ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Aug 1, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #1,531 of 6,751
Which DAC do you recommend with the liquid spark? I guess I could hide the dac under desk or something

Actually what about the LP and then the burson dac that slides into your computer?
I don't recommend the Liquid Spark. I do recommend the Liquid Platinum, and the best balanced dac you can afford.

Aug 1, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #1,533 of 6,751
Ignore me, apologies. I meant Liquid Plat not the cheaper spark

what’s the best balances dac you recommend to pair with the LP? I thought the burson swing may be a good option?
I don't recommend the Liquid Spark. I do recommend the Liquid Platinum, and the best balanced dac you can afford.

Yep! Sorry mistyped there. I’m ordering the LP. Just need a dac to pair and ideally one not taking more desk space. Thought the burson swing would be a nice option to fit inside my computer

Aug 1, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #1,534 of 6,751
Ignore me, apologies. I meant Liquid Plat not the cheaper spark

what’s the best balances dac you recommend to pair with the LP? I thought the burson swing may be a good option?
No prob! Honestly, I have only used the Schiit Modi Mulitbit (single ended), and Schiit Gungnir Multibit (balanced) dacs, and therefore don't have many recommendations. I will say, that the Gungnir Multibit in balanced mode, is a match made in heaven with the LP, but is also twice the price of the amp. I believe others might have some better (cheaper) options for balanced dacs, but the Modi Multibit (single ended) into the LP, actually sounded pretty darn good. Also, the designer of the amp suggest using the balanced inputs and outputs, so that is what I am doing. You will get all kinds of theories on balanced vs. single ended, but none of the people explaining the theories, designed the amp in question. One thing of note, is that the LP is quite transparent and revealing of the dac being used, and that is why I recommend going with the best one you can afford. The better the upstream gear is, the better the LP will sound.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #1,535 of 6,751
I think balanced is great, but I wouldn’t necessarily focus on it being a priority...that being said...
Grace s DAC balanced on (Mass)Drop.com is a smoking deal and is tiny/easy to hide.
Gishelli (sp?) has a balanced DAC I believe that is smaller form function but doesn’t have USB connection.
My personal favorite balanced DAC is the RME ADI-2DAC, but it is pricey (ish) but also in my opinion best bang for the buck.

Now if not going balanced, which if your going balanced for balance sake, I would recommend just getting a standard DAC as your options open up exponentially in the under $600 range.

I absolutely recommend the Airist R-2R DAC, or any of the Schiit DACs (But Multibit would be first choice).

Here is a thread from another forum that I feel explains it fairly well (I’m no engineer, it find it fascinating, want to take some engineering courses for fun): https://forum.headphones.com/t/single-ended-balanced-differential-what-it-means/3571?u=darthpool

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #1,536 of 6,751
I wonder if anyone here has experience pairing the Aeolus with some of the more expensive and hard to obtain tube amps? I love the sound of my ZDT Jr but I always bought it with the idea of getting used to a tube amp. Particularly interested in:

• EC Zana Deux
  • Donald North Stratus
  • ZMF Pendant
  • Decware amps
  • ECP L2
  • Ampsandsound Kenzie & Encore
  • Any of the Glenn offerings comparable to the amps mentioned above
I wish some of the somewhat cheaper offerings by those companies were available on the used market so I could get an impression of their house sound (DNA Sonnet, EC Super7). It's something for the long term but I'm just just curious if someone was in a postion to listen to and compare those amps with a Aeolus or other headphone.

Aug 1, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #1,537 of 6,751
I wonder if anyone here has experience pairing the Aeolus with some of the more expensive and hard to obtain tube amps? I love the sound of my ZDT Jr but I always bought it with the idea of getting used to a tube amp. Particularly interested in:

• EC Zana Deux
  • Donald North Stratus
  • ZMF Pendant
  • Decware amps
  • ECP L2
I wish some of the somewhat cheaper offerings by those companies were available on the used market so I could get an impression of their house sound (DNA Sonnet, EC Super7). It's something for the long term but I'm just just curious if someone was in a postion to listen to and compare those amps with a Aeolus or other headphone.
I am interested in all those as well! I am really interested in the ZMF Pendant, and that is probably the way I am going to go. I really can't believe the Pendant is not talked about more, as it was made for ZMF cans.

Aug 1, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #1,538 of 6,751
Yes agree the ZMF Pendant seems very interesting. It has a couple of things going for it. It's probably easier to obtain than most of the other amps on the list. It actually pops up on the used market from time to time. I think it's also more neutral and has better technicalities than the other A&S produced amps, which could benefit the Aeolus.

Aug 1, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #1,539 of 6,751

• EC Zana Deux
  • Donald North Stratus
  • ZMF Pendant
  • Decware amps
  • ECP L2
I wish some of the somewhat cheaper offerings by those companies were available on the used market so I could get an impression of their house sound (DNA Sonnet, EC Super7). It's something for the long term but I'm just just curious if someone was in a position to listen to and compare those amps with a Aeolus or other headphone.

Aeolus sounds great on the Stratus (along with most everything), but I don't think it scales quite as well as the Auteur/Verite. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing as that helps reaffirm it's outstanding price point.

Same goes with the Glenn OTL. A lot of that depends on your tubes as far as specific sound though.

Aug 1, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #1,540 of 6,751
Yes agree the ZMF Pendant seems very interesting. It has a couple of things going for it. It's probably easier to obtain than most of the other amps on the list. It actually pops up on the used market from time to time. I think it's also more neutral and has better technicalities than the other A&S produced amps, which could benefit the Aeolus.
My thoughts exactly. I also like the tube choices with the Pendant, as I already have a bunch of killer 12au7 tubes. The Pendant seems like the best option to me, as it was tuned with Zach's ears, just like his headphones. I also read the review about it being neutral, clean and fast, which could be the best match for the already warm Aeolus. I am really thinking the Pendant with Aeolus, is my future endgame, but for now I am content with my BHC Speedball. Time to sell some gear, and start saving up. . .

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #1,541 of 6,751
Aeolus sounds great on the Stratus (along with most everything), but I don't think it scales quite as well as the Auteur/Verite. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing as that helps reaffirm it's outstanding price point.

Same goes with the Glenn OTL. A lot of that depends on your tubes as far as specific sound though.
Hey man!

Have you heard the Pendant? If so, any thoughts compared to other amps? Thanks!

Aug 1, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #1,542 of 6,751
There are a bunch of impressions throughout this thread!

Okay yeah I know it's over 100 pages. I'm sure you can search the thread for people you like though...my impressions are here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-aeolus-impressions-thread.890441/page-27#post-14670064

Hearing them is always the best bet, but you are quite a distance from London...good luck!
I recommend you to try these out if you can. I bought these blind due to the amazing reviews and I slightly regretted it. I feel like I may be in the minority but I tried the Aeolus and I wasn't super impressed. I found the sound to be a bit too dark and muffled sounding. However, I only tried the stock pads. Zach suggested I try the suede pads, but I jumped on an opportunity to trade for a pair of Auteurs so I never got to try the Aeolus with suede.
Thanks for the input guys, I think the best thing is if I can try them first, it's too much money to buy them without it, I think Acorn Audio here in the UK will loan you a pair for a week, so I might contact them and give it a go.

Aug 2, 2019 at 12:24 AM Post #1,543 of 6,751

• EC Zana Deux
  • Donald North Stratus
  • ZMF Pendant
  • Decware amps
  • ECP L2

I heard my Aeolus very briefly (too briefly!) on a Pendant & a Zana Deux at a local meet, it was absolutely sublime on both (fed by an Yggdrasil, IDK which iteration).
I found the Zana to be a bit sharper in the treble, excellent bass and having the wider wider stage, the pendant had a little more low end oomph, and the stage wasn't that fat behind.

I've never heard the Stratus (probably better for my wallet) but FWIW, I love the pairing with my Sonnet 2 as well (I have a Gungnir D/S right now).
The bass extends beautifully, very stereotypically SS like in that regard, tight not sloppy, with decent kick (SS wins out here many times depending on tuning though).
Mids are beautiful, lush with that hard to describe 'tube' quality.
treble extends, maybe slightly rolled up on the tippy top, but my old ears don't miss anything.
Not a ginormous headstage, but definitely not claustrophobic either. Very believable and spacious feeling.

Tubes could change much of the minutia. but isn't going to turn the Sonnet into a Zana Deux by any stretch of the imagination.

Good luck with your search!

Aug 2, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #1,544 of 6,751
Hey man!

Have you heard the Pendant? If so, any thoughts compared to other amps? Thanks!

I've not heard the Pendant. Sorry. Ampsandsound make terrific amps though!

Aug 2, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #1,545 of 6,751
ZMF HP stand in the house. My old cherry wood Atticus!

https://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/salire

_DSC2592-4.JPG

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back