ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jul 30, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #1,516 of 6,741
144770DF-4154-4AE8-84C1-206236356EFB.jpeg

Just a simple snapshot picture just can't show the beauty of the headphone and stand

Jul 30, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #1,517 of 6,741
Just received my Aeolus from zeppelin & co after waiting for a month!

It's really expensive but handcrafted headphone really is top notch.
Comes with a balance and 3/4 inch cable, hard pelican case, headband cushion, and lastly a headphone stand.

Using it with smsl su 8 plus thx aaa 789 balance out.

The whole set just screams quality.

Get some tubes if you want to really unlock the TPE driver’s potential

Everyone said the Atticus was picky about amps and get tubes. After spending $1100 on the cans and $500 on the DAC, I was reluctant, but it can’t be denied that the somewhat compressed or flat nature of the mids (with the a solid state amp) gets replaced (by tubes) with holographic mids that are meaty and rich. I know this sounds like hyperbole, but I feel like I didn’t really hear my Atticus until I got the ZDTj. I can only imagine how good it sounds through a TOTL tube setup.

Jul 31, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #1,520 of 6,741
Has anyone compared the Aeolus to the TH-X00 Mahogany? Impressions? Which sounds more 'fun,' or 'involving'?

Jul 31, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #1,522 of 6,741
Hey squad! Any rec in combined amp dac for the aelous? I have the jds element but I feel like these cans deserve something better

I want to keep my office desk clean so has to be a combo unit

what about the astell l100?

it seems there isn’t a tube amp dac combo

thanks!

Jul 31, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #1,523 of 6,741
Hey squad! Any rec in combined amp dac for the aelous? I have the jds element but I feel like these cans deserve something better

thanks!

Lyr 3 with Multibit DAC

Zach himself said Lyr 3 was a good pairing with my Atticus.

@Wes S Thoughts?

Jul 31, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #1,525 of 6,741
Aug 1, 2019 at 3:17 AM Post #1,526 of 6,741
They look fab, thinking of getting a pair myself. What are they like sound wise?.
I recommend you to try these out if you can. I bought these blind due to the amazing reviews and I slightly regretted it. I feel like I may be in the minority but I tried the Aeolus and I wasn't super impressed. I found the sound to be a bit too dark and muffled sounding. However, I only tried the stock pads. Zach suggested I try the suede pads, but I jumped on an opportunity to trade for a pair of Auteurs so I never got to try the Aeolus with suede.

Aug 1, 2019 at 3:28 AM Post #1,527 of 6,741

thanks!

I'm loving the Aeolus with the Elekit TU-8600R.
Its way too big and expensive for an office unit, and doesnt have a DAC,
BUT its little brother TU-8200 may be a great fit as well (and has a DAC option)
https://vkmusic.ca/TU-8200.htm

(I've read in diyAudio that an updated version is coming out soon)

Aug 1, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #1,528 of 6,741
Lyr 3 with Multibit DAC

Zach himself said Lyr 3 was a good pairing with my Atticus.

@Wes S Thoughts?
They sounded good with the Lyr 3, but not near as good as with the LP and BHC Speedball, so I only listened for a short time.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #1,529 of 6,741
They sounded good with the Lyr 3, but not near as good as with the LP and BHC Speedball, so I only listened for a short time.

Which DAC do you recommend with the liquid spark? I guess I could hide the dac under desk or something

Actually what about the LP and then the burson dac that slides into your computer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back