leather strap than the BBB strap. It lightens the headphone up slightly, but more importantly allows you to keep the strap from touching your head (at least in a way that applies any pressure) since it is thinner and more flexible. The headphone feels noticeably lighter when you aren't sensing all that leather at the top of your head, for me anyway. May be better for people (for all ZMFs) who want the weight focused on the clamp force instead of the top of the head.

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #906 of 3,270
One of the best natural Natural Cherry AC's I've seen so far! Legit figuring that gives it a killer vibe. Also, fantastic pics! :wink: As a fellow VC owner, excited to hear your impressions once you have enough time with it
I'm so happy with how they turned out. I thought about leaving a note asking for a certain look, but ultimately didn't and figured whatever comes is it. Can't imagine anyone being disappointed with this as the stock wood and finish. It's easy to get caught up in the LE woods (I'm guilty of this :laughing:), but I do have a soft spot for cherry. It's just so lovely.
Great photos, thank you!

It sounds like the natural Cherry Atrium Closed weight with the Mag chassis is similar to a stabilized Maple pair of VCs (also Mag chassis) that I owned before trading for my African Blackwood VCs.

I never weighed the stabilized pair, but every time I picked them up to use them I continued to be surprised by how light they were.
Thanks! That's interesting, because doesn't the stabilizing process make the wood heavier? Regular maple must be like feathers.
Agree with the others I like the middle one the best of the 3 you have with the nice clear finish it really shows it off.

I can already see what's in store for this year's Hot Summer Cups.
There will probably be some great designs to fight over.

I haven't seen anyone yet who presents the wood as beautifully as Zmf.
Not even normal carpenters can do it like that, and if they do, it's a good one.

I live in the Black Forest and have seen a lot of wood.
Especially cuckoo clocks and other things, but what Zmf sometimes achieves makes every cuckoo clock look old. :gs1000smile: :hugging::gs1000smile::hugging:
Oh, for sure, the Verite Closed is imo the perfect wooden earcup. I was waffling a bit on getting the At. Closed because the flatter profile didn't appeal as much.

I don't think I've seen a dud from ZMF, ever. Not all woods are to my taste, but the craftsmanship is top notch.

May 9, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #907 of 3,270
I recently received the Atrium Bocote with the BBB leather strap and it is not only a feast for the eyes.
It is also much more comfortable to wear.
My auteur doesn't have it and instead has what became standard last year.
It is also very comfortable to wear.
So I am very happy with both.

What I noticed about the AO when it arrived last Friday was that it had a bit too much clamping force for my head over the whole weekend.
Apart from the fact that I had only adjusted it on the rods, I didn't notice anything after a few days.
It also seems that the whole thing adjusts over time or you get used to it.

It seems to be a bit like that the less you do on it the better it gets, unless the clamping force takes over.
But I think everyone has to decide for themselves how much it bothers them or tends to be too much.

You can always bend it a bit and take out the clamping force if it doesn't get better after a few days.

I also agree that comfort is an issue with most headphones.
I had the Focal on a few weeks ago and it was incredibly uncomfortable and oppressive.
The Meze Empyrean was better but still a far cry from what Zmf offers.

May 9, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #908 of 3,270
Someone asked for pics of natural cherry? :wink: These just arrived today so I won't comment on sound impressions just yet. What I noticed immediately upon picking them up is how light they feel (I went for magnesium chassis)--they feel lighter than the scale suggests. Fit and finish is beautiful, as one expects from ZMF. I'm ruined now for how I want/expect a headphone to fit on my head.

Noise isolation with the installed Caldera lambskin Thin is ok. I can definitely hear the air vent above my desk but it easily fades to background noise when music is playing. But Mr. Jaebug is working from home today and his conference call isn't blocked much at all. My VC with the Auteur lambies is still best at that.

AC1 - Copy.jpgAC2 - Copy (2).jpg
AC3 - Copy.jpgZMF Trio1 - Copy.jpg
Closed-back example of three finishes: At. Closed is hand-wiped wax oil (satin-like finish), VC is Tru Oil varnish (glossy), and the Eikon is sprayed lacquer (glossy).
What a nice trio! I hope you will give some impressions on the AC + v222 pairing. It's an amp that I'am considering acquiring in the future.

May 9, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #910 of 3,270
What I noticed about the AO when it arrived last Friday was that it had a bit too much clamping force for my head over the whole weekend.
Apart from the fact that I had only adjusted it on the rods, I didn't notice anything after a few days.
It also seems that the whole thing adjusts over time or you get used to it.

I found the clamping force to be a little bit much the first time, but now after 2 months everything is spot on. I haven't bent the headband or anything, other than adjusting the rods (2 steps up from the smallest). The BBB strap is very comfortable, it kind of just floats with no hot spots.

As far as weight goes 10% reduction doesn't sound like much, but depending on how sensitive your neck is and how long your sessions are it can be significant. But I agree that the distribution of the weight is more important. I personally don't have a problem with heavy headphones.

May 9, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #911 of 3,270
ANy comparison of AC to TH900? Both Biocellulose. Both Closed. Both V-shaped.

TH900 has various types now (different wood colour means different tuning). The Red one is the most V-Shape sounding (biggest bass with brightest treble).

Atrium Closed in direct comparison is much more balance sounding headphone. Vocal is also more organic, smoother, more forward and fuller with AC. Bass is bigger and deliver harder punch on Red Fostex, but AC is still categorise as full body sound (far from being thin). Treble is smoother with AC.

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #912 of 3,270
I am now one of the people who prefers mag chassis. On paper the difference is almost negligible and I don’t really feel much difference when wearing it, but I find the mag chassis changes how the headphone feels when you handle it. I usually grab it by both cups, and I notice the lighter weight chassis makes the band feel lighter when you bring the headphone down. The cups have less tendency to swivel in my hands and it feels more balanced with the headband not pulling the headphone down. If that makes any sense… I also feel my 2 sets with mag chassis are a bit more stable on my head (I have a big head) when I turn or look down. I think it’s better having the weight concentrated on the cups.

Anyways, obligatory new ltd owner photo 😁 my AC isn’t quite as symmetrical as some I have seen but it gives it some personality 😂 I love the straight lines and I love the sound so I’m happy with it!

IMG_3860.jpeg

May 9, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #913 of 3,270
I am now one of the people who prefers mag chassis. On paper the difference is almost negligible and I don’t really feel much difference when wearing it, but I find the mag chassis changes how the headphone feels when you handle it. I usually grab it by both cups, and I notice the lighter weight chassis makes the band feel lighter when you bring the headphone down. The cups have less tendency to swivel in my hands and it feels more balanced with the headband not pulling the headphone down. If that makes any sense… I also feel my 2 sets with mag chassis are a bit more stable on my head (I have a big head) when I turn or look down. I think it’s better having the weight concentrated on the cups.

Anyways, obligatory new ltd owner photo 😁 my AC isn’t quite as symmetrical as some I have seen but it gives it some personality 😂 I love the straight lines and I love the sound so I’m happy with it!

IMG_3860.jpeg
Stunning set!! Congrats!

May 9, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #914 of 3,270

IMG_3860.jpeg
Gorgeous grains there!

May 9, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #915 of 3,270

IMG_3860.jpeg
Those look gorgeous! Can't wait for mine to ship! Hopefully there's still some with stunning grain left!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back