ZMF Atrium Closed
May 1, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #781 of 3,180
Do you have any suggestions for a tube amp $2500 and under to pair with my VC and AC?
I love the Pendant with the VO and VC. (It’s an Amps&Sound / ZMF collaboration, now discontinued but lives on in largely the same form as the Amps&Sound LeeLoo).

I believe you can still find them used on here for around $1800-2000.

It’s a neutral leaning tube amp as I understand it, and in fact it did seem as fast and crisp as my solid state GSX-Mini, but with some added smoothness and ease when compared to the Mini (that’s the best I can describe it).

May 1, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #782 of 3,180
Wowowow that's the exact type of figuring I'm hoping for when my Olive set arrives. LOVE it!
Agreed 100 percent! Crossing my fingers for Olive sets being around at the end of the year, too!

May 1, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #783 of 3,180
Do you have any suggestions for a tube amp $2500 and under to pair with my VC and AC?

I echo the recommendations here for Cayin HA-6A (if you like warm sound) and Amp & Sound (more neutral sounding). Quicksilver has some fans here in the community (never heard myself).

There are many options. I recommend checking out “The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones” where lots of ZMF owner share their tube amp knowledge:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-un-official-amp-thread-for-zmf-headphones.965309/

May 1, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #785 of 3,180
I really like the salire stand. Very sturdy.

That's a nice light wood..

I also find the Salire very space efficient when loaded with 2 headphones.

May 1, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #786 of 3,180
I think "recessed" gets tossed around as a dirty audiophile word in a weird way which is strange since many prefer a laid back presentation like you and me!

Truth be told - I purposely tuned the upper mids a little back on the AC due to finding that the upper mids need to be a little further back on closed headphones due to the nature of cup reflections. That being said I don't feel the mids are recessed - just not as forward as the AO (which at times can be too much for some). They are still more forward than any Verite variant.

As far as suede pads, every set will come with the Stock Caldera thin Lamb and Caldera Suede pads, so you won't have a choice but to get them. I definitely think every owner should try each, as I still highly prefer the lambskin, but totally see the merit and why so many people like the suede pads. It more comes down to whether you prefer a more liquid slightly bombastic presentation or a more linear harman type thing.

For Cherry VS Olive; the Cherry I find more forgiving in the upper mids and for a lot of music, can be easier on the ears if you're someone who prefers an easier sound. The Olive has a closer to Atrium Open tonality due to the slightly greater speed which creates a sense of more upper mids. This is along with the bass changes that has been well documented in reviews and on this thread.

Hope this helps!
Thanks Zach. I have gone back and forth with the pads. I have settled on the lambskins as I always do. The bass is bigger but faster and I prefer the way the integrated whole melds with them. I like the upper mids sitting back a smidge too, as it helps to accentuate the front to back layering that both Atrium's do so well. It is my favorite part of both headphones. I love the way they image from front to back. Lateral definition is great, but front to back is where the depth is at. It is the meat and potatoes of the sound and I sure do like Beef Bourguignon. :)

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 11:53 PM Post #787 of 3,180
This definitely wins an award for most helpful, fastest and inciteful review of zmf history! Over a month before release!

I've got some really nice stuff. Queensland maple, thuya burl, cocobolo, redwood burl, black and white ebony and more. I went a little nuts trying to make it fun. No stabilized or resin yet.

I have a few! Maybe 2 or 3. I think it's my favorite sound so far.
Planning any stabilized sets for the June Chicago show? I may just drive up and pick up a pair. This is in your backyard, you gotta bring the heat 😁

It's sooooo difficult deciding between the AO and Caldera. Kind of waiting for a few more different options of LTD, but you never know 😉

May 2, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #788 of 3,180
I echo the recommendations here for Cayin HA-6A (if you like warm sound) and Amp & Sound (more neutral sounding). Quicksilver has some fans here in the community (never heard myself).

There are many options. I recommend checking out “The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones” where lots of ZMF owner share their tube amp knowledge:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-un-official-amp-thread-for-zmf-headphones.965309/
Just for reference, the stock tubes in the Cayin 6A are warm, not necessarily the amp.

Last edited:
May 2, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #789 of 3,180
Just for reference, the stock tubes in the Cayin 6A are warm, not necessarily the amp.
Thanks, always good to learn something new 🙏

May 2, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #790 of 3,180
It looks few folks have already received their AC but not seeing any initial impressions yet! Strange… any initial impression? I have mine in order but also have VC and really questioning my decision and so looking forward to some impressions please!

May 2, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #791 of 3,180
It looks few folks have already received their AC but not seeing any initial impressions yet! Strange… any initial impression? I have mine in order but also have VC and really questioning my decision and so looking forward to some impressions please!

As @Monsterzero mentioned a week or so ago, I’m too waiting for the floor of first impressions to start soon, with all the expected comment of “wow that bass…” 😁😁😁

I think based on shipping before weekend we’ll start seeing these flood in this weekend…

May 2, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #792 of 3,180

Anyone that's received their AC recently has only had it for a max of 4 days if they bought on release so I'm sure they're still doing their due diligence before commenting. That said, I've read at least 5+ reviews comparing the AC to VC from folks in this thread that had early units. I'd recommend searching and reading through those! The over all consensus so far is that they're pretty oppositely tuned and are very complimentary. Which one people like more seem to be solely preference based thus far.

May 2, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #793 of 3,180
May 2, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #795 of 3,180
I’m letting my new pair burn-in for at least 100 hours before I dive into any impressions. Saw a few early comments saying burn-in makes a difference with the AC, so want to make sure that’s all done before spending too much time listening and comparing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back