ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Nov 16, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #3,256 of 6,737
Yeah, that's about my price range for amps and DACs. I prefer to spend more on the headphones and am satisfied with cheaper amps and DACs.

Update for all the friendly folks who answered my questions earlier: I finished the Bottlehead Crack today and am listening to some tunes now. I would probably get banned if i posted all the McMahon gifs that still only scratch the surface of what I'm feeling right now, this combo is awesome! I'm very glad I chose the Crack. I just want to listen to all the songs in my library and see what the tube magic does to them. The satisfaction of building the kit by myself was also a big part of the joy of completing the amp. Thanks everyone for the advice!

To answer your second question - I have a JDS Labs Atom Amp and Atom DAC stack, plus a JDS Labs OL DAC arriving tomorrow which i'll pair with my newly finished Bottlehead Crack. One solid state amp and one tube amp. The Crack may change my mind about the budget for amps and DACs.
Thanks for respond. Why would you want OL DAC when you can Atom DAC rca out to Bottlehead Crack ?
So in conclusion, with your Aeolous you paired with JDS Lab Atom Amp and Atom DAC stack via stock cable using Youtube and Spotify for your music listening ? You tested this combination with both compressed platform right ?

Nov 16, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #3,257 of 6,737
I just have to say it again: I'm so happy with my Aeolus, it's amazing!
For me, these Cans do everything right.
:)
I'm considering buying the Feliks Audio Elise, has anyone ever heard the Aeolus on it, and can I tell me anything about it?

Nov 16, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #3,258 of 6,737
Why would you want OL DAC when you can Atom DAC rca out to Bottlehead Crack ?
The Atom DAC has one set of RCA outs - I didn't want to use only the Atom DAC and have to switch RCA cables between the Crack and the Atom amp when I wanted to switch amps. I still use my E-MU Teaks plugged into the Atom Amp / DAC for gaming. It has a ModMic attached, so I also use it for stuff like Discord and in game voice chat. In short, convenience is why I got another DAC. I can switch audio output to the Teaks (Atom amp) or to the Aeolus (Crack) with a few clicks on the computer.

I could have gotten another Atom DAC but I emailed JDS Labs asking about noticeable differences between the Atom and OL DACs and got an answer that the differences are not audible. Yes, measurements like THD and dynamic range are different; I still don't really mind as long as the sound is the same to my ears. The aesthetic of having something new on my desk was enough to push me to get the OL DAC. In addition, you can engrave a message or image on your OL DAC for free, which is a little cool something the OL DAC has over the Atom. Side note - JDS Labs' customer service and response time is great. My initial email was answered in less than 15 minutes!
with your Aeolous you paired with JDS Lab Atom Amp and Atom DAC stack via stock cable using Youtube and Spotify for your music listening ?
Yes, that is correct. I have listened to mainly my own FLAC files in Foobar2000 but have also listened to random things on YouTube as well as the free version of Spotify. However, now that the Crack is up and running, I'm listening to music on the Crack.
You tested this combination with both compressed platform right ?
I wouldn't say I tested anything, rather I just listened to things.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #3,259 of 6,737
The Atom DAC has one set of RCA outs - I didn't want to use only the Atom DAC and have to switch RCA cables between the Crack and the Atom amp when I wanted to switch amps. I still use my E-MU Teaks plugged into the Atom Amp / DAC for gaming. It has a ModMic attached, so I also use it for stuff like Discord and in game voice chat. In short, convenience is why I got another DAC. I can switch audio output to the Teaks (Atom amp) or to the Aeolus (Crack) with a few clicks on the computer.

I could have gotten another Atom DAC but I emailed JDS Labs asking about noticeable differences between the Atom and OL DACs and got an answer that the differences are not audible. Yes, measurements like THD and dynamic range are different; I still don't really mind as long as the sound is the same to my ears. The aesthetic of having something new on my desk was enough to push me to get the OL DAC. In addition, you can engrave a message or image on your OL DAC for free, which is a little cool something the OL DAC has over the Atom. Side note - JDS Labs' customer service and response time is great. My initial email was answered in less than 15 minutes!

Yes, that is correct. I have listened to mainly my own FLAC files in Foobar2000 but have also listened to random things on YouTube as well as the free version of Spotify. However, now that the Crack is up and running, I'm listening to music on the Crack.

I wouldn't say I tested anything, rather I just listened to things.
By the way, I do that as well for all my headphones in fact via Youtube, Spotify and Foobar FLAC files which am going to Tidal soon. So with the Aelous with the Bottle Crack Tube Amp via YouTube and Spotify, also sound pretty good and forgiving with compressed recording just as with your solid state JDS Atom along with your OL DAC and Atom DAC ? So which means you have also try this combo Aelous + Crack+ OL DAC via Spotify and Youtube ?

Testing means also listening for pure enjoyment. Not necessary methodical basis and direct A/B testing. So interested in overall impression only.

Nov 16, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #3,260 of 6,737
By the way, I do that as well for all my headphones in fact via Youtube, Spotify and Foobar FLAC files which am going to Tidal soon. So with the Aelous with the Bottle Crack Tube Amp via YouTube and Spotify, also sound pretty good and forgiving with compressed recording just as with your solid state JDS Atom along with your OL DAC and Atom DAC ? So which means you have also try this combo Aelous + Crack+ OL DAC via Spotify and Youtube ?

Testing means also listening for pure enjoyment. Not necessary methodical basis and direct A/B testing. So interested in overall impression only.

How many times does one demand a A/B test after the responder provided his impression?
The answer is Zero

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #3,261 of 6,737
So with the Aelous with the Bottle Crack Tube Amp via YouTube and Spotify, also sound pretty good and forgiving with compressed recording just as with your solid state JDS Atom along with your OL DAC and Atom DAC ?
Yep
So which means you have also try this combo Aelous + Crack+ OL DAC via Spotify and Youtube ?
Also yep

Nov 18, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #3,263 of 6,737
What do you mean ? You mean on this thread ? Its 1 actually
I believe what kkrazik (and he may correct me if I am wrong) is saying, and I am giving in to a temptation that I've had for several days to state it more plainly, is that it is annoying to essentially keep asking the same question repeatedly after receiving multiple answers. And I realize motivations and resources differ for everyone in this hobby (and 99% of people would think we are all nuts anyway), but I keep wondering why, if lower resolution sources like Spotify and YouTube are so important to you, spend $1200 (or more) on an Aeolus? (To be candid, I'm retired on a fixed income and $1200 is a huge amount of money to me; although I was attempting to save for an Aeolus, I likely would never have gotten one without the $1200 stimulus check I got in the spring. I realize it's not a lot of money to many here.)

Nov 18, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #3,264 of 6,737
I believe what kkrazik (and he may correct me if I am wrong) is saying, and I am giving in to a temptation that I've had for several days to state it more plainly, is that it is annoying to essentially keep asking the same question repeatedly after receiving multiple answers. And I realize motivations and resources differ for everyone in this hobby (and 99% of people would think we are all nuts anyway), but I keep wondering why, if lower resolution sources like Spotify and YouTube are so important to you, spend $1200 (or more) on an Aeolus? (To be candid, I'm retired on a fixed income and $1200 is a huge amount of money to me; although I was attempting to save for an Aeolus, I likely would never have gotten one without the $1200 stimulus check I got in the spring. I realize it's not a lot of money to many here.)
Answer is very simple. Curiosity and there are benefits to Spotify and Youtube. They have 2 aspects that are better than the rest. Its not annoying when its a different context to multiple people not just one individual.

Nov 18, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #3,265 of 6,737
It is annoying when someone answers your question and then you ask them basically the same question again. Also when multiple people have given essentially the same answer but you persist on asking the same question.

Spotify and Youtube sound good with Aeolus as long as you have a reasonably good DAC and amp. A phone or laptop output likely won't cut it, but something like an Audioquest Dragonfly or Schiit Fulla 3 will work fine. If you have something even better than that, then you're set.

Nov 18, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #3,266 of 6,737
I want something with the warmth, full mids and powerful low end of the atticus but more open, airy and detailed like the 800S.

Should I consider aeolus?

Nov 18, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #3,267 of 6,737
It is annoying when someone answers your question and then you ask them basically the same question again. Also when multiple people have given essentially the same answer but you persist on asking the same question.

Spotify and Youtube sound good with Aeolus as long as you have a reasonably good DAC and amp. A phone or laptop output likely won't cut it, but something like an Audioquest Dragonfly or Schiit Fulla 3 will work fine. If you have something even better than that, then you're set.
Not really.

Nov 18, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #3,269 of 6,737
Spot on @Marlowe thank you for explaining it in very plain terms.

Nov 18, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #3,270 of 6,737
I want something with the warmth, full mids and powerful low end of the atticus but more open, airy and detailed like the 800S.

Should I consider aeolus?

Yes.

Wait, make that HELL, YES.

If you get an Aeolus, make sure to have the perforated universe suede pads (my favorite)--as well as the Verite/lambskin pads. These give rather different sonic views of the basic Aeolus sound, with the Verite bringing out more air & detail.

PS: As @Hifiearspeakers says in his post above, the VO indeed would be a terrific option for you. It's easily the most detailed & resolving of all the ZMF dynamics, yet it still has that music-first, ear-friendly ZMF "house sound." I'm using the lambskin perforated universe pads & loving that sound. But...(there's always a "but")...it's twice the price of an Aeolus.

I'm lucky enough to have both & thus not have to choose. The similarities/differences in sound of these 2 superior headphones is truly a fascinating topic. I've compared them in past & will soon do so again...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back