ZiShan U1 HiFi USB DAC+AMP Thread

Would you buy the ZiShan U1?

• Total voters
Jul 29, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #91 of 196
Hi, Perhaps you can check if it is a voltage issue. It happended to me when I used the front usb connection of my computer. When connected at the back it worked fine.

Well that was unexpected. It worked! I just don't understand since I would think the U1 has its own battery and would be powered off that. What's even odd is that I initially connected the U1 to a powerd usb hub and wouldn't even think that it would be something due to not enough power. Still kinda bummed out that my Volumio raspberry pi doesn't recognize it. The sound quality is fantastic and really liking the "warmer" AK dac sound compared to Sabre dacs (just about all my sources are based off).

Jul 31, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #93 of 196
After 60 days of waiting, my zishan u1 finally arrived. Works well with the LG G7 Thinq and also with an Acer Travelmate Notebook with Windows 10. The sound is better than my Zishan z3. I am satisfied.

Interesting. I have a LG V35 and mines does NOT work in either, Hiby, Neutron or USB Audio player when USB exclusive mode is turned ON. Can you share what music app you're using and see if exclusive mode is enabled?

Aug 1, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #95 of 196
Did anyone managed to get DSD mode working on Android? On USB Audio Player Pro the native DSD gives me an error, only DoP works. On the Computer native DSD is no issue at all, I could even manage to play native DSD512, even the instructions from Ghost recommended to use DSD256 only.

Aug 5, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #96 of 196
Hi Guys, I bought U1 for mostly desktop use. It is very picky with usb ports. I managed to make it work only with one usb-2.0 port. Sound quality is exceptional in my opinion.

Btw, when it goes idle/sleep mode, I can't make it wake up again. Only solution is plug-off the usb cable. I tried to shortcut J1 but it didn't help. Anyone has similar problem? I'm using Linux operating system. If I make it work like regular desktop DAC that would be the best option for me otherwise it is going to be rather useless.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #97 of 196
Hi Guys, I bought U1 for mostly desktop use. It is very picky with usb ports. I managed to make it work only with one usb-2.0 port. Sound quality is exceptional in my opinion.

Btw, when it goes idle/sleep mode, I can't make it wake up again. Only solution is plug-off the usb cable. I tried to shortcut J1 but it didn't help. Anyone has similar problem? I'm using Linux operating system. If I make it work like regular desktop DAC that would be the best option for me otherwise it is going to be rather useless.

Perhaps it's the auto power off feature? On Linsoul store it has:

U1 will automatically turn off the operational amplifier when in lowest volume for over 5 minutes and will turn off after 20 minutes; it will turn on again when increasing volume

Have you tried turning up the volume after it powers off to see if it awakes again?

I'm not exactly sure what shorting the J1 pads do. Again taken from Linsoul:

Zishan likes to adopts the dual crystal oscillator and CPLD I2S solution to include I2S vital signal for players to DIY. With this configuration, players can directly connect J1 to make it a PC Version of USB Decoder

Sounds something like it will enable the dac to accept I2S signals.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #98 of 196
Perhaps it's the auto power off feature? On Linsoul store it has:

U1 will automatically turn off the operational amplifier when in lowest volume for over 5 minutes and will turn off after 20 minutes; it will turn on again when increasing volume

Have you tried turning up the volume after it powers off to see if it awakes again?
Yes, of course. U1 goes entirely off after some time (probably 5 minutes of non usage). Adjusting volume knob has no effect.

I'm not exactly sure what shorting the J1 pads do. Again taken from Linsoul:

Zishan likes to adopts the dual crystal oscillator and CPLD I2S solution to include I2S vital signal for players to DIY. With this configuration, players can directly connect J1 to make it a PC Version of USB Decoder

Sounds something like it will enable the dac to accept I2S signals.
I'm not a native English speaker but the description above is hard to get understand. The first message of thread from @IcedFrosty says "Just want to connect to the computer and do not want to toss the buyer to unplug the battery directly, short J1 can be used as a "desktop" USB decoder, U1 is at this time The USB DAC port takes power." which I interpreted as "if you want to use U1 as a desktop DAC, short J1, then it will take the power from DAC usb port".

Aug 7, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #99 of 196
Maybe helpful to post the settings I use to make it working on my Android Phones and on the Computers:

USB Audio Player Pro:
USB-Audio
Upsample: Off
Bit perfect mode: On
DSD mode: DoP (DSD over PCM) - Native DSD is not working for me but I assume DoP is good enough.
High quality DSD conv. - checked
Limit sample rate: off

Alternatively I use following setting if I use the Morphit extension for my Stax headphones:
Upsample: Off
Bit perfect mode: Off
DSD mode: DSD to PCM
High quality DSD conv. - checked
Limit sample rate: off

USB audio Tweaks:
all unchecked except:
Use USB DAC: checked
USB tweak 2: checked
Free USB bandwith...: checked
Buffer Size: 200 ms
USB device speed: Automatic

Foobar settings:
Amanero Driver: https://amanero.com/drivers/setupuac2.exe
Other plugins I use:
05.jpg

foobar Settings:
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg

Aug 9, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #101 of 196
tempotec sonata hd pro vs this for my laptop? there are lots of reviews about hd pro but there isnt a proper review of these?
Even though U1 looks like an experimental device, I like its build and sound quality (especially PCB and soldering quality is very high). And it contains high grade desktop dac components. If you can deal with firmware related problems, I'll recommend it for desktop usage. My sole problem is, I can't make it wake up again if it goes sleep/stand-by mode without re-plugging it. I didn't try it on Windows. I use Linux.

Aug 9, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #102 of 196
Even though U1 looks like an experimental device, I like its build and sound quality (especially PCB and soldering quality is very high). And it contains high grade desktop dac components. If you can deal with firmware related problems, I'll recommend it for desktop usage. My sole problem is, I can't make it wake up again if it goes sleep/stand-by mode without re-plugging it. I didn't try it on Windows. I use Linux.
The same thing happens with me, and using windows 10. What I do to try to solve this problem is to always keep a song paused in foobar 2000. I hear the clicks of the relays but it doesn't go into standby mode.

Aug 9, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #103 of 196
The same thing happens with me, and using windows 10. What I do to try to solve this problem is to always keep a song paused in foobar 2000. I hear the clicks of the relays but it doesn't go into standby mode.
I hope someone from Zishan designers come up with a sensible solution in order to properly use U1 as a desktop dac. And relay clicks, that's the another thing that may cause hassle for others. I got used to live with it.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #105 of 196
Thanks for the replies. I have bought sonata hd pro. Audiosciencereview guys recommending sonata hd pro so much. And measurements done so i will give it a shot.

This u1 have same dac amp as fiio k5 pro and k5 scored less than sonata hd pro?

If i had money i will bought both and will do a comparison but anyway. I think both will be really good anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back