ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Aug 8, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #1,561 of 6,740
After a long hiatus from the hifi world, I'm back and I ordered a pair of aeolus. Its gonna be a very long 2-5 weeks.

Really cant escape this hobby. XD
Of course you can!

But where's the fun in that??

Nothing I've found makes the wait easier, but the end result is sure worth it...

Aug 10, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #1,562 of 6,740
Aug 10, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #1,563 of 6,740
Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #1,564 of 6,740
I wonder if anyone here has experience pairing the Aeolus with some of the more expensive and hard to obtain tube amps? I love the sound of my ZDT Jr but I always bought it with the idea of getting used to a tube amp. Particularly interested in:

• EC Zana Deux
  • Donald North Stratus
  • ZMF Pendant
  • Decware amps
  • ECP L2
  • Ampsandsound Kenzie & Encore
  • Any of the Glenn offerings comparable to the amps mentioned above
I wish some of the somewhat cheaper offerings by those companies were available on the used market so I could get an impression of their house sound (DNA Sonnet, EC Super7). It's something for the long term but I'm just just curious if someone was in a postion to listen to and compare those amps with a Aeolus or other headphone.

Don’t forget the Feliks Euforia, with the right tubes it’s a wonderful combination!

Aug 10, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #1,565 of 6,740
The rose gold grille's are :fire::fire::fire:!!!

00000IMG_00000_BURST20190810142157596_COVER (1).jpg
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190810142113862_COVER (1).jpg

Aug 10, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #1,566 of 6,740
Aug 10, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #1,568 of 6,740
Indeed they are...they'd look awesome on the ltd. edition African Blackwood IMO. (This look like the copper?)

_DSC3101.JPG

Yea, that combo looks so sinister.

Aug 10, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #1,570 of 6,740
Welp, I did it.

s-l1600.jpg

They should arrive this week. Comes with case, stock pads, universe suede pads, and the OFC cable. My bank account is sweating but I am so excited.
That LTD wood and color combo reminds me if a ZMF took a take on the Audeze LCD4 color scheme; one of my favorites. Lovely looking and sounding headphone.

Aug 11, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #1,573 of 6,740
Has anyone compared the Aeolus to the TH-X00 Mahogany? Impressions? Which sounds more 'fun,' or 'involving'?

I had the Aeolus for 2 weeks in my system, though not in recent months; and owned, then sold the TH-X00s 2-3 years ago. Sonic memory being flawed, factor that in when reading my impressions.

IMO the TX-00 did one thing really well, better than any headphone I'd heard up to then: sub-bass. On the right material, that headphone rang my head like a bell. That was weirdly entertaining. The rest of the bass range was pretty solid, too. But after that, all my impressions were bad: mids at best were average (a "V" shaped sound); upper mids and treble were harsh & bright, challenging on any but the smoothest recordings; treble sounded grainy, the opposite of smooth; and comfort was terrible. From the 2-3 amps I had at that time, the TX-00 didn't appear to scale much, though it liked power. I quickly sold it & never missed it. Later on I got the Emu Teak, which are physically nearly identical to the TX-00, but greatly preferable in sound. I only sold that HP because the comfort was bad.

The Aeolus is an entirely different level of quality in every way, physically & sonically. It's beautiful & well-crafted in the ZMF style; I found it very comfortable to wear. The sonics ranged from "pretty nice" w/medium power SS amps; scaled up to "oh, my!" w/high power SS; and sounded quite amazing on an OTL tube amp. The Aeolus scales like mad. The overall balance is somewhat warm, but not syrupy/gooey. Bass is excellent & gets even better when you pair it with a powerful SS amp, or better yet, an OTL. Mids are gorgeous: big, detailed, smooth, musical. Treble probably isn't the last word in extension & resolution, but I'm glad for it, as it's so musical. This is one of the few headphones that just kills on pretty much any genre. It sounds as good on electric blues as it does on large-scale classical, instrumental &/or choral. I can't say that about many headphones I've heard...

I heard it w/original pads, then verite/flatter pads & distinctly preferred the latter.

In a few weeks I'm borrowing this one again. Need to refresh my sonic memory of that very pleasing sound, both fun & involving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back