ZMF Atrium Closed
Apr 30, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #766 of 3,270
Nice one! This wood is really special... congrats on nabbing the other one! :)
Thank you! They are indeed a special looking and wonderful sounding HP.

May 1, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #767 of 3,270
I see “V” shaped mentioned a lot with AC in many reviews. ZMF is know for great mid range, is AC a departure from it ? During my Canjam listen, I found it even sounding with more sub bass and not V shaped.

Both Atrium Open and Auteur have such a beautiful and natural mids. Effortless I would say. I hope AC follows the same.

V shaped means Mids are pulled back. If mids are good then I would say great mids with slightly elevated Bass and treble?
I hesitantly said V in my review, but I don't think it is what you're expecting. The mids are excellent. The extension in the upper mids and bottom is just noticeable when going from a VC. It is a different enough sound signature than the Verité that they could both hang around. To me the AC is just a fun, clean sound with a lot of sub heft when the music has it. I haven't heard the softer wood variant. The harder wood is tight and articulate. The Verité has moments where it still sounds like it has more speed and detail, but I prefer the AC tuning personally. It sounds very natural and nimble to me.

On the other, the upper mids to presence regions are elevated. That makes female vocal sound forward and intimate. The lower mids are somewhat recessed. But it all feels very balanced all in all.

The treble is not elevated (the reason why I would probably not call it V shape myself, but I understand the reference).
Yeah I totally agree with this. I'm sure if you looked at the graph it wouldn't look like a V at all. I know Zach has those measurements posted in here. The bass lift is definitely balanced by the upper mids. That tuning choice also makes the headphone feel more open I think.

May 1, 2023 at 5:28 AM Post #768 of 3,270
As @goldwerger correctly points out, his and the ones pictured are close. I was able to pick this pictured set up right after CJ NYC. They are gorgeous and sound superb! Thank you for snapping this pic!
Those are gorgeous, and irresistible.

May 1, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #769 of 3,270
Woke up from my slumber this morning and promptly made and espresso and got my first listen in with my cats.

Whoa.. this is exactly what I wanted and what I have been looking for. I still have a lot of burning in to do. I've only listened for a few hours but.. this baby puts a smile on my face. Doesn't even destroy some of the old hardcore I have that is recorded with what can only be a tin can.

My first take is is this as an Atticus Lover

The Atticus: Me at 25.. I'm wild, I'm here to party and there is no care in the world
The Atrium Closed: Me at 31.. I'm still kinda wild but like.. how about just two IPA's instead of 15 Genny Light's. Still wild but now "refined" with better and more grown up aspects to my life. I don't shoot sake now, I sip it.

May 1, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #770 of 3,270
Just got mine in. As much as I want to listen to them I just got home from my wedding.. and am eh.. a wee bit hungover

Going to crush a nap and then do some listening. Can’t get over how light they feel.
Woke up from my slumber this morning and promptly made and espresso and got my first listen in with my cats.

Whoa.. this is exactly what I wanted and what I have been looking for. I still have a lot of burning in to do. I've only listened for a few hours but.. this baby puts a smile on my face. Doesn't even destroy some of the old hardcore I have that is recorded with what can only be a tin can.

The Atticus: Me at 25.. I'm wild, I'm here to party and there is no care in the world
The Atrium Closed: Me at 31.. I'm still kinda wild but like.. how about just two IPA's instead of 15 Genny Light's. Still wild but now "refined" with better and more grown up aspects to my life. I don't shoot sake now, I sip it.
If I'm reading this correctly kudos to your significant other for not punching you square in the nose ...
I haven't had an opportunity to listen the Atrium Closed yet and have been living vicariously through the impressions of you all :)

Congrats on your wedding and your new Atrium Closed!
:beerchug:

May 1, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #771 of 3,270

Congrats on both!

Can’t wait to listen to mine when they arrive.

The Atticus comparisons are interesting. I was thinking the AC were meant to be more of an evolution of the Eikon.

May 1, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #773 of 3,270
I'll also add that the AC changes nicely with tube swaps.

Indeed. As well as changes with amps. I've tried it on 5 different tube amp combinations and getting distinct variations. It is not amp pick and sounded good off all amps I have tried with it (tube and ss), but it is definiltely revealing of amps, which is great for finding unique synregies.

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #774 of 3,270
My Olive Wood set arrived this morning. They’re beautiful, but that’s a given when it comes to ZMF! Currently burning in.

49F6ED98-95B6-47E1-8DBF-F7618BD3B8B1.jpeg

Had traded for an Aged Cherry AC recently, so now just have to decide which one I’ll keep.

May 1, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #775 of 3,270
My Olive Wood set arrived this morning. They’re beautiful, but that’s a given when it comes to ZMF! Currently burning in.

Had traded for an Aged Cherry AC recently, so now just have to decide which one I’ll keep.
Wowowow that's the exact type of figuring I'm hoping for when my Olive set arrives. LOVE it! Enjoy - excited to hear your impressions comparing the two woods :)

May 1, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #776 of 3,270
Indeed. As well as changes with amps. I've tried it on 5 different tube amp combinations and getting distinct variations. It is not amp pick and sounded good off all amps I have tried with it (tube and ss), but it is definiltely revealing of amps, which is great for finding unique synregies.
Do you have any suggestions for a tube amp $2500 and under to pair with my VC and AC?

May 1, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #777 of 3,270

Oh man decisions decisions. Let us know how the sound compares. I didn't have a chance to try the softer wood.

May 1, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #778 of 3,270
Do you have any suggestions for a tube amp $2500 and under to pair with my VC and AC?
Maybe the Cayin HA-6A? You can get a bundle discount with your ACs. If you already ordered just reach out to ZMF. I love the HA-300mk ii. The 6A is pretty versatile for tube swapping and it has the Triode / Ultralinear switch. Pretty good stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back