ZiShan U1 HiFi USB DAC+AMP Thread

Would you buy the ZiShan U1?

• Total voters
Jul 12, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #61 of 196
the Z1 had an uber-annoying two mode operation when it automatically went to DAP mode once the USB cable had any momentary connection problem, then it only went back to DAC mode after a power cycle. Perhaps it is the case with the U1 that it goes to power-bank mode in lieu of a DAP mode? Does the user manual say anything comprehend-able about this? Just guessing.

Jul 12, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #62 of 196
the Z1 had an uber-annoying two mode operation when it automatically went to DAP mode once the USB cable had any momentary connection problem, then it only went back to DAC mode after a power cycle. Perhaps it is the case with the U1 that it goes to power-bank mode in lieu of a DAP mode? Does the user manual say anything comprehend-able about this? Just guessing.
It has 2 usb-c ports, one acts as a dac and another one is used for charging.

Jul 13, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #63 of 196
The ZiShan U1 it going to replace my old Fiio X3 and the Cypher Labs Piccolo. I had no issues to connect the U1 to my Xiaomi 10 and also my old Huawei Mate8 with an oder Mini-USB, I used a OTG-Cable as adapter.
The Huawei does not accept all players it runs on Android 8 but on the Xiaomi with Android 10 no issues at all, it will immediately recognized as USB-Sound Device. I successfully tested "USB Audio Player Pro" and "HiByMusic" Player on the Xiaomi, on the Huawei only "HiByMusic" is working.

I also opened the U1, the version is still the same as on the promotion pictures. The PCB is marked with U1_7. The Battery was fixed using a sticky double tape which left a lot marks on the components after removing.

I like the sound, compared to the X3, which is of course not a reference but so far my best portable DAC. The is sound more detailed - more crispy and the bass has more definition. At the beginning I felt it is a litte too analytic but I get used to it now and can hear more details compared to the X3.

It has two outputs High and Low, I use the High output for my B&O H6, the volume is unfortunately opposite operation to what is "normal" right turn is to lower the volume. I also would like to see a line out which it does not have. There are relays working inside making a noticeably noise when plug and unplug the U1, also when start and stop playing music.

It was a great buy and I am very satisfied. The cost here in China is 238 RMB which is about 34US$, as I am living in the same city as the manufacturer it only took 1 day to arrive. I think its amazing what can be done for this little money.

I am not related to the manufacturer, I am German living and working in China.

Some Pictures - Inside:
IMG_20200713_134711.jpg
IMG_20200713_134453.jpg
My actual config - Xiaomi 10 and B&O H6
IMG_20200714_095909.jpg
Also tried the old Huawei Mate8:
IMG_20200714_100102.jpg
My old gear: Fiio X3 and Cypher Labs Piccolo (prototype).
IMG_20200714_100406.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #64 of 196
I looked a little into the block diagram and also downloaded the manual for the AK4493, it seems the volume is controlled by the AK4493 itself there is no analog volume control, means according to the block diagram the LO output is a Line out, which bypasses the second amplification and capacitors but has still an adjustable volume. I will try later to connect my Picollo to the LO output and see if I can get some more out of this fine DAC.

Jul 15, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #65 of 196
Somehow I fail to believe you are no way related to manufacturer 😄 but what ever, I have already finally managed to get my t*rd U1 returned for a refund, never again I will buy anything from a manufacturer who tels me to understand and to toss and offers to send me pirated android software.

Jul 15, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #66 of 196
I am not related to the manufacturer, I know a few manufacturers of audio equipment here in China personally but never met with this guy.

The manufacturer very clear said it can not be guaranteed that the U1 is working with all devices. Which is understandable because the different Android phone manufacturers implemented the handling of USB devices differently it seems, as said my Xiaomi is recognizing it directly as USB-Audio device, my Huawei is just displaying the "headphone" icon in the status bar.
For the piracy stuff - It came up here because the threadstarter seems to have translated the Chinese text to English, this links should be only recognized by Chinese people. Can't find the links on the Ali-Express pages, only on Taobao in Chinese. He posted a link to a cracked version of ONE of the players - I have tried the player and it is working great, so I bought it. There are several reasons for this one: google is blocked here in China, unfortunately many software developers don't want this big market and don't support another platform to buy their software. I can use a VPN and have installed google services on my phone but most Chinese can't do that.

I don't understand people who expect and demand things that are not guaranteed, the manufacturer also told me that he can not guarantee it will work with my Xiaomi so I bought it knowing that I will have no warranty for this:

"Please note that there are many Android phone models and system versions There are many, not necessarily all support USB DAC output, these are Zishan can not control, need buyers toss, it is recommended to first understand whether their mobile phone supports USB DAC output, U1 only guarantees to connect to the computer."

Before calling it a failure better think about where you have failed to understand what is written. Also my U1 connects great to the computer I tried several ASIO drivers and all are working.

Here is a screenshot from my Xiaomi:
WeChat Image_20200715184512.jpg
And connected to my laptop:
WeChat Image_20200715184501.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #67 of 196
Now you definitely sound like a seller I have bought from and the manufacturer, even given the same engrish answers 😄😄😄 Don't take it that personally 🙈And I dont demand much, I demand what every consumer demands in free market - for my stuff to work properly. If all other usb dongles I have tried worked with all my phones without any additional software, that means that this item is simply of a bad design. I am a Foobar2000 user for life, so if anything does not work with that, it has no use for me. I won't argue with you about this here any more, I have better things to do. Have a nice day.

Jul 15, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #68 of 196
Sorry my dear UK guy, I'm native German speaker, how many languages do you speak and write fluently? I have no idea what you are talking about with foobar. The U1 is working perfectly on my laptop with foobar and "ASIO for all" driver. You should update your stuff from time to time and not only use 20 yo gear and demand everything it working with it. Maybe you are still on USB 1.0....
Or your U1 is simply broken. It's Chinese Quality, not German quality. But luckily also not British quality, as a passionated Lotus cars driver I know British quality too well :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Have a good day, I'm off work now and check out the U1 with my Cypher Labs.

Update:
No improvement using the Cypher Labs on the Lo output. I guess the used OP275 is quite OK and not worse than the triodes in the Cypher. I feel its even a little better without the Cypher but its marginal, so it does not make any sense to use it.
I also tried the U1 on my home Laptop, the "ASIO for all" driver didn't make it here, distortion only. I needed to install the Amanero ASIO driver to get it working. Seems the U1 is quite tricky to operate but with a little bit time for trial and error its working so far for me on my phones and computers.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #69 of 196
Hey all,

So just stumbled across this thread after googling for the Zishan U1 - I've got the 4495 DSD player, which is epic... happy to help answer any queries.

So, those of you with Androids complaining about it not working - have you enabled USB OTG? I have had to do this in the past with similar DACS, nothing works until you do. For Android 10 onwards, they realised that's a pain so it's on by default if you plug in a USB soundcard, which effectively this is...

For those on earlier androids - sometimes you have this feature, sometimes you don't - depends on the phone...

Some other things I wanted to clear up on quick inspection:
  1. The Pot is a standard 3 pin one - this is used via an ADC to control volume, and as a result it's perfectly channel balanced
  2. Using it as USB powerbank is nifty - it supports a lot of rapid charges, doesn't get hot and feels pretty safe. Get's about as warm as the Zishan DSD
  3. Audio Quality is quite good - but I prefer the DSD. But, this is a world cheaper....
  4. Under linux, PulseAudio immediately finds it, no messing and works straight away.
  5. The Pot volume control is the wrong way round - it pickled my brain for a few mins, anti-clockwise is volume up. This feels like something that should be addressed with a firmware update, but there's no obvious way to user upgrade (i.e. no USB drive, etc is implemented)
  6. The chips inside I've not really looked at - there's an Atmel ATSAM3U1C which is controlling the USB negotiations at a guess - potential for flashing firmware here
  7. There's a chip I can't identify, labelled W332 SA69.1CA, possibly the charging/PD chip
  8. OP275's look like genuine
  9. AKM4493EQ looks genuine too (and I've no reason to expect otherwise from Zishan).
  10. There's an ST IC with what seems to be part number 78572
  11. Volume control does affect both PO and LO ports - annoyingly!.
So, if anyone can fill in the blanks that'd be great. Otherwise, ask away for questions.

Jul 17, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #70 of 196
7. you are right - its the charger chip, quite nice one:
W332 is an integrated QC2.0 / QC3.0
FCP/AFC input and output fast charging protocol,
SFCP output fast charging protocol,
MTK PE+ 1.1&2.0 output fast charging protocol,
USB C/PD2.0/PD3.0 input Output protocol,
USB CPD3.0 PPS output protocol,
compatible with BC1.2/Apple/Samsung mobile phones,

10. What is a ST IC?

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #71 of 196
10. What is a ST IC?

Sorry, should been clearer, I meant there is an STMicroelectronics IC that I can't identify.

I've also realised that Zishan has done an impressive life hack - the end covers are infact PCB's, which they used as a rapid way of getting neat drill holes and text printing. I'm definitely going to use this way for some of my DIY builds!

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #72 of 196
Op-Amp Rolling....

So I've had it less than 24 hours, it's only been pulled apart once and nothing's been desoldered. It's making me feel unsettled :wink:

In my spare parts bin, I've got the following:
AD8620
ADA4625 (Epic!)
AD8066
AD823
AD797
AD8066

Kinda settled on rolling out the headphone op-amp for the ADA4625 as I've had good results in the past, but any advice on what to roll the LPF out with? Indeed, if anyone can suggest what they think a good combination will be I'll start hacking on it tomorrow.

Jul 17, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #73 of 196
I've also realised that Zishan has done an impressive life hack - the end covers are infact PCB's, which they used as a rapid way of getting neat drill holes and text printing. I'm definitely going to use this way for some of my DIY builds!
Yes I also saw this one, great idea but mine has some sharp edges, need to use some sand paper to get rid of it. I guess they are broken out of a big waver and the broken edges are a little sharp.

Jul 17, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #74 of 196
Yes I also saw this one, great idea but mine has some sharp edges, need to use some sand paper to get rid of it. I guess they are broken out of a big waver and the broken edges are a little sharp.
They are easy to sand down, it's just fiberglass. Mine has the same issue.

So I've swapped out the op-amps with, well, two op-amps that cost more than the thing itself.

Gone for an AD8620 as the LPF, and and the ADA4625 for the headphone amp. Did have an issue with a channel mismatch, but a resolder of the LPF fixed that. Was a bit worried to start with....

Jul 17, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #75 of 196
Hey, this isn't fair. I've ordered the U1 way before you guys yet both of you already started the game (just joking around though, nothing serious).

The ZiShan U1 it going to replace my old Fiio X3 and the Cypher Labs Piccolo. I had no issues to connect the U1 to my Xiaomi 10 and also my old Huawei Mate8 with an oder Mini-USB, I used a OTG-Cable as adapter.
The Huawei does not accept all players it runs on Android 8 but on the Xiaomi with Android 10 no issues at all, it will immediately recognized as USB-Sound Device. I successfully tested "USB Audio Player Pro" and "HiByMusic" Player on the Xiaomi, on the Huawei only "HiByMusic" is working.

I also opened the U1, the version is still the same as on the promotion pictures. The PCB is marked with U1_7. The Battery was fixed using a sticky double tape which left a lot marks on the components after removing.

I like the sound, compared to the X3, which is of course not a reference but so far my best portable DAC. The is sound more detailed - more crispy and the bass has more definition. At the beginning I felt it is a litte too analytic but I get used to it now and can hear more details compared to the X3.

It has two outputs High and Low, I use the High output for my B&O H6, the volume is unfortunately opposite operation to what is "normal" right turn is to lower the volume. I also would like to see a line out which it does not have. There are relays working inside making a noticeably noise when plug and unplug the U1, also when start and stop playing music.

It was a great buy and I am very satisfied. The cost here in China is 238 RMB which is about 34US$, as I am living in the same city as the manufacturer it only took 1 day to arrive. I think its amazing what can be done for this little money.

I am not related to the manufacturer, I am German living and working in China.

Some Pictures - Inside:
IMG_20200713_134711.jpg
IMG_20200713_134453.jpg
My actual config - Xiaomi 10 and B&O H6
IMG_20200714_095909.jpg
Also tried the old Huawei Mate8:
IMG_20200714_100102.jpg
My old gear: Fiio X3 and Cypher Labs Piccolo (prototype).
IMG_20200714_100406.jpg
I looked a little into the block diagram and also downloaded the manual for the AK4493, it seems the volume is controlled by the AK4493 itself there is no analog volume control, means according to the block diagram the LO output is a Line out, which bypasses the second amplification and capacitors but has still an adjustable volume. I will try later to connect my Picollo to the LO output and see if I can get some more out of this fine DAC.
Haha, didn't expected U1 to work. But i guess it did already.

So Zishan was right, it would work for some device, but not every device.

Yes, U1's volume control is a DVC, it uses the analog potentiometer and then they used an ADC (the IC near the oscillators) to convert it to Digital data and feed it to the DAC. They're genius.

Well, enjoy your U1!
Somehow I fail to believe you are no way related to manufacturer 😄 but what ever, I have already finally managed to get my t*rd U1 returned for a refund, never again I will buy anything from a manufacturer who tels me to understand and to toss and offers to send me pirated android software.
It might be your unit is a defective one? Sorry for your experience, but it's a good way to return it if it didn't work for you.

About piracy, well China is known for it's piracy. If you don't like something cheap, please don't buy products from Zishan.
I am not related to the manufacturer, I know a few manufacturers of audio equipment here in China personally but never met with this guy.

The manufacturer very clear said it can not be guaranteed that the U1 is working with all devices. Which is understandable because the different Android phone manufacturers implemented the handling of USB devices differently it seems, as said my Xiaomi is recognizing it directly as USB-Audio device, my Huawei is just displaying the "headphone" icon in the status bar.
For the piracy stuff - It came up here because the threadstarter seems to have translated the Chinese text to English, this links should be only recognized by Chinese people. Can't find the links on the Ali-Express pages, only on Taobao in Chinese. He posted a link to a cracked version of ONE of the players - I have tried the player and it is working great, so I bought it. There are several reasons for this one: google is blocked here in China, unfortunately many software developers don't want this big market and don't support another platform to buy their software. I can use a VPN and have installed google services on my phone but most Chinese can't do that.

I don't understand people who expect and demand things that are not guaranteed, the manufacturer also told me that he can not guarantee it will work with my Xiaomi so I bought it knowing that I will have no warranty for this:

"Please note that there are many Android phone models and system versions There are many, not necessarily all support USB DAC output, these are Zishan can not control, need buyers toss, it is recommended to first understand whether their mobile phone supports USB DAC output, U1 only guarantees to connect to the computer."

Before calling it a failure better think about where you have failed to understand what is written. Also my U1 connects great to the computer I tried several ASIO drivers and all are working.

Here is a screenshot from my Xiaomi:
WeChat Image_20200715184512.jpg
And connected to my laptop:
WeChat Image_20200715184501.jpg
Thanks for the informations. You're the one who lives in china so I accept your explanations.
Now you definitely sound like a seller I have bought from and the manufacturer, even given the same engrish answers 😄😄😄 Don't take it that personally 🙈And I dont demand much, I demand what every consumer demands in free market - for my stuff to work properly. If all other usb dongles I have tried worked with all my phones without any additional software, that means that this item is simply of a bad design. I am a Foobar2000 user for life, so if anything does not work with that, it has no use for me. I won't argue with you about this here any more, I have better things to do. Have a nice day.
Please be tolerant to each other. I know you hate your U1, but please respect to other's opinion and reviews.
Sorry my dear UK guy, I'm native German speaker, how many languages do you speak and write fluently? I have no idea what you are talking about with foobar. The U1 is working perfectly on my laptop with foobar and "ASIO for all" driver. You should update your stuff from time to time and not only use 20 yo gear and demand everything it working with it. Maybe you are still on USB 1.0....
Or your U1 is simply broken. It's Chinese Quality, not German quality. But luckily also not British quality, as a passionated Lotus cars driver I know British quality too well :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Have a good day, I'm off work now and check out the U1 with my Cypher Labs.

Update:
No improvement using the Cypher Labs on the Lo output. I guess the used OP275 is quite OK and not worse than the triodes in the Cypher. I feel its even a little better without the Cypher but its marginal, so it does not make any sense to use it.
I also tried the U1 on my home Laptop, the "ASIO for all" driver didn't make it here, distortion only. I needed to install the Amanero ASIO driver to get it working. Seems the U1 is quite tricky to operate but with a little bit time for trial and error its working so far for me on my phones and computers.
Thank you for this as well. Really appreciate your posts.
Hey all,

So just stumbled across this thread after googling for the Zishan U1 - I've got the 4495 DSD player, which is epic... happy to help answer any queries.

So, those of you with Androids complaining about it not working - have you enabled USB OTG? I have had to do this in the past with similar DACS, nothing works until you do. For Android 10 onwards, they realised that's a pain so it's on by default if you plug in a USB soundcard, which effectively this is...

For those on earlier androids - sometimes you have this feature, sometimes you don't - depends on the phone...

Some other things I wanted to clear up on quick inspection:
  1. The Pot is a standard 3 pin one - this is used via an ADC to control volume, and as a result it's perfectly channel balanced
  2. Using it as USB powerbank is nifty - it supports a lot of rapid charges, doesn't get hot and feels pretty safe. Get's about as warm as the Zishan DSD
  3. Audio Quality is quite good - but I prefer the DSD. But, this is a world cheaper....
  4. Under linux, PulseAudio immediately finds it, no messing and works straight away.
  5. The Pot volume control is the wrong way round - it pickled my brain for a few mins, anti-clockwise is volume up. This feels like something that should be addressed with a firmware update, but there's no obvious way to user upgrade (i.e. no USB drive, etc is implemented)
  6. The chips inside I've not really looked at - there's an Atmel ATSAM3U1C which is controlling the USB negotiations at a guess - potential for flashing firmware here
  7. There's a chip I can't identify, labelled W332 SA69.1CA, possibly the charging/PD chip
  8. OP275's look like genuine
  9. AKM4493EQ looks genuine too (and I've no reason to expect otherwise from Zishan).
  10. There's an ST IC with what seems to be part number 78572
  11. Volume control does affect both PO and LO ports - annoyingly!.
So, if anyone can fill in the blanks that'd be great. Otherwise, ask away for questions.
:thumbsup:
Op-Amp Rolling....

So I've had it less than 24 hours, it's only been pulled apart once and nothing's been desoldered. It's making me feel unsettled :wink:

In my spare parts bin, I've got the following:
AD8620
ADA4625 (Epic!)
AD8066
AD823
AD797
AD8066

Kinda settled on rolling out the headphone op-amp for the ADA4625 as I've had good results in the past, but any advice on what to roll the LPF out with? Indeed, if anyone can suggest what they think a good combination will be I'll start hacking on it tomorrow.
+1 for AD8066 aka Dibil op amp!

My personal change would be: OPA1602 as LPF and AD8066 for Gain stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back