ZiShan U1 HiFi USB DAC+AMP Thread

Would you buy the ZiShan U1?

• Total voters
May 31, 2020 at 7:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 196

IcedFrosty

100+ Head-Fier
ZiShan U1
New portable USB DAC+AMP from ZiShan which is their first dedicated external DAC+AMP, featuring:

- PCM decoding up to 32bit/384kHz
- DSD decoding up to 1bit/5.6MHz
- AK4493EQ DAC
- OP275 LPF (soldered)
- OP275 AMP (soldered)
- Dual crystal oscillator
- Atmel Atsam Microcontroller
- Xilinx FPGA (not exactly sure but it seems to be)
- 3.5mm Power Output (PO)
- 3.5mm Line Output (LO)
- Dual USB-C ports; Charging port (I/O) and Data USB DAC port (Input)
- 3.8V 884566 4200mAh Battery
- ±9V Power supply
- Elna caps coupling
- Volume knob
- Supports QC2.0/QC3.0/MTK PE/USB PD quick charging and output charge (In other away, can be used as a power/battery bank)
- Portable size at 100mm × 50mm × 20mm (Length × Widht × Thickness)

Full Description (straight from ZiShan):
Zishan suddenly came up with a USB decoder, so the model named U1 was launched.

Due to the meager profit, only one computer data cable is standard, please be aware.

With so many similar products on the market, what are the characteristics of U1?

1. U1 is a 4200mAh fast charge and quick release two-way charging treasure, does not consume mobile phone power, and can also quickly charge the mobile phone.

U1 adopts the latest fast charging chip IP5332
Integrated QC2.0 / QC3.0 output fast charging protocol
Integrated FCP input / output fast charging protocol
Integrated AFC input / output fast charging protocol
Integrated SFCP output fast charging protocol
Integrated MTK PE + 1.1 & 2.0 output fast charging protocol
Integrated USB C DRP protocol, support input and output fast charge
Compatible with BC1.2, Apple, Samsung mobile phone fast charge

As shown in FIG,
When charging U1, the fast charging head wiring is inserted into the CHARGE port.
When charging the phone with U1, you need to connect the two-head TYPEC to the U1 CHARGE port and the USB port of the phone.
The button is the power indicator, click to see the current power.

2. U1 is a daughter card compatible with the Italian Amanero digital interface
Zishan's preferred dual crystal + CPLD I2S solution, which leads to I2S key signals for players to DIY. Just want to connect to the computer and do not want to toss the buyer to unplug the battery directly, short J1 can be used as a "desktop" USB decoder, U1 is at this time The USB DAC port takes power. The configuration of this decoder is not simple, but the Amanero digital interface + full blood AK4493EQ + Tu 9V power supply + dual OP275 + native 3.5 LineOut + HIFI standard amp for the tube amp! It is convenient for everyone to pick up the speaker.
The default firmware is compatible with CPLD_for_1080 + DSD512 × 48 × 44
Driver compatible with: see in the links section below (A)

Support up to PCM 384K 32Bit
The DSD hard solution only guarantees DSD128, because the profit is meager, other DSD256 DSD512 settings must be tossed by Baidu or Google, search for the keyword "Italian amanero foobar2000 settings", very much information. Important things said three times: meager profit, no technical support! Low profits, no technical support! Low profits, no technical support! The following DSD setting links are for reference only.
Link: see in the links section below (B)

3. U1 is an Android Apple "little tail"
Android phones directly use dual TYPE-C cables, one end is connected to the phone TYPE-C port, and the other is connected to the U1 USB DAC port. Generally, Haibei is used to open USB exclusive or USB Audio Player PRO. Please note that there are many Android phone models and system versions There are many, not necessarily all support USB DAC output, these are Zishan can not control, need buyers toss, it is recommended to first understand whether their mobile phone supports USB DAC output, U1 only guarantees to connect to the computer.
Android software link: see in the links section below (C)

Apple phones need to buy a Lighting to Type-C cable, or buy an Apple camera kit, one end connected to the Apple phone Lighting port and the other connected to the U1 USB DAC port, Apple plugs in is the USB DAC output, and the playback software is free. If there is no recognition or use Disconnected after a few tens of seconds, indicating that the pro-Lighting to Type-C cable or the decryption chip in the camera case is pirated, it is recommended to buy it again.
The profit is meager, and the above two lines are not standard, you need to buy them separately. Only one standard computer cable is connected.

4. Insufficient hanging gear and have to mention
1). Smart power-on and power-off, plug in the USB DAC, U1 will automatically power on, the indicator light is on the knob, and the power will be turned off automatically when the cable is pulled out.
2). Automatically turn off the high-voltage op amp power in 5 minutes at minimum volume, automatically shut down at 20 minutes in minimum volume, and automatically restore when volume is increased
3). Low battery automatic shutdown
4). The physical relay is silent, without any electronic switch
5). All aluminum handle knob is good, the main control ADC acquisition knob is then CNC AK4493EQ volume, completely solve the knob bias problem.
6). The main body has no pattern, users can play it at will.
7). 12 hours + battery life

(Translated using Google Translation.)

Gallery
~ PCB front Side
pcb-front.jpg

~ PCB rear Side
pcb-rear.jpg

~ PCB w/ battery
pcb-with-battery.jpg

~ Top
top.jpg

~ Bottom
bottom.jpg

~ Side
side.jpg

~ Block diagram
zishan-u1-block-diagram.jpg

Links:
∆ You can get the ZiShan U1 here:
https://m.tb.cn/h.VO0RhDa?sm=dbacc7 (priced at $34)
∆ Amanero driver link (A):
https://www.amanero.com/drivers.htm
∆ DSD setting link (B):
https://pan.baidu.com/s/17WTwiTPi2u-PUbozKPgctA
Extraction code: n055
∆ Android software link (C):
https://pan.baidu.com/s/1IWEaVzzjQA52NEBHMjGgUw
Extraction code: 2zpn

Updates:
None so far.

NOTE:
I haven't order this unit yet so can't give you any more informations. As always any critics/suggestions are always welcome. What do you guys think about this new DAC+AMP from ZiShan? For me, i think it's interesting.

Lastly, this thread is created for everyone and aimed at sharing opinions, reviews, mods, and and other stuff about the ZiShan U1. Please keep it peace, friendly and an easy-to-read discussion thread. So let's use this thread as best as possible. Thank you

Stay healthy,
God bless.

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #3 of 196
Hmm, judging by the block diagram, it seems that the U1 can be used as a standalone external headphone amplifier (LO as analog input).

Feel free to correct me.

If the block diagram / schematic is similar to the Z1, then it should work as an amp.
I know that most of the small Walnut DAPs have that feature.

Jun 1, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #4 of 196
specs are okay, but who's gonna use it as an external battery bank anyway... waiting for a review for this one since it's an alien product. would you make one? or anyone?. after hearing stories of t1, i won't buy this kind of chinese product if it has similar stories

Jun 1, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 196
If the block diagram / schematic is similar to the Z1, then it should work as an amp.
I know that most of the small Walnut DAPs have that feature.
I'm not a pro in this but I don't think people can control the volume on U1 if it can act as a standalone AMP due to the analog potentiometer is at the early stage of the diagram (even before the DAC). So i doubt it can act as a proper headphone amplifier.

specs are okay, but who's gonna use it as an external battery bank anyway... waiting for a review for this one since it's an alien product. would you make one? or anyone?. after hearing stories of t1, i won't buy this kind of chinese product if it has similar stories
Hello soysauce,

Well i don't know why they decided that it can work as a battery bank to charge your phone, but at least (i think) that's the difference between U1 and other DAC+AMP that's been around in china.

About review, can't say. If ZiShan to send me the U1, i will do my best ti review it. But if they don't, we'll have to see others to do that review. I hope U1 don't have similar "stories" as in T1. Again, we'll have to wait.

God bless.

Jun 3, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #6 of 196
To be honest I don't understand why Zishan release a product with useless funtion like this. What is the point of charging your phone using this if you can't use the DAC function at the same time. They should include the ability to charge at the same time this work as an External DAC for phone.
Anyway I may buy this after there are more user review on Taobao about the sound quality of this.

Jun 3, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #7 of 196
To be honest I don't understand why Zishan release a product with useless funtion like this. What is the point of charging your phone using this if you can't use the DAC function at the same time. They should include the ability to charge at the same time this work as an External DAC for phone.
Anyway I may buy this after there are more user review on Taobao about the sound quality of this.
i know right... i mean what im looking for is sound quality not charging my phone. maybe zishan didnt allow u1 to be used such way because you cant charge your phone and data transfer on the same usb port and at the same time.

yeah, still waiting for reviews. hope this doesnt have problems like t1.

Jun 3, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #8 of 196
i know right... i mean what im looking for is sound quality not charging my phone. maybe zishan didnt allow u1 to be used such way because you cant charge your phone and data transfer on the same usb port and at the same time.

yeah, still waiting for reviews. hope this doesnt have problems like t1.
You can charge and use data at the same time at least on USB type C. I have a type C hub that support charging via PD, support data type A, and external SD card. I'm quite frustrated that modern phone lack a 3.5mm port so that I can't listen to music at the same time with charging my phone.
If the U1 can do that seamlessly I will buy it without second thought
My current setup, It's very cumbersome
_20200603_215836.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #9 of 196
I'm not a pro in this but I don't think people can control the volume on U1 if it can act as a standalone AMP due to the analog potentiometer is at the early stage of the diagram (even before the DAC). So i doubt it can act as a proper headphone amplifier.
God bless.

Generally on these budget DAP/DAC/Amps, the analog Volume Pot is wired as an input attenuator for the output stage op-amp.
On the U1, it's probably wired between the output of the OP275 driving the Line Output, and the input of the OP275 driving the Headphone Jack.

Jun 12, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #11 of 196
The stock op-amps can probably output several hundred mW.

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #12 of 196
Do we know what it's power output is? It says 4200mW on AliExpress but it also says that it has a 4200mAh battery so that power figure is probably a mix up. Although it would be amazing if it had 4.2Watts power output!
Hello NotKunvinced,

From my trusted source:
"Same as DSDs series, about 400mW @32Ω"

It's powerful enough to drive HD600 i guess.

About that 4.2W output power, i simply think this is a mistake from the seller.

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #13 of 196
Hello NotKunvinced,

From my trusted source:
"Same as DSDs series, about 400mW @32Ω"

It's powerful enough to drive HD600 i guess.

About that 4.2W output power, i simply think this is a mistake from the seller.

Thanks. I'd imagine you're correct about the 4.2W.

400mW @ 32ohms should be plenty for my needs anyway. It's getting difficult not to pull the trigger!

Jun 14, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #14 of 196
I am planning to get this one, really looks like a cheap and different dac with a good chip inside :) shoud pair well with tempotec V1.

Jun 14, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #15 of 196
Considering this unit will work without issues, can it be plugged into a PC via USB DAC post and used on a daily basis? Or would it be necessary to use both ports simultaneously to charge at the same time? I apologize if my attention slipped somewhere and it was already covered in the OP. Want to get one because why not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back