ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Nov 18, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #3,271 of 6,751
Yes.

Wait, make that HELL, YES.

If you get an Aeolus, make sure to have the perforated universe suede pads (my favorite)--as well as the Verite/lambskin pads. These give rather different sonic views of the basic Aeolus sound, with the Verite bringing out more air & detail.

PS: As @Hifiearspeakers says in his post above, the VO indeed would be a terrific option for you. It's easily the most detailed & resolving of all the ZMF dynamics, yet it still has that music-first, ear-friendly ZMF "house sound." I'm using the lambskin perforated universe pads & loving that sound. But...(there's always a "but")...it's twice the price of an Aeolus.

I'm lucky enough to have both & thus not have to choose. The similarities/differences in sound of these 2 superior headphones is truly a fascinating topic. I've compared them in past & will soon do so again...

How do you like VO vs aeolus can you go into more depth on that comparison? Do the aeolus still have the richer more romantic mids and more powerful low end? I guess VO likely more neutral?

Have you heard verited closed?

Nov 18, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #3,272 of 6,751
How do you like VO vs aeolus can you go into more depth on that comparison? Do the aeolus still have the richer more romantic mids and more powerful low end? I guess VO likely more neutral?

Yes, I heard the VC. My problem w/it had nothing to do w/the VC's sound--which is extremely good. It may be the best closed back design I've ever heard. The problem was that most dynamic closed backs (and VC is quite dynamic) push my migraine & tinnitus. Open backs are far easier for me to listen to comfortably.

Re "Do the aeolus still have the richer more romantic mids and more powerful low end? I guess VO likely more neutral?" Yes & yes (though you can push an Aeolus pretty deep into neutrality by using Verite pads). Still, the nuances of Aeolus vs VO are little deeper than that. These drivers & wood earcup/enclosures are different...while the VO & Aeolus share that wonderful ZMF house sound, they do sound rather different (different flavors/profiles of musicality).

I'll post more on that soon. But for me, the bottom line is I want them both. Each one is TOTL in its own particular way IMO.

Nov 18, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #3,274 of 6,751
Side note: the ori and blackwood are out of stock for almost a year. Do they ever coming back?
Pretty sure that Zach said no on the planars not long ago.

Nov 18, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #3,275 of 6,751

I agree with @Pharmaboy the two headphones are different, with pad rolling you can make them sound a bit more similar but they are still far enough apart that I actually would prefer to keep both in my collection. Also, amp pairing with them for the best synergy in my opinion is a bit different as well. Both fantastic headphones. I can also give you more impressions in the near future and will be doing a full YouTube review comparison as well on my channel. www.youtube.com/marcellorostagni

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Nov 18, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #3,276 of 6,751
Here’s an excerpt from my review of the Empyrean.
Please keep in mind though, I own the Aeolus and dont own the Empyrean so that says a lot. The empyrean is more then double the ask so with that said, the Aeolus to me is a much better buy. I hate posting this in a way because it’s a glowing review of the Emp but I will not give mine up even if I bought the Emp. ZMF is my preferred sound (even though the Empyrean blew me away) and the Aeolus is the HP I enjoy the most from what Zach has produced.

-vs- ZMF Aeolus
Well Zach did it again. I was fortunate enough to have all 3 headphones (Aeolus, Verite, Empyrean) for our meet in the Phoenix area a few weeks back. I had very little head-time with the Verite, thus the reason the omission on a comparison. I liked the Aeolus so much that I never sent it back and just bought it outright. Sure, it's not new but it looks and sounds exactly like it was. If any headphone that I've heard or own that "could" compare to the Empyrean it would be this guy. I cannot or will not say I like the Aeolus more then the Empyrean because I don't. The Empyrean is that great of a headphone and it would be a disservice to say anything else so I'll just to leave it at that. Once again, the Empyrean just does everything right and better as they nailed it every and any which way you look. The Aeolus is a warmer sounding headphone with a much stronger mid bass bump which is a ZMF trademark. The sub bass extends down low as the mid bass bump is toned down versus it's closed back brother the Atticus. The Atticus always had great sub bass but that mid bass hump just overshadowed it so you didn't have the opportunity to hear it as well as the Aeolus. The Empyrean definitely has more sparkle up top. The Aeolus is not rolled off per say but is smooth and relaxed. Mids are quite similar and both steal the show. Aeolus still has a plethora of detail as you can hear every little intricacy in the music but the Empyreans extra energy up top gives the impression of more air and space. The soundstage isn't small on the Aeoluis and is very good in both width and depth, but the Empyrean does it better. Bottom line, both are great headphones and would be excellent compliments to each other. But when push comes to shove, the Empyrean stays with me all day long as it IS the sound signature I'm looking for.

This makes me think I would love the empy as I am looking for something that is a great blending of Atticus and HD800S.

I think its down to Aeolus, Empy or Arya.

Nov 18, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #3,277 of 6,751

Ohhh, have not heard that. Maybe a new all in-house planar on the way!? Honestly, an all ZMF planar is about the only headphone I would really buy right now. Nothing else really strikes me as something I really want. Lots I would like to listen to, just not enough to actually buy.

Nov 18, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #3,278 of 6,751

I think Zach actually said its not out of the realm of possibility but he has no immediate plans for it.

Guess hes too busy with his current headphones!

Nov 18, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #3,279 of 6,751
I think Zach actually said its not out of the realm of possibility but he has no immediate plans for it.

Guess hes too busy with his current headphones!
I meant the Fostex planar mods like Ori that have not been available for sale for a long time.. I have no idea, and did not mean to comment, about any ZMF designed planar. Sorry if I was unclear.

Nov 18, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #3,280 of 6,751
I meant the Fostex planar mods like Ori that have not been available for sale for a long time.. I have no idea, and did not mean to comment, about any ZMF designed planar. Sorry if I was unclear.

Ah got it. Sorry I misunderstood.

Nov 19, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #3,281 of 6,751
Can anyone commen thow Aeolus does on metal (Bands like Swans, Deftones, Tool, Black Sabbath)? I tested out the Aeolus and was so taken by how good the vocals sounded that I spent an hour in the shop just listening to singer/song writer stuff. But wanted to check how it does with metal music and modern pop before I sell off my 2 headphones to fund this purchase.

Nov 19, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #3,282 of 6,751
Can anyone commen thow Aeolus does on metal (Bands like Swans, Deftones, Tool, Black Sabbath)? I tested out the Aeolus and was so taken by how good the vocals sounded that I spent an hour in the shop just listening to singer/song writer stuff. But wanted to check how it does with metal music and modern pop before I sell off my 2 headphones to fund this purchase.

Aeolus kicks ass with metal, rock, and pop. Electric guitar and drums/cymbals sound awesome and very realistic. I definitely have more moments where I feel like i am listening to a live show than i have with any other HP. It’s not a “sluggish” sounding headphones by any means. The pad rolling allows you to further “tune” the sound signature to your preference (ie more punch or a flatter more intimate sound). You can definitely appreciate/notice the difference between a poor recording and a well mastered one, but the beauty of the Aeolus is that the enjoyment factor is always there. I love testing new tubes with RATM self titled album and Tool. I have the new Intervals album on repeat currently and it sounds amazing.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #3,283 of 6,751
Aeolus kicks ass with metal, rock, and pop. Electric guitar and drums/cymbals sound awesome and very realistic. I definitely have more moments where I feel like i am listening to a live show than i have with any other HP. It’s not a “sluggish” sounding headphones by any means. The pad rolling allows you to further “tune” the sound signature to your preference (ie more punch or a flatter more intimate sound). You can definitely appreciate/notice the difference between a poor recording and a well mastered one, but the beauty of the Aeolus is that the enjoyment factor is always there. I love testing new tubes with RATM self titled album and Tool. I have the new Intervals album on repeat currently and it sounds amazing.

That sounds excellent! Thanks for the input!

Nov 19, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #3,284 of 6,751
PXL_20201118_221628097.jpgPXL_20201118_221502367.jpgPXL_20201118_221436629.jpg

I have these now :) can I join the club ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back