ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Nov 19, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #3,286 of 6,751
PXL_20201118_221628097.jpgPXL_20201118_221502367.jpgPXL_20201118_221436629.jpg

I have these now :) can I join the club ?

You're in the club!!! If you like the Aeolus as much as many of the rest of the members, you may have a hard time ever leaving.

In any case, they look fantastic. I like the darker wood with stainless grill hardware, that's a really nice combination. I have the black grill and Sapele version, and I always think the lighter colored grills highlight the pattern of the metal better. The black grill is more stealth.

Nov 19, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #3,287 of 6,751
You're in the club!!! If you like the Aeolus as much as many of the rest of the members, you may have a hard time ever leaving.

In any case, they look fantastic. I like the darker wood with stainless grill hardware, that's a really nice combination. I have the black grill and Sapele version, and I always think the lighter colored grills highlight the pattern of the metal better. The black grill is more stealth.

I actually love the stock Sapele and black grill combo visually as well. These are African blackwood with stainless and mag frame. Could not resist, lambskin pilot pad also purchased.

Nov 19, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #3,288 of 6,751
Does Aeolus have more treble detail and extension/less roll off than atticus ?

Nov 19, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #3,289 of 6,751
Does Aeolus have more treble detail and extension/less roll off than atticus ?

Yes, it's a more open, airy sounding headphone. Details are more highlighted and treble is definitely more highlighted with the Verite pads.

Nov 19, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #3,290 of 6,751
This makes me think I would love the empy as I am looking for something that is a great blending of Atticus and HD800S.

I think its down to Aeolus, Empy or Arya.
For the money, now owning the Aeolus for around 2 years, if it were “me”, it’s the Aeolus by a large margin. I believe I own 13,14 or maybe 15 pairs of headphones (I don’t remember) and all of them have become literally obsolete except for the Aeolus. It still blows my mind how great these sound no matter the cost. These are the steal of the century.
These do everything I’m looking for in a HP. They’re smooth but not recessed, bass hits it right on the nose where they are punchy, can dig deep dependent on the track and pretty fast. They have a wonderful fullness that’s just surrounds your senses, the highs are balanced perfectly with just enough sparkle and the soundstage is spot on. I can go on and on but bottom line, they hit every note.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #3,291 of 6,751
For the money, now owning the Aeolus for around 2 years, if it were “me”, it’s the Aeolus by a large margin. I believe I own 13,14 or maybe 15 pairs of headphones (I don’t remember) and all of them have become literally obsolete except for the Aeolus. It still blows my mind how great these sound no matter the cost. These are the steal of the century.
These do everything I’m looking for in a HP. They’re smooth but not recessed, bass hits it right on the nose where they are punchy, can dig deep dependent on the track and pretty fast. They have a wonderful fullness that’s just surrounds your senses, the highs are balanced perfectly with just enough sparkle and the soundstage is spot on. I can go on and on but bottom line, they hit every note.

How does it compare to your other headphones ? Have you heard atticus, empyor arya ?

Nov 20, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #3,292 of 6,751
Newbie Impressions

Hi everyone, newbie here on this forum, although I’ve been lurking for information here for quite a while now, so thanks to all the people sharing and giving me so much insight in helping me along the way to head-fi nirvana.

After about a 10 week wait I took delivery of the Aeolus 4 days ago, LTD Cocobolo, with copper grill and rod (hoping they will get a nice patina over time). Beautifully crafted, luxurious feel, and definite TOTL endgame territory for me.

Quick background. I have been a loyal HD650 owner since they were first introduced (yes I’m up there in age), with minimal upgrades over the years such as pads and a Stefan AudioArt E-Series cable that helped lift the veil. Since I am always on the go I’ve been a fan of iFi products with the Burr Brown sound signature, and have been running my HD650 through various models such as the iFi xDSD, Zen Dac, and more recently the new Micro iDSD Signature. I also own a pair of 64Audio U12t’s which are my go to when on the move around town. I also have the SMSL SP200 amp, but found my iDSD Signature powerful enough to drive both cans and haven’t been using it too much. Since the iFi products have the 4.4mm balanced jack, my Aeolus standard cable and 2 strand Lektrik cable is using a balanced 4.4 pentaconn.

After a few days of burn-in, I am truly impressed and in love with the Aeolus (sorry it's cliche). Comparing it with the HD650 it has a much more velvety, rich, and fuller sound that maintains amazing detail, and going back to the HD650 I find it almost tinny and thin sounding. (Sorry, I’m not quite the one for fancy words to describe what I hear.)

I wanted to do a quick experiment to confirm what my ears were hearing in an unbiased way, and I decided to call on my mom. Yes you heard right, my mom.

For context, my mom who’s not a head-fi person at all has a doctorate in music, and has been conducting for choirs and orchestras all her life, so has an extremely musically trained ear. I decided to have her do a blind test for me since I knew it would definitely be unbiased.

I gave her the HD650 first, and she sat there enjoying it a lot since my gear is much more hi-fidelity than anything she uses or owns (she’s 76 yrs old!). Then I switched the headphones over to the Aeolus, and she just sat there for a long time without saying a word. Deep inside I was getting concerned she would prefer the first pair more, but I gave her more time and finally asked her which one she liked. Without any hesitation she put her hands on the Aeolus and said hands down these are much better, the ZMF’s were night and day. The word(s) she used was “incredible depth” compared to the other ones (HD650’s). Always feels good to get mom's blessing!

Moral of the story, mom is always right! 😊

I’m expected to receive the iFi Zen CAN Signature 6XX Amp soon, and will be curious if that will up the ante for my HD650’s giving them a bit more of a reason to not be left collecting dust. They’ve been a faithful pair of cans, so doing anything to try and keep them in the game.

Few pics for everyone's enjoyment...

n1uPnbH.jpg

7FJwufj.jpg

BqXqdju.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #3,293 of 6,751
Newbie Impressions

Hi everyone, newbie here on this forum, although I’ve been lurking for information here for quite a while now, so thanks to all the people sharing and giving me so much insight in helping me along the way to head-fi nirvana.

After about a 10 week wait I took delivery of the Aeolus 4 days ago, LTD Cocobolo, with copper grill and rod (hoping they will get a nice patina over time). Beautifully crafted, luxurious feel, and definite TOTL endgame territory for me.

Quick background. I have been a loyal HD650 owner since they were first introduced (yes I’m up there in age), with minimal upgrades over the years such as pads and a Stefan AudioArt E-Series cable that helped lift the veil. Since I am always on the go I’ve been a fan of iFi products with the Burr Brown sound signature, and have been running my HD650 through various models such as the iFi xDSD, Zen Dac, and more recently the new Micro iDSD Signature. I also own a pair of 64Audio U12t’s which are my go to when on the move around town. I also have the SMSL SP200 amp, but found my iDSD Signature powerful enough to drive both cans and haven’t been using it too much. Since the iFi products have the 4.4mm balanced jack, my Aeolus standard cable and 2 strand Lektrik cable is using a balanced 4.4 pentaconn.

After a few days of burn-in, I am truly impressed and in love with the Aeolus (sorry it's cliche). Comparing it with the HD650 it has a much more velvety, rich, and fuller sound that maintains amazing detail, and going back to the HD650 I find it almost tinny and thin sounding. (Sorry, I’m not quite the one for fancy words to describe what I hear.)

I wanted to do a quick experiment to confirm what my ears were hearing in an unbiased way, and I decided to call on my mom. Yes you heard right, my mom.

For context, my mom who’s not a head-fi person at all has a doctorate in music, and has been conducting for choirs and orchestras all her life, so has an extremely musically trained ear. I decided to have her do a blind test for me since I knew it would definitely be unbiased.

I gave her the HD650 first, and she sat there enjoying it a lot since my gear is much more hi-fidelity than anything she uses or owns (she’s 76 yrs old!). Then I switched the headphones over to the Aeolus, and she just sat there for a long time without saying a word. Deep inside I was getting concerned she would prefer the first pair more, but I gave her more time and finally asked her which one she liked. Without any hesitation she put her hands on the Aeolus and said hands down these are much better, the ZMF’s were night and day. The word(s) she used was “incredible depth” compared to the other ones (HD650’s). Always feels good to get mom's blessing!

I’m expected to receive the iFi Zen CAN Signature 6XX Amp soon, and wil be curious if that will up the ante for my HD650’s giving them a bit more of a reason to not be left collecting dust. They’ve been a faithful pair of cans, so doing anything to try and keep them in the game.

n1uPnbH.jpg

7FJwufj.jpg

BqXqdju.jpg
Great story and a beautiful pair!

I wouldn't discount the 650 though. It's charms are definitely more subtle, but those mids rarely fail to entrance me.

The Aeolus (especially with the stock pads) are more "flashy" if you will...but not a flash in the pan. The bass in particular is a bit more fun, but I don't get tired of the sound, especially with my favorite pads (Universe suede).

I admit I listen to the Aeolus much more than the 650, but it doesn't make them a bad headphone, especially for the price (not that you were saying that of course). Different preferences, different music, different chain will help me decide which headphone I'd reach for, but both are damn good IMO.

Congrats though, you definitely have some wonderful listening ahead of you!

Nov 20, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #3,294 of 6,751
They’re smooth but not recessed, bass hits it right on the nose where they are punchy, can dig deep dependent on the track and pretty fast. They have a wonderful fullness that’s just surrounds your senses, the highs are balanced perfectly with just enough sparkle and the soundstage is spot on. I can go on and on but bottom line, they hit every note.

what he said!!

Nov 20, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #3,295 of 6,751
Newbie Impressions

I’m expected to receive the iFi Zen CAN Signature 6XX Amp soon, and will be curious if that will up the ante for my HD650’s giving them a bit more of a reason to not be left collecting dust. They’ve been a faithful pair of cans, so doing anything to try and keep them in the game.

n1uPnbH.jpg

7FJwufj.jpg

BqXqdju.jpg

3 points:
  • Your Aeolus is beautiful
  • If this is your "Newbie Post," I need to read more of your posts. Your comparison & descriptions are very interesting
  • And I would love to talk to your mom! She sounds like a fascinating person (I'm a big fan/lover of choral music, from the 12th century right up to yesterday).
Over the years I exposed several musicians/music professionals to high end audio--my big living room systems years ago; and more recently, my headphone system. Musicians are notorious for not caring much about audio. And that's understandable. They're far more concerned with playing/producing music in real time than consuming it on audio gear.

But headphones are more intimate, enveloping. There's no room to consider, no big speakers to look at & be influenced by. Even a beautiful headphone like the Aeolus is out of one's sight while listening, which ironically makes it easier to focus. So in my experience, musicians/music pros will often pay attention to a good headphone system.

I think your mother's hearing & music listening skills must be very highly evolved--and she shows good taste in headphones!

PS: I have an extensively/expertly modded HD650 (JAR650 by Jupiter Audio Research)--I greatly admire its sound, also that of the stock HD650. It may not be as exciting/thrilling as the Aeolus (few equal the Aeolus in those categories), but it is very accurate & well-voiced. And there is approximate similarity in the tonality/voicing of the HD650 & Aeolus.

Nov 20, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #3,296 of 6,751
Great story and a beautiful pair!

I wouldn't discount the 650 though. It's charms are definitely more subtle, but those mids rarely fail to entrance me.

The Aeolus (especially with the stock pads) are more "flashy" if you will...but not a flash in the pan. The bass in particular is a bit more fun, but I don't get tired of the sound, especially with my favorite pads (Universe suede).

I admit I listen to the Aeolus much more than the 650, but it doesn't make them a bad headphone, especially for the price (not that you were saying that of course). Different preferences, different music, different chain will help me decide which headphone I'd reach for, but both are damn good IMO.

Congrats though, you definitely have some wonderful listening ahead of you!

Definitely won't discount the 650, and that's why I specifically acquired the iFi Zen CAN Signature 6XX Amp hoping to give it some new life as I do still enjoy them a lot. I would say my initial impressions were definitely more out of an initial listening "shock" that there would be something I would or could be better than the 650's that I loved all this time.

I had contemplated for a long time on pairing the 650 up with the Bottlehead Crack, but after discovering the existence of the ZMF's and finding that because of the pandemic I'm literally glued to my headphones all day, it would be worth the money to take the plunge. Plus being an artist by trade, I really found the appeal of something hand crafted with quality materials worth the investment. Even though other big brands have beautifully crafted headphones, there's still something about a piece that is hand crafted with premium leather, wood and metals, that makes it that much more special and personal. I liken it to owning a Pagani over a Lambo (I don't own either 😂). Both being spectacular supercars with their own pros and cons, but something about the Pagani being more tailored with handcrafted interiors and artful designs is more satisfying and lasting to me.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #3,297 of 6,751
Definitely won't discount the 650, and that's why I specifically acquired the iFi Zen CAN Signature 6XX Amp hoping to give it some new life as I do still enjoy them a lot. I would say my initial impressions were definitely more out of an initial listening "shock" that there would be something I would or could be better than the 650's that I loved all this time.

I had contemplated for a long time on pairing the 650 up with the Bottlehead Crack, but after discovering the existence of the ZMF's and finding that because of the pandemic I'm literally glued to my headphones all day, it would be worth the money to take the plunge. Plus being an artist by trade, I really found the appeal of something hand crafted with quality materials worth the investment. Even though other big brands have beautifully crafted headphones, there's still something about a piece that is hand crafted with premium leather, wood and metals, that makes it that much more special and personal. I liken it to owning a Pagani over a Lambo (I don't own either 😂). Both being spectacular supercars with their own pros and cons, but something about the Pagani being more tailored with handcrafted interiors and artful designs is more satisfying and lasting to me.

A nice thing about the HD650 & any of the ZMF dynamics: any high impedance source that makes one sound good, will almost certainly make the other sound good (ie, OTL or SS high impedance).

Nov 20, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #3,298 of 6,751
For those who compared them.. how do aeolus mids compare to atticus and empyrean mids?

Nov 23, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #3,300 of 6,751
Hi guys. I’m considering getting the Aeolus but looking for some advice. Like many others, I started this hobby with the Hd650 almost 15 years ago. My next big upgrade was the Massdrop THX-00 when it launched. More recently having come into some money I splurged on the HD800S and a used Focal Elear.

The Elear and HD800S are my two most used headphones now. I can’t go back to the HD650 anymore, it sounds congested. However both are a bit fatiguing and I’m wondering if the Aeolus is a good replacement for when I want that dark and lush sound. It’s not cheap though and I was wondering if it was sufficiently different from the THX-00 and the Focal to justify the cost?

I don’t listen with EQ if that’s any help.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back