ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Aug 2, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #1,546 of 6,743
Aug 2, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #1,548 of 6,743
Aug 4, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #1,550 of 6,743
Hey folks - first post here, but hoping for some advice. I'm going for my first upgrade from the 6XX, and while I was previously looking at LCD-2C or Elex, I had a fortunate month and am now able to go straight to what I think will be my personal endgame, and I'm looking at either Aeolus or the LCD-X. However I'm not in a position to be able to test them, as no retailer in Ireland stocks Aeolus or has LCD-X on demo, and I want to make sure I'm getting the right set for me before I drop that much money on a pair of headphones.

To that end, I'd appreciate if folks here could help.

What I like about the 6XX: Vocals! I'm a huge fan of vocals, and the forward vocals of the 6XX are super enjoyable to me, particularly on acoustic tracks.

The music I listen to: A good mix, but I really like my metal and soundtracks. I like some EDM as a guilty pleasure. Not into hip hop/rap/r&b etc.

Songs I'd like to sound good on my new set of cans: Like a Stone (live) by Chris Cornell, Hanezeve Caradhina from the Made In Abyss soundtrack, Zanarkand from Distant Worlds 2, Rain City by Turin Brakes, anything by CHRCHES, anything by Slipknot.

Hopefully that helps give some context. Help and advice super appreciated :)

Aug 4, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #1,551 of 6,743
Hey folks - first post here, but hoping for some advice. I'm going for my first upgrade from the 6XX, and while I was previously looking at LCD-2C or Elex, I had a fortunate month and am now able to go straight to what I think will be my personal endgame, and I'm looking at either Aeolus or the LCD-X. However I'm not in a position to be able to test them, as no retailer in Ireland stocks Aeolus or has LCD-X on demo, and I want to make sure I'm getting the right set for me before I drop that much money on a pair of headphones.

To that end, I'd appreciate if folks here could help.

What I like about the 6XX: Vocals! I'm a huge fan of vocals, and the forward vocals of the 6XX are super enjoyable to me, particularly on acoustic tracks.

The music I listen to: A good mix, but I really like my metal and soundtracks. I like some EDM as a guilty pleasure. Not into hip hop/rap/r&b etc.

Songs I'd like to sound good on my new set of cans: Like a Stone (live) by Chris Cornell, Hanezeve Caradhina from the Made In Abyss soundtrack, Zanarkand from Distant Worlds 2, Rain City by Turin Brakes, anything by CHRCHES, anything by Slipknot.

Hopefully that helps give some context. Help and advice super appreciated :)
I think the Aeolus would be closer in “sound” to the 6xx but they are different tiers/flavors lol, so keep that in mind. I’ve written up a review of the LCD-X, and found it very neutral and more of a reference style sound. If you are looking for fun sounding while still having great imaging, tone, stage etc, my preference is the Aeolus...plus the Aeolus is more unique and once again in my opinion a better looking headphone. It is heirloom levels of quality =) also you can email ZMF and see if they have any b-stock and save a lil bit of cash. =)

Aug 4, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #1,552 of 6,743
I think the Aeolus would be closer in “sound” to the 6xx but they are different tiers/flavors lol, so keep that in mind. I’ve written up a review of the LCD-X, and found it very neutral and more of a reference style sound. If you are looking for fun sounding while still having great imaging, tone, stage etc, my preference is the Aeolus...plus the Aeolus is more unique and once again in my opinion a better looking headphone. It is heirloom levels of quality =) also you can email ZMF and see if they have any b-stock and save a lil bit of cash. =)

Thanks for the advice! That sounds like what I'm looking for. I enjoy actually intensely listening to music, but I also just like to sit back and relax too. Everything I've read leads me to believe that the Aeolus suits that mix of detail while also still being "enjoyable" to listen to. I'll take a look at your LCD-X review too.

Aug 4, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #1,553 of 6,743
Thanks for the advice! That sounds like what I'm looking for. I enjoy actually intensely listening to music, but I also just like to sit back and relax too. Everything I've read leads me to believe that the Aeolus suits that mix of detail while also still being "enjoyable" to listen to. I'll take a look at your LCD-X review too.
I wrote it here: https://www.headphones.com/blogs/news/audeze-lcd-x-open-back-planar-magnetic-headphone-review

I’m still learning the ropes on posting my reviews on Head-Fi. Headphones.com and their forum really got me into being more social in these spaces.

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #1,554 of 6,743
Welp, I did it.

s-l1600.jpg

They should arrive this week. Comes with case, stock pads, universe suede pads, and the OFC cable. My bank account is sweating but I am so excited.

Aug 5, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #1,555 of 6,743
Welp, I did it.

s-l1600.jpg

They should arrive this week. Comes with case, stock pads, universe suede pads, and the OFC cable. My bank account is sweating but I am so excited.

Congrats, I was looking at the very same pair, but I have some gear I need to sell first. The wood grain on those looks stunning.

Aug 5, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #1,556 of 6,743
Welp, I did it.

s-l1600.jpg

Which wood is that?

Aug 5, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #1,557 of 6,743
Congrats, I was looking at the very same pair, but I have some gear I need to sell first. The wood grain on those looks stunning.

Yeah, it's what caused me to just pull the trigger right now rather than hum and haw a bit. When I saw some of the images with the Ziricote in this thread I was just like... I must have this. Hopefully you can get a pair when you want one!

Which wood is that?

It's the Ziricote version.

Aug 5, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #1,558 of 6,743
Anyone have both the Atticus and the Aeolus? I love my Atticus and am kind of lusting after the Aeolus, but is the sound sufficiently different to justify having both?
Funny you should ask! I am interested in the Atticus and have the Aeolus. I love the Aeolus so much, that I really want the closed back version. Seems to me, those 2 could be very good compliments.

Aug 5, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #1,559 of 6,743
This album really pops, with the Aeolus! I have never heard bass from my Aeolus, like I did with this album. If you really want to show someone, what the a Aeolus can do, put this album on. WOW!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back