ZMF Atrium Closed - the latest closed back headphone from ZMF
May 2, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #796 of 3,122
I’m letting my new pair burn-in for at least 100 hours before I dive into any impressions. Saw a few early comments saying burn-in makes a difference with the AC, so want to make sure that’s all done before spending too much time listening and comparing!
Looking forward 😊

May 2, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #797 of 3,122
I’m letting my new pair burn-in for at least 100 hours before I dive into any impressions. Saw a few early comments saying burn-in makes a difference with the AC, so want to make sure that’s all done before spending too much time listening and comparing!
Smart to do. The Atrium sure took awhile to burn in and first impressions with no burn in aren't very accurate.

May 2, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #798 of 3,122
I really wasn't really looking to buy a ~$2000ish headphone (really), but that aged cherry AC was already S-tier in the industrial design department. And now the reviews kinda make it sound exactly like what I want out of a ZMF. That said, there are so many great headphones coming out, it's tough to make a choice! For sure, need to check the AC out at the next local meetup.

Last edited:
May 2, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #799 of 3,122
I really wasn't really looking to buy a ~$2000ish headphone, but that aged cherry AC was already S-tier in the industrial design department. And now the reviews kinda make it sound exactly like what I want out of ZMF. That said, there are so many great headphones coming out, it's tough to make a choice! For sure, need to check the AC out at the next local meetup.
Lock in that discount while you can! Worst case you’ll probably break even-ish if you end up selling but I can say from experience that I will never be without a ZMF in my line up and, if I sell one, it’s only cuz another ZMF is replacing it :)

May 2, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #800 of 3,122
I really wasn't really looking to buy a ~$2000ish headphone, but that aged cherry AC was already S-tier in the industrial design department. And now the reviews kinda make it sound exactly like what I want out of ZMF. That said, there are so many great headphones coming out, it's tough to make a choice! For sure, need to check the AC out at the next local meetup.

Can’t recommend it enough, I keep grabbing it

May 2, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #801 of 3,122
Do you have any suggestions for a tube amp $2500 and under to pair with my VC and AC?
One thought:
Under-spend on the amp (for example, the Woo Audio WA2 OTL amp for $1200-1500) and over-spend on NOS tubes for it- (excellent input tubes can run about $400-500/pair; power tubes at least $400/pair or so; $150-200/pair for rectifiers).

Then you would have an amazing, semi-future-proof tube amp that sounds incredible with ZMF dynamic headphones.

Benefits: Less future expenses for tubes; knowing you are getting maximum quality out of your amp.

After all, the tubes are the equivalent to the innards of a solid-state amp. If you were spending $2,500 on a SS amp, would you spend all the money on half the amp and leave the various components inside at a lower quality?

May 2, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #803 of 3,122
It looks few folks have already received their AC but not seeing any initial impressions yet! Strange… any initial impression? I have mine in order but also have VC and really questioning my decision and so looking forward to some impressions please!
Check out the review page. A few of us wrote some comparisons between AC and VC.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/zmfheadphones-atrium-closed.26353/reviews#review-30630

The AC is great and a totally different sound than the VC. VC is still wonderful.

May 3, 2023 at 1:34 AM Post #804 of 3,122
May 3, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #805 of 3,122
Welcome to all new/upcoming AC owners. You are in for a treat (and, PSA, remember to let your headphones burn).

I'maving some real fun this evening with these tracks on the AC, thought I'd share :L3000:

Love the live conert feel of this recording, like being at the venue:

1683093643218.png

Awesome mid bass and plain head-bobbing fun:

1683093386635.png

Sub-bass, dished with nostalgia..

1683093757679.png

Blissful air and sparkle, served with a heaped spoonful of lushness:

1683093939611.png

May 3, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #807 of 3,122
Mine just shipped! Order #13386

I thought I would be waiting longer considering I missed the Friday/Monday batch!

Nice! What exactly did you order?

May 4, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #808 of 3,122
This hype over the AC makes me crazy. I really don't need another ZMF headphone!
My collection is getting ridiculous... :)

Last edited:
May 4, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #809 of 3,122
This hype over the AC makes me crazy. I really don't need another ZMF headphone!
It's getting ridiculous... :)
I feel you brother, but the bottom line is; Zach builds art that sounds as good or better than it looks! And like all brilliant artisans of such he keeps finding ways to
improve upon that. I of course madly lust over a Kingswood LTD Atrium closed! Fortunately there is not one yet, and I have a lot of other priorities right now, a couple very significant that push this decision to the end of the year! But take heart knowing that whatever ZMF you own is a masterpiece! Embrace and treasure it for the miracle it is and with a bit of luck in the near future you may be able to add another.

Happy listening and thank the Audio God's for Zach's passion,

jgwtriode

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back