ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Feb 17, 2019 at 6:02 AM Post #661 of 6,741
I received my pair today. It’s similar in design & build to my mahogany Fostex TR X00. It feels far lighter than I expected.

Disclaimer: I think descriptions are subjective as you have to hear the gear & then draw your own SQ conclusions.

I’ll offer my subjective comparisons to a couple pair of open cans that I own. I have HD 6XXs...I think the Aeolus sounds a shade more natural, vibrant & lively. The HD 6XXs sounds clinical &/or neutral by comparison. I have a pair of Aeon Flow Open HPs; I don’t know that I can directly compare ‘em ‘cause the AFOs are not dynamic HPs. So the AFOs do what planars do really well...& the Aeolus do what dynamics do really well. I can offer that the Aeolus HP sounds ‘more open’ than the AFOs.

Listening to Cinematic Orchestra’s Live @ The Royal Albert Hall...the SQ is startling...the musical presence is remarkable...in a you’re there...kind of way. The Aeolus seemingly have that semi-external (playing outside of your head) thing going for them.

My biggest gripe is the headband fitment. I wear a size 7 3/4 hat...I have to wear the Aeolus HPs at full extension. I removed the inner leather strap...it bothered the topside of my head...the resting pressure was notable. I don’t have this issue with my other cans. I may get the ZMF Pilot Pad if it fits the Aeolus...with the intent to aid in comfort. Or continue to make adjustments to see if I can reduce the topside pressure.

Equipment used: Fiio M9 > Woo Audio WA8

Wow! The grain on that pair is stunning.

Feb 19, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #663 of 6,741
as i am waitinf for my OTL to be made, i am using schiit stack modi3+magni3 and i am astonished by the way aeolus sounds even with cheap fi gear.
my previous setup was audiolab m dac --> lake people g100 fe that had way more power to output. very different sound signatures, the former is warmer, a little less detailed but still resolving and smooth..the latter had plenty of detail, sometimes too much at the point that i got almost destracted by all that microdetail on the tracks.
aeolus is in any case an experience every audiophile should have sooner or later, thank you @zach915m and his crew.
verite is on the way... it will be a hell of a showdown!

Feb 19, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #664 of 6,741
Yes...what you said:). I’ve briefly put the Aeolus thru the paces with all that I own & it's been an astoundingly immersive listening experience [WA8 Eclispe tube amp, Head Amp Gilmore Lite mk2, naim Atom, Oppo UDP-205, VorzAMPpure II +]. My fave combo is with the Woo Audio tube amp; but it plays nice with everything and there’s seemingly no bottom end with these...you’ll burst your ear drums before any limiting SQ factors are revealed.

Feb 19, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #665 of 6,741
as i am waitinf for my OTL to be made, i am using schiit stack modi3+magni3 and i am astonished by the way aeolus sounds even with cheap fi gear.
my previous setup was audiolab m dac --> lake people g100 fe that had way more power to output. very different sound signatures, the former is warmer, a little less detailed but still resolving and smooth..the latter had plenty of detail, sometimes too much at the point that i got almost destracted by all that microdetail on the tracks.
aeolus is in any case an experience every audiophile should have sooner or later, thank you @zach915m and his crew.
verite is on the way... it will be a hell of a showdown!

Yes...what you said:). I’ve briefly put the Aeolus thru the paces with all that I own & it's been an astoundingly immersive listening experience [WA8 Eclispe tube amp, Head Amp Gilmore Lite mk2, naim Atom, Oppo UDP-205, VorzAMPpure II +]. My fave combo is with the Woo Audio tube amp; but it plays nice with everything and there’s seemingly no bottom end with these...you’ll burst your ear drums before any limiting SQ factors are revealed.

You guys are making the wait unbearable!!!! Gosh I wish I would've pre-ordered them a little bit quicker! Hopefully only a week or so to go on my wait! :)

Feb 20, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #667 of 6,741
Zircote wood looks fantastic in person as well.

2C2FB2D5-08D8-447D-8CAD-BD56F8169377.jpeg

Feb 21, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #669 of 6,741
Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #670 of 6,741
Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #671 of 6,741
@ lentoviolento - I keep looking at that pic, and I can get lost in the patterns of the grain, over and over and freakin love this! I build custom fly rods, and use wood like this for the reel seats, and that is what really makes a fly rod, pop (look amazing). I love love love, when the wood cups look like that! Nice work Zach! You guys keep getting me more excited about getting my pair, a little more everyday! Please keep posting pictures :o2smile:

Feb 22, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #674 of 6,741
Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #675 of 6,741
I have a stock Aeolus (currently in sanding and finishing)....will add an Eikon or Auteur later this year. Still tottering which way I want to go. I find ALL of ZMF headphones to be beautiful. (I think Manchurian Ash was my fave so far). And that's just from photos.

Bern

Users who are viewing this thread

Back