ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jul 19, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #1,501 of 6,719
Vocals on aeolus are so natural and detailed it really sounds like they're in the room with you, definitely one of the best parts of aeolus I don't think you'll be disappointed, if you listen to a lot of female vocals the suede pads would probably give you more forward sound.
I concur.

Jul 19, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #1,502 of 6,719
I'm just about to lay down a deposit for a Aeolus Sapele (2 week wait for new stock in the UK).

Still very hesitant though as I need to sell before I buy.

How does it handle female vocals? Does the opened back design give the upper mids more room to breath?

I've read some very positive reviews. I've never put a ZMF of any kind over my ears before!

Cheers!
Yes I heard there's a bit of a wait here in the UK, I'm interested in the Aeolus too, btw if you are used to a closed back you will find the open nature of this hp to be very airy by comparison.

Jul 21, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #1,504 of 6,719
I dinged one of the cups on my Aeolus; so just received ‘em back from repair. I had the rods replaced with slightly extended ones (as well)...to offer more roominess on fitment (for my head size). I also had the side coverings changed from black to the brass tone...for more of a vintage steampunk look (why not?). Again...another example of the accommodating support by Zach & the ZMF staff.

Seems there were several ‘mentions’ for Beck recently. My fave Beck album is Morning Phase. Currently running the Prince Originals release on Tidal through the Aeolus. The weekend’s here...happy uninterrupted listening to all.

Real quick...if anyone owns a LAB12 OTL HPA please share your impressions. I’ve read a few reviews online but wanted to get some feedback from an actual owner.

Update: I purchased the lesser known LAB12 OTL HPA (unheard). It has a wow factor...straight out of the box. It’s a pre & hp amp along with an onboard dac. It brings raw grunt & a sense of airiness into the foreground. Ok...I’ve done my best with the superlatives...in short...it sounds fantastic.

As others have mentioned...I think it’s the combo of tubes in a output transform-less design that makes things sound lively & organic.

I also love the versatility of being able to listen to desktop speakers or headphones (Aeolus & HD6XX). The Aeolus are wonderfully paired with OTLs as many have stated here (who knew?).

My only con is ordering the amp. I had to source it from a US retailer who then obtained it from a Canadian distributor who then placed the order through the manufacturer in Greece (dicey supply chain to say the least).

Bonus note: The biggest surprise was how well this amp scaled up the SQ, not only of the Aeolus, but tackled the veiled sound of the HD 6XX...bringing it into damn near Aeolus territory. I never quite understood the vs. comparison being made in these forums...until now...as it’s likely gear dependent.
2733E75D-ED55-47DD-B526-E877308D4C0B.jpeg

Jul 21, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #1,506 of 6,719
Just purchased the Aeolus with additional micro suede pads. Just need to wait 8 days now though!
I have an ifi ican pro, hopefully proves a decent match.
I do enjoy my ifi iCan Pro with the Aeolus, I don't think you'll be disappointed...enjoy!!

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #1,508 of 6,719
Does the Aeolus sound dark like the hd650 ?
My ears/my chain there is definitely a similar tonality. Aeolus has much better extension at both ends, and a larger midbass hump (depending on pads). Mids I think would be a matter of preference, Overall, I think Aeolus is less dark. An addictive sound for me for sure.

It might be worth noting that I've read the Senn had many silent revisions making the 650 progressively less dark as time went on, which could skew your perceptions.

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #1,509 of 6,719
My initial impressions after a few hours from new (not sure how much burn in these require) is of a very warm, organic sound that is extremely addictive.
I'd say the 650 are technically better with vocals but as an all round headphone for listening pleasure there is no competition.
I've yet to try my micro suede pads with them though, apparently this will flatten the mid bass slightly.
I have paired the Aeolus with my ifi ican pro, with a little sub bass boost these cans just shine!
Hope that helps a bit!

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #1,510 of 6,719
My initial impressions after a few hours from new (not sure how much burn in these require) is of a very warm, organic sound that is extremely addictive.
I'd say the 650 are technically better with vocals but as an all round headphone for listening pleasure there is no competition.
I've yet to try my micro suede pads with them though, apparently this will flatten the mid bass slightly.
I have paired the Aeolus with my ifi ican pro, with a little sub bass boost these cans just shine!
Hope that helps a bit!
The vocals will get better, with burn in at around 100 hours, and then it surpasses my HD650, in all aspects. They do have similarities, as mentioned.

Jul 29, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #1,511 of 6,719
Finally got my Aeolus in!!! Barely looked at them before getting them on my head, and it was torture to wait the recommended 5 minute warm-up period for my WA3.

Sounds great on Nick Cave's Tender Prey (already had it queued up in Roon, and it IS one of my faves). Can't wait for them to break in

Jul 30, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #1,512 of 6,719
The vocals will get better, with burn in at around 100 hours, and then it surpasses my HD650, in all aspects. They do have similarities, as mentioned.

I agree, since I’ve had my Aeolus, burned in and paired with tubes, the old 650 can’t keep up.

Jul 30, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #1,513 of 6,719
I agree, since I’ve had my Aeolus, burned in and paired with tubes, the old 650 can’t keep up.
I brought out my HD650, when I first got the Aeolus and Bottlehead Crack, and for a while they were hanging. Now that the Aeolus is fully burned in, the HD650 are back in their storage case, and won't be coming out for the a while. The Aeolus, still continue to impress, every time I put them on. I am now looking for an Atticus, as I have to have the closed back version of this driver as well.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #1,514 of 6,719
Just received my Aeolus from zeppelin & co after waiting for a month!

It's really expensive but handcrafted headphone really is top notch.
Comes with a balance and 3/4 inch cable, hard pelican case, headband cushion, and lastly a headphone stand.

Using it with smsl su 8 plus thx aaa 789 balance out.

The whole set just screams quality.

Jul 30, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #1,515 of 6,719
Just received my Aeolus from zeppelin & co after waiting for a month!

It's really expensive but handcrafted headphone really is top notch.
Comes with a balance and 3/4 inch cable, hard pelican case, headband cushion, and lastly a headphone stand.

Using it with smsl su 8 plus thx aaa 789 balance out.

The whole set just screams quality.
Nice! Would love to see the headphone stand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back