ZMF Atrium Closed; Release Day Info, Decware OTL, Content and more!
May 6, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #76 of 86
Oh ok. I usually go to the source only because if I end up doing something based on somebody told me on a forum, and it ends are being wrong, then I got the manufacturer saying to me, Why don’t you ask me instead of asking some random guy on the Internet?

May 6, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #77 of 86
Can somebody help a noob out here? There’s no manual, in the box or online, so what is the right way to plug this thing in?
@goldwerger

6B8720D0-9132-4951-B4AC-7E7B78AC0D69.jpeg
Congrats on your new amp. A few things I can suggest to a toob noob....

Give the whole thing some time to burn-in. The tubes need to burn-in as does the amp itself, so if what you're hearing is less-than-great, give it time.

Always make sure that you put the correct tubes into the correct socket. Sounds obvious, but it has happened and it can spell disaster if the tubes are in the wrong sockets.

After you've put a few hundred hours on your new amp and have a baseline on what it sounds like, don't be afraid to roll some NOS tubes. It can be mind-blowing what a difference a single tube can make.

May 6, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #78 of 86
There isn't any documentation yet as far as I know. Zach's been replying to questions on Head-Fi, I think that's currently the only source of info aside from the product description on the website.
You can view some of the forums, blogs and papers over at the Decware site. https://www.decware.com/newsite/homepage.html

Zach's collaboration is based off the Taboo model and Decware does have owner's manuals posted for each.

May 6, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #79 of 86
I got it. In retrospect it would have been obvious if I'd tried it, but I'm erring on the side of caution since it's my first go-round with tubes and I didn't want to make an early and expensive mistake.

What's the deal with the input voltage knobs? Is there a general rule about where those should land relative to master volume? If I put those at 12:00 and master volume at 11:30 or so it's a pretty comfortable listening level. But, I'm not sure if there's an 'ideal' position for SQ.

No worries. As “patient zero” I’m happy to help :)

The back knobs control the input voltage, so you can crank it up or down a bit depending whether your DAC’s output voltage is relatively low or high. There are small white marks on the knobs to show default position (around 1-2 o’clock from memory as I’m away from home) but it doesn’t matter. Just adjust to your ears.

I find the best sound is when the master volume knobs is around 10-11 o’clock but this will be to your taste and chain. Anything goes..

May 6, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #80 of 86
Congrats on your new amp. A few things I can suggest to a toob noob....

Give the whole thing some time to burn-in. The tubes need to burn-in as does the amp itself, so if what you're hearing is less-than-great, give it time.

Always make sure that you put the correct tubes into the correct socket. Sounds obvious, but it has happened and it can spell disaster if the tubes are in the wrong sockets.

After you've put a few hundred hours on your new amp and have a baseline on what it sounds like, don't be afraid to roll some NOS tubes. It can be mind-blowing what a difference a single tube can make.
Shouldn't burn-in be performed at the factory, in a burn-in rack of some sort. Requiring the end user to burn-in your product seems like a good way to
lose customers. I've worked in Test Engineering for many years, and it's just part of the process. Of course, given the product cost, only so much time can be
allocated.

May 6, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #82 of 86
Shouldn't burn-in be performed at the factory, in a burn-in rack of some sort. Requiring the end user to burn-in your product seems like a good way to
lose customers. I've worked in Test Engineering for many years, and it's just part of the process. Of course, given the product cost, only so much time can be
allocated.
I'd guess that factory burn-in varies from company to company. I just spent time with a high end DAC that inside of the owners manual it stated to allow 300 hours of burn-in time prior to passing judgement.

I believe ZMF has cut the amount of time they burn-in individual headphones prior to shipping, but don't quote me on that.

In the case of vintage NOS tubes, if said tube is truly NOS then it will have zero hours on them.

I'm at the point now where I simply assume that no factory burn-in has taken place and doing it myself is just part of the ownership process.

May 14, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #83 of 86
Just a friendly reminder and note that today is the last day to get the Atrium Closed release discount until midnight central time (15 hrs from now). We also will discontinue the sale of the Italian Olive at the same time if you were interested in that one!

https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/stock-headphones

And if you haven't read it yet the Headfonics review does an excellent job describing the sonics of the AC: https://headfonics.com/zmf-headphones-atrium-closed-review/

Along with the head-fi reviews as good reading too.

And don't forget to check out the YouTube reviews if that's your jam: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Atrium+Closed+reviews

_DSC9153.jpg_DSC9216.jpg_DSC9246.jpg_DSC9269.jpg

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 17, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #84 of 86
Just got the decware otl amp and I'm glad I picked one up. While I really liked headphones like the Atrium and Atticus on 300b, I preferred my aeolus and verites on my otl amp the schitt folkvangr. After living with the folkvangr for a while I wondered if I could get more out of an otl design. From what I've read otl amps usually max out in capabilites around the price of the schitt folkvangr and getting any more improvements to the sound should probably be spent on other types of tube amps unless you go crazy on a maybe a diy build. It seems like it would be a challenge to improve the otl design.

My aeolus is my overall favorite headphone ever and I wanted to know if I could somehow get more than what the folkvangr offered and so I talked to Zach about this decware colab amp. After hearing it I can confirm it is an upgrade from my folkvangr. I'm surprised the otl design can be pushed even further.

The decware one is cleaner with less resonces than the folkvangr. The bass on the decware also hits hard like the schitt otl, but the decware has a more deeper fuller sounding bass (a strong punch with better extension at the bottom). I had no issues with the speed of the folkvangr but the decware one is noticeably faster.

Stage and imaging on the decware has a blacker background but still presents a super smooth and lush sound I expected from an otl amp. Sounds are more holographic than on the folkvangr. I don't have much experience with tube amps but if you do own alot of dynamic headphones like zmfs and sennheisers, this amp is very impressive, especially for the size as it is long but not wide. Its also not as heavy as my other amps, but its sound does compete with the best amps I have. I'm surprised an amp this compact is so capable that it competes with my agartha and king amp.

The lush sweet sound from tube amps like this decware one is where I prefer to be with my aeolus. Now I just gotta get an atrium closed and I'll have all the zmf dynamics released so far to enjoy on this amp.

Thanks @zach915m

Attachments

• 20230517_223013.jpg
    20230517_223013.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
May 17, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #85 of 86
Just got the decware otl amp and I'm glad I picked one up. While I really liked headphones like the Atrium and Atticus on 300b, I preferred my aeolus and verites on my otl amp the schitt folkvangr. After living with the folkvangr for a while I wondered if I could get more out of an otl design. From what I've read otl amps usually max out in capabilites around the price of the schitt folkvangr and getting any more improvements to the sound should probably be spent on other types of tube amps unless you go crazy on a maybe a diy build. It seems like it would be a challenge to improve the otl design.

My aeolus is my overall favorite headphone ever and I wanted to know if I could somehow get more than what the folkvangr offered and so I talked to Zach about this decware colab amp. After hearing it I can confirm it is an upgrade from my folkvangr. I'm surprised the otl design can be pushed even further.

The decware one is cleaner with less resonces than the folkvangr. The bass on the decware also hits hard like the schitt otl, but the decware has a more deeper fuller sounding bass (a strong punch with better extension at the bottom). I had no issues with the speed of the folkvangr but the decware one is noticeably faster.

Stage and imaging on the decware has a blacker background but still presents a super smooth and lush sound I expected from an otl amp. Sounds are more holographic than on the folkvangr. I don't have much experience with tube amps but if you do own alot of dynamic headphones like zmfs and sennheisers, this amp is very impressive, especially for the size as it is long but not wide. Its also not as heavy as my other amps, but its sound does compete with the best amps I have. I'm surprised an amp this compact is so capable that it competes with my agartha and king amp.

The lush sweet sound from tube amps like this decware one is where I prefer to be with my aeolus. Now I just gotta get an atrium closed and I'll have all the zmf dynamics released so far to enjoy on this amp.

Thanks @zach915m
Great write up. If you have a chance kindly re-post in the ZMF amp thread

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-un-official-amp-thread-for-zmf-headphones.965309/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back