ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Feb 22, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #691 of 6,751

I have mine with the pilot pad, fits great and distributes the pressure evenly

I have a Pilot Pad on my ZMF Ori, which is based on a Fostex frame. Because these shipped w/PP installed, there is no strap under the headband (not necessary w/PP there). Now this big, relatively heavy headphone is one of the most comfortable I've ever worn.

IMO, get the Pilot Pad. That Aeolus is killer-beautiful and sounds terrific...it's well worth the add'l investment.

Feb 22, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #692 of 6,751
You literally just made me, freak out! You got me wishing i would have waited . . .or maybe i need 2 :o2smile: I actually think the Sapele is my favorite wood, so far.

I'd never seen sapele before handling my friend's Aeolus. That is a seriously pretty wood. Put some light on it & those highlights will come right at you.

Feb 22, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #694 of 6,751
I just saw, a video with the new burl wood on the Eikon and they look stunning. I keep going back and forth in my head between the Eikon and Auteur as my next purchase, but if I could afford a pair right now, the Eikon in the new burl wood, would be my choice.

At the ZMF booth at CanJam (home of wood AND headphone obsessives), I saw 2 striking examples of camphor burl Eikons. One was a rather light camphor example (interesting wood that runs from rather light w/little color variation, to less light + light/medium color bands). On this Eikon the burl sections (large) were very pale tan against the slightly darker base tan shade. Never saw anything like that. Pretty!

Then Bevin showed me another Eikon with an uncommon type of camphor burn on dramatic light-to-medium-dark gradations. The burl plus the color variation made this wood "pop" like crazy. Very pretty wood.

All the ZMF models I've tried and/or own manage to sound just as good as they look (no easy trick).

Feb 25, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #695 of 6,751
I'm definitely excited to get my Aeolus and compare them to my other headphones. The build quality looks a lot better than my 2013 LCD-2 and I wonder if the Aeolus will sound better overall. Right now I'm enjoying some Chevelle on the K7XX, powered by the Lyr 3. It is a very serious combo for right now.

Feb 25, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #696 of 6,751
We should get a poll going to see how many times people have checked the Aeolus order status sheet. I think for me I've checked around 150 times. I surely can't be alone... right?

Feb 25, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #697 of 6,751
We should get a poll going to see how many times people have checked the Aeolus order status sheet. I think for me I've checked around 150 times. I surely can't be alone... right?
You are not alone! :o2smile: I absolutely love that ZMF does this. Very cool to see the progress, without having to email.

Feb 26, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #701 of 6,751
so you have the pilot pad around the headstrap underneath the headband?
I removed the stock one & placed it over the metal headband (without the inner strap). I fell asleep with ‘em on my noggin (field tested & approved).
3D11FCA0-8C06-4EE2-9BD0-92A88FE5C3A1.jpeg

Feb 26, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #702 of 6,751
i really can't find flaws in aeolus' sound signature. i wonder what verite will sound...
the more i listen the more i love it. never happened with at least 30 hps.....

Feb 26, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #703 of 6,751
I'm definitely excited to get my Aeolus and compare them to my other headphones. The build quality looks a lot better than my 2013 LCD-2 and I wonder if the Aeolus will sound better overall. Right now I'm enjoying some Chevelle on the K7XX, powered by the Lyr 3. It is a very serious combo for right now.
They’ll deffo sound better than your LCD-2. Looking at your headphone list they’ll be comparable to your HD650. About the same resolution but more of an impactful sound. Not as smooth as the HD650 but for those who wanted a HD650 alternative with more bass it’s the nearest you’ll get!

They sound so dynamic and lively I prefer them over my LCD-4.

Feb 26, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #704 of 6,751
i really can't find flaws in aeolus' sound signature. i wonder what verite will sound...
the more i listen the more i love it. never happened with at least 30 hps.....

I’m having a similar experience...& I have about 1/2 dozen HPs (AFOs, HD 6XX, Momentum 2, Magister Pro, TR X00, GW100)...all of which are excellent in their own right. I think the Aeolus has an organic SQ or analog warmth/edge...(vinyl dynamics without the surface noises).
Currently listening to this album...oh what fun the Aeolus brings to the HP table!
50A01C1E-21E1-4C6B-B0A4-DE28797901CF.png

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #705 of 6,751
My Aeolus arrive Friday. I hope the three month wait is worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back