Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Apr 28, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #6,016 of 6,090
Expecto Revival Carbo Tenore Thread haha... loving the sound of my Tenore once in a while..

May 2, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #6,017 of 6,090
I forgot my portable headphones when going away this past weekend but found my Tenore's in my rucksack. Needless to say they kept me going, I forgot how nice they are.

May 5, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #6,018 of 6,090
I've been waiting for 8 months for the price to drop, it was like $35 with shipping, and suddenly 8 months ago it peaked $70 and it's been slowly dropping until 2 months ago that has frozen at $45.

:triportsad:

May 11, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #6,019 of 6,090
So after 1.5 years of solid service my Carbo Basso's have given up on me. The right hand side is cutting out and also sounds like the driver is blown.

I do listen to a lot of heavy sub-bass music such as that found in DnB, deep house and hip-hop.

Can anyone suggest an upgrade for these? I really liked the sub-bass performance as well as the fairly laid back treble so something with a similar sound sig will be great.

Thanks

May 11, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #6,021 of 6,090
paired my carbo tenore with my newly purchased used Nokia N91.. sounded nice.. dont even need any amp.. but as usual Carbo Tenore needed extra juice as compared to my other iem.. but the bass sounded punchy and deep but not too deep.. N91 made my TK Maple and esp TK12's bass overpowered..

Attachments

• IMG-20170512-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20170512-WA0002.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 0
May 14, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #6,022 of 6,090
I am on Holiday in Japan right now and went to e earphones to try out the zero audio IEMs, after hearing all the great things.

First up was the tenore. Honestly, maybe the pair on display/Audioplay might have been crap, because it was all high notes through a tin can and no bass.

The carbo Basso was An immediate improvement; the highs didnt Hurt my ears so much and the bass was solid. I tried the mezzo after, which might have been the best one with a slight up in price, but having An open system entirely defeats the purpose of An IEM for me.

So i bought the Basso. But listening on it on the train I didnt hear any of that bass everyone seems to have. Or, that i rmbered to have in the shop, for that matter. Especially when commuting in loud areas, bass is the tone that seems to dissapear the fastest. Still a lot of details in highs and miss though. Sounds well enough.

I dont know if i believe in burn in either. If that was a scientific fact, i expect headphone producers to have their products on a 24 hour burn in period before selling. Or at least, some proof? Where is The proof?

So, hearing those trebly tenores and bass lacking bassos, could it be that zero audio doesnt make its products consistently?

FIY, i come from a Sennheiser HD25-1, and its still better. I might have been expecting too much from my first IEM thats a fraction of the price. But alle those reviews are glowing to the moon and back, so i am not sure what gives, you know?

Last edited:
May 14, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #6,023 of 6,090
Honestly, that sounds like a seal issue. The Tenore is about as bassy as I would want, so something is up as I've also heard the HD-25 and they are alright but aren't much bassier.

May 15, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #6,024 of 6,090
Wait, what?
How a driver blows?
And how do you know it has blown?

I guess too much power for too long time. I do like me some bass so I'm always after iem/headphones/speakers that have good sub-bass that can be driven hard.

I knew it was blown because every time a bass note is played it doesn't sound the same as before and the same as left-hand earpiece. It sounds like the driver has popped or crackled or something. Also that earpiece is cutting out frequently; I have to keep moving the iem around to get sound from it.

The iem basshead thread has some good information about iem's that have good "headroom" to be dirven from amps. However a lot of those iems are not ideal for me as they will have an unfavourable signature (elevated or harsh treble) or they wont isolate well or have fit issues (sony mdr 7550 etc)

So I am after an iem that has a similar signature, ease of fit and decent isolation like the Basso.

I may just end up buying the Basso again lol!

May 16, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #6,025 of 6,090
I am on Holiday in Japan right now and went to e earphones to try out the zero audio IEMs, after hearing all the great things.

First up was the tenore. Honestly, maybe the pair on display/Audioplay might have been crap, because it was all high notes through a tin can and no bass.

The carbo Basso was An immediate improvement; the highs didnt Hurt my ears so much and the bass was solid. I tried the mezzo after, which might have been the best one with a slight up in price, but having An open system entirely defeats the purpose of An IEM for me.

So i bought the Basso. But listening on it on the train I didnt hear any of that bass everyone seems to have. Or, that i rmbered to have in the shop, for that matter. Especially when commuting in loud areas, bass is the tone that seems to dissapear the fastest. Still a lot of details in highs and miss though. Sounds well enough.

I dont know if i believe in burn in either. If that was a scientific fact, i expect headphone producers to have their products on a 24 hour burn in period before selling. Or at least, some proof? Where is The proof?

So, hearing those trebly tenores and bass lacking bassos, could it be that zero audio doesnt make its products consistently?

FIY, i come from a Sennheiser HD25-1, and its still better. I might have been expecting too much from my first IEM thats a fraction of the price. But alle those reviews are glowing to the moon and back, so i am not sure what gives, you know?

no bass might be seal issue.. plus tenore, as mentioned by Lurk (thread original poster), Tenore is power hungry and i second that, as i always need to pump a lil more in volume to enjoy tenore as compared to other iems, but when given enough juice it really does shine. and when commuting, sounds always leaks in if you dont have proper seal thus affects sounds youre hearing from the iem.. u enjoyed basso which is the more bass centric from the pair with proper seal you should be having much more bass, in fact even with tenore... the only product quality issue ive seen from this thread is the cable issue and stress relief, not much from the shell and driver itself..

also i dont remember tenore needing burn in nor do i really believe in one, but i do notice my FAD Heaven II bass improved after experimental burn in and TK12 sort of smoothens* as well.

May 17, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #6,026 of 6,090
Hoe does one find the perfect seal though? Do you keep trying? Many tips for many ears, but its a long ways finding whats right? As long as i am in Japan i suppose i could buy a pack of something, but i havent seen those MEE tips mentioned which are supposed to fit well.

May 17, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #6,027 of 6,090
Hoe does one find the perfect seal though? Do you keep trying? Many tips for many ears, but its a long ways finding whats right? As long as i am in Japan i suppose i could buy a pack of something, but i havent seen those MEE tips mentioned which are supposed to fit well.

i learned the term 'tiprolling' from this forum.. and thats basically it, you find the best tip for your ear and keep trying haha.. at the moment im using silicone spinfit CP100 tip, L Size for me, yours might differ, some prefer Comply foam tip, some in fact prefer the said double flange MEE tip which you can get from ebay, i did bought the MEE tip but it didnt worked for me.. but for best isolation foam tip was said to be better than silicone.. the one im using SpinFit CP100 has this 360 degree spin technology which make the round tip flexible and can twist n turn thus making the fit better..

Jun 22, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #6,028 of 6,090
Hello chaps, I picked up a set of ZERO AUDIO DX-210-CB after reading though the thread on them here
Fake%20basso_zpsxukdrl2e.jpg

I'm led to believe they are made in Japan by ZERO AUDIO, but when mine arrived they have "made in China" on them... Which immediately rang alarm bells...
made%20in%20China_zpsvi8f6ld4.jpg

Is this normal or have I landed myself with a Fake?

Jun 22, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #6,029 of 6,090
Hello chaps, I picked up a set of ZERO AUDIO DX-210-CB after reading though the thread on them here
Fake%20basso_zpsxukdrl2e.jpg

I'm led to believe they are made in Japan by ZERO AUDIO, but when mine arrived they have "made in China" on them... Which immediately rang alarm bells...
made%20in%20China_zpsvi8f6ld4.jpg

Is this normal or have I landed myself with a Fake?
Do you think Shure IEM's are made in the USA ? This should answer your question

Users who are viewing this thread

Back