ZMF Atrium Closed
May 10, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #946 of 3,180
My collection of ZMFs. I probably should stop getting any more.

The olive is beautiful and really does stand out because of the color. I bet light color stands like the white oak salire would look great with this!

IMG_3862.jpeg

That's a freaking dream ZMF collection if I ever saw one.

May 10, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #947 of 3,180
I think it would come down to whether and to what extent your preferences lean planar vs dynamic.
I agree, and would add “and what type of amplification you have available”.

For example, if you are limited to amplification that cannot drive planar headphones well, the Caldera might cause you to feel the need to spend more on an amp to match the performance of your ZMF dynamic headphones. 😁

May 10, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #948 of 3,180
Thinking about pulling the trigger on Atrium Closed. Was really looking forward the next ZMF closed release. Just wondering how well it performs alongside with Caldera and which gernes you think Atrium works best compared to Caldera, what would be the benefits? Since Caldera is so strong is bass department already, got good stage and will certainly be better in detail retrieval.
Honestly you’re the perfect candidate for a dynamic closed back. Having a planar and a dynamic in your setup is a great combo. I see you already have the VO + Caldera to satisfy this, but if you’re also needing a closed back then I’m sure the pairing would go phenomenally together. My Susvara and VC give me the best of both worlds currently and are a great pairing but I did prefer the AO to my VC so I went ahead with an AC purchase to compare and see which is my preference to keep alongside the Susvara.

May 10, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #949 of 3,180
Since Caldera is so strong is bass department already,
I've given my thoughts on this before, but to my ears the Caldera and Atrium closed are the two most complimentary headphones while staying within the ZMF brand.
One is open, the other closed
One is planar, the other is dynamic
One is quick, tight and is a detail retrieval master, while the other is just so damn fun to listen to with seismic level sub bass.

If you think the bass on the Caldera is strong, wait until you hear the bass on the AC!

giphy231.gif

May 10, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #950 of 3,180
Why you don't like the pairing of RS8 and Meze Elite?

When I tried AC with RS8 in canjam, it sounds ok actually. However, that's based on my preference (which I also think Elite and RS8 are quite ok too).
Thank you for responding to my question. Purely from the graphics and technical characteristics of the Denon 9200 are similar, but I think AC may be a slightly better combination. The Denon sound itself is organic, natural, balanced, the presentation is cheerful with a large extension of high frequencies. Hiby added sound density, expanded the bass part (its control, quantity, dynamics were a plus for dry bass, the sub-bass also became authoritative, the attack became more alive), and also tamed the high frequencies, leaving a spark, which also improved the dynamics of the delivery. Especially, the middle frequencies became less drowned, plus the Hiby sound itself (organic, authoritative with a significant palette of colors in the middle), began to give the opportunity for vocals and instruments to have a more pronounced attack. The scene is certainly fully revealed in these headphones (the depth of the Hiby made it possible to make it a sphere, without vertical dominance). I didn't appreciate these headphones before this. But I also add that I use a non-native cable (gold, silver, palladium, and the rhodium-plated plug) and the zmf ori pads are also leather.
And what is wrong with the Elite for me, everything is clear at once, when, in addition to thinking, look at the features complained about by people who did not like these devices. Elite has a bit of a veil in the lower mids, but some will say that it does not have this, because its sound source will extinguish this part of the sound, or will bring out other frequencies, which will also quantitatively prevail in the direction of clarity. The Hiby feed is organic with a bit of fat, and so is the Elite, and overall it puts more emphasis on it. Elite does not put details on display, but they are drawn and woven into the main sound (just behind the main sound, or organically remained together with all the instruments that gave birth to them), and Hiby also has such a philosophy in relation to details. All in all, this weaves even more detail into the base, somewhat fat sound. Plus, so that the veil does not spoil the experience, we will switch the player to the maximum power mode, and it will get a fat sound as from stationary amplifiers. I see that the sound has gained extra weight, the details become large (somewhat unnatural for a live sound, but like at a concert), but it is not so natural to place them on the stage, there is not enough space for the feeling of the so-called air. When we turn on additional reds on the Hiby (Nos, harmony controller, etc.), then we oversaturate the scene. We still lose the reality of the space, because Hiby, like a spotlight, chooses something most expressive and dynamic, and brings it to the place of the main actor. And now in sum, we will get not the best option for both devices. Meze Elite has synergies with Cayin n8ii, and Hiby - changes the dry thin sound of headphones, gives them energy, expressiveness, mitigating hot points of tuning. It is the fault of the most musical player with the most musical headphones that they have given a slight overkill.

May 10, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #951 of 3,180
I've given my thoughts on this before, but to my ears the Caldera and Atrium closed are the two most complimentary headphones while staying within the ZMF brand.
One is open, the other closed
One is planar, the other is dynamic
One is quick, tight and is a detail retrieval master, while the other is just so damn fun to listen to with seismic level sub bass.

If you think the bass on the Caldera is strong, wait until you hear the bass on the AC!

giphy231.gif
Hoping that I can be happy with just the AC. Trying my best to avoid having to save up for a Caldera 😅

May 10, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #952 of 3,180
May 11, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #953 of 3,180
They have about 40-50 hours now. They sound a little more tighter, both in the lower and upper regions, resulting in a more coherent overall presentation. It was already very coherent out of the box, but the difference is noticeable. I have to say this is a little bit destabilizing (in a very good way!) because I didn't expect such changes. It seems I'm experiencing the famous ZMF burn in everyone talks about.
P1020214.jpg

May 11, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #955 of 3,180
How's the AC's tuning for movies/games
I'd have to imagine it's like your own mini home theater lol.
Anyone owners happen to keep their pair on for this duties as well?
I can give you some feedback on gaming after this weekend. Plan to use them for Diablo 4 and the new Zelda this weekend

May 11, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #956 of 3,180
Every day that goes by without a shipping notification makes me feel more and more like a fiend. :sweat_smile:

May 11, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #957 of 3,180
They have about 40-50 hours now. They sound a little more tighter, both in the lower and upper regions, resulting in a more coherent overall presentation. It was already very coherent out of the box, but the difference is noticeable. I have to say this is a little bit destabilizing (in a very good way!) because I didn't expect such changes. It seems I'm experiencing the famous ZMF burn in everyone talks about.
P1020214.jpg
So gorgeous, your set has lovely wood figuring! And I experienced the same burn-in with the Verité Closeds- it is very real, indeed.

May 11, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #958 of 3,180
Every day that goes by without a shipping notification makes me feel more and more like a fiend. :sweat_smile:
We have a large batch of olive being worked on right now, much of the cherry stuff will be shipped very shortly. Olive will start to ship soon and we do expect to be well within or faster than any stated time lines at checkout.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 11, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #959 of 3,180
We have a large batch of olive being worked on right now, much of the cherry stuff will be shipped very shortly. Olive will start to ship soon and we do expect to be well within or faster than any stated time lines at checkout.
I had to fly to LA for some family related stuff so I was hoping to high heavens it actually wasn’t shipped this week. 😂 Great to hear more olives shipping soon!

May 11, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #960 of 3,180
Thats awesome to hear! Was mentally getting ready to hunker down for the 5-10 weeks haul. Seems like I'll be getting mine just in time for my birthday. Great timing for a birthday present to myself! Fingers crossed for an awesome figured olive wood

Users who are viewing this thread

Back