ZMF Atrium Closed - the latest closed back headphone from ZMF
May 11, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #961 of 3,119
We have a large batch of olive being worked on right now, much of the cherry stuff will be shipped very shortly. Olive will start to ship soon and we do expect to be well within or faster than any stated time lines at checkout.
How likely is it that you'll bring Olive units (of any variant) for the Chicago CanJam? I'm hoping to demo the Atrium/Atrium Closed in person, and hopefully pick one up there as well. These headphones just look so amazing in Olive!

May 11, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #962 of 3,119
We have a large batch of olive being worked on right now, much of the cherry stuff will be shipped very shortly. Olive will start to ship soon and we do expect to be well within or faster than any stated time lines at checkout.

Perfection cannot be rushed!

May 11, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #963 of 3,119
Perfection cannot be rushed!
1000% agreed. Id wait 3 months for my perfect set vs 2 weeks for a set I’m not completely happy with

May 11, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #964 of 3,119
Appreciation post for Zach and the ZMF team:

Perhaps I’m missing parallel experiences from my vantage point, but ZMF is a rare example where a company:
1) is active in a constructive, helpful (and fairly consistent!) way in an enthusiast forum like this,
2) has this level of customer service and communication, and
3) produces product at this high of a quality level while maintaining modular, customer-tunable designs that also can be repaired and replaced at a relatively low and very fair cost.

Zach’s post here is a great example of number 1. BRAVO.
🙌 :beerchug::L3000:

May 11, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #965 of 3,119
Appreciation post for Zach and the ZMF team:

Perhaps I’m missing parallel experiences from my vantage point, but ZMF is a rare example where a company:
1) is active in a constructive, helpful (and fairly consistent!) way in an enthusiast forum like this,
2) has this level of customer service and communication, and
3) produces product at this high of a quality level while maintaining modular, customer-tunable designs that also can be repaired and replaced at a relatively low and very fair cost.

Zach’s post here is a great example of number 1. BRAVO.
🙌 :beerchug::L3000:
:L3000:

As an aside to provide even more insight - I bought the two awesome gnarly large slabs for the original run, but we ended up making so many of them for Canjams and reviewers because I wanted people to hear the hard/soft wood difference etc that we ended burning through the Olive wood faster than I thought. We made many of those sets beforehand and they got sent out quickly.

My Olive dealer got me two more amazing slabs before release, but unfortunately we got a really sweet new Felder saw that had to be hooked up (you know the kind that won't even cut a hot dog if you put it in front of the blade). We got the saw because the more awesome gnarly stuff I buy, the more chance an accident will happen etc and I want to make sure our staff is safe and all that - so we got the saw hooked up last week and have the wood cut and are back machining and full bore ahead.

Anyways - just wanted to provide some insight. TLDR; to cut awesome TOTL wood in TOTL headphones you need a TOTL table saw to make sure it's the perfect size for your CNC and we just hooked it up!

As another minor note, I am basically hearing it 60/40 from owners, hard vs soft wood, some people do love the Cherry more for the sweet more sultry sound even though the speed is a little less than the Olive. They are just less fatiguing and a little "easier." But because of the innate sound difference for hard VS soft woods I will plan on trying to have a hard and soft at all times for AC. I'll make an announcement late this month when I figure out the next AC LTD.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 11, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #966 of 3,119
As another minor note, I am basically hearing it 60/40 from owners, hard vs soft wood, some people do love the Cherry more for the sweet more sultry sound even though the speed is a little less than the Olive. They are just less fatiguing and a little "easier." But because of the innate sound difference for hard VS soft woods I will plan on trying to have a hard and soft at all times for AC. I'll make an announcement late this month when I figure out the next AC LTD.
I have never had a fatiguing ZMF, so I am not sure what that would sound like, but my AC LTD is definately not fatiguing. I do find it more comfortable with a standard leather strap than the BBB strap though, which I did not expect. Maybe just fork the AC into two permanent non-LTD AC's: hardwood and softwood. Actually no don't do that, as it might tempt me to buy the softwood version lol.

May 11, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #967 of 3,119
I have never had a fatiguing ZMF, so I am not sure what that would sound like, but my AC LTD is definately not fatiguing. I do find it more comfortable with a standard leather strap than the BBB strap though, which I did not expect. Maybe just fork the AC into two permanent non-LTD AC's: hardwood and softwood. Actually no don't do that, as it might tempt me to buy the softwood version lol.
Yeah that may have been the wrong adjective - as I think "easier" or more "fluid" and with more of that romantic decay vs exact and fast might be the better way to describe it!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 11, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #968 of 3,119

As an aside to provide even more insight - I bought the two awesome gnarly large slabs for the original run, but we ended up making so many of them for Canjams and reviewers because I wanted people to hear the hard/soft wood difference etc that we ended burning through the Olive wood faster than I thought. We made many of those sets beforehand and they got sent out quickly.

My Olive dealer got me two more amazing slabs before release, but unfortunately we got a really sweet new Felder saw that had to be hooked up (you know the kind that won't even cut a hot dog if you put it in front of the blade). We got the saw because the more awesome gnarly stuff I buy, the more chance an accident will happen etc and I want to make sure our staff is safe and all that - so we got the saw hooked up last week and have the wood cut and are back machining and full bore ahead.

Anyways - just wanted to provide some insight. TLDR; to cut awesome TOTL wood in TOTL headphones you need a TOTL table saw to make sure it's the perfect size for your CNC and we just hooked it up!

Now the next question: can you tell the sound difference between old felder saw vs new felder saw cut woods? :thinking: /s (never heard of a felder saw in my life prior to this post😂)

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #969 of 3,119

You're an outstanding boss Zach taking care of your staff with safety in mind and good equipment. I'd work for you if I lived near the area.
aBY5ApD_460s.jpg

May 11, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #970 of 3,119
Now the next question: can you tell the sound difference between old felder saw vs new felder saw cut woods? :thinking: /s (never heard of a felder saw in my life prior to this post😂)
It’s like “steel-cut oatmeal”, which has a better mouthfeel. 😁

May 12, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #972 of 3,119
OK. Only on day 2 here, but this is everything I hoped it would be and then some (coming from a cherry Atticus owner). Monstrous bass. Interesting soundstage. Shockingly much lighter than the Atticus? Like, noticeably so?

To those still waiting - it will be worth it!

PXL_20230512_211612299.PORTRAIT.jpg

May 12, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #973 of 3,119
OK. Only on day 2 here, but this is everything I hoped it would be and then some (coming from a cherry Atticus owner). Monstrous bass. Interesting soundstage. Shockingly much lighter than the Atticus? Like, noticeably so?

To those still waiting - it will be worth it!

PXL_20230512_211612299.PORTRAIT.jpg
Like many, I hesitated for a long time between the LTD and aged cherry and went for the LTD because I feared the aged cherry would be too dark. This looks lighter than on ZMF website. They're gorgeous!

May 13, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #974 of 3,119
It happened again. I woke up early this morning and wanted to go back to sleep. I thought.. ah I’ll just listen to some Orville Peck real fast on the AC and go back to bed.

…two hours later here I am still listening to Orville Peck.

I’m not a country music fan but I LOOOOVE Orville Peck. If you got time to kill check out the songs Bronco, Summertime, and Turn To Hate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back