Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Mar 16, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #4,846 of 6,090
  You might be aware this but Tenores go through big sound change through the burn-in period. 100hrs of burn in is essential to get Tenores in their permanent form.

I have three pairs of Tenores. One of them went indeed through a big sound change, the other two stayed more or less the same. 
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #4,847 of 6,090
Well, you know somethings right when you receive a pair of Sennheiser HD25 the same day, but end up contributing more time with the Tenore. :tongue_smile:

We're getting it too good in the budget section. Chinese IEM smashing out performance left/right/center.

I'll pop back in once some manual listening hours are clocked up! 

I agree, we are getting some nice stuff in budget segment. Good for people like me :)

I have three pairs of Tenores. One of them went indeed through a big sound change, the other two stayed more or less the same. :wink:  

Mine went through big sound change, and I've seen several people experiencing the same. So I thought I'd inform him not to make opinion about Tenore out of the box or just little burn in. Just some days ago saw someone here bashing Tenore out of the box, then praising after some burn in, again bashed at more burn in and finally admitted how good they sound after extensive period.

Mar 16, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #4,848 of 6,090

My Tenore arrived today, I'm very impressed at the sound these push out. Great amount of refinement and detail. There's something about them that sounds smooth and inviting, good essence or vibe. The build is a little questionable, thin cable, looks to be weak strain reliefs, though for $50 roughly they're true stars in performance. 

Really pleased from the moment I put them in my ears. 

You might be aware this but Tenores go through big sound change through the burn-in period. 100hrs of burn in is essential to get Tenores in their permanent form.

I didn't really find that tbh. 

Mar 16, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #4,849 of 6,090
Mar 16, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #4,850 of 6,090
I think mine have become a little warmer and loosened up a touch, nothing drastic though. Still essentially the same sound.

I'm more a believer in brain burn in than anything but an IEM 'loosening' over time makes sense, should result in a warmer tone and perhaps reduce treble peaks and sibilance. What I don't subscribe to is people insisting the bass has tightened up over time...not buying that at all! Mechanically makes no sense.

I think my work mate is looking to sell his Basso's with the intention of buying the Tenore, so if anyone is interested in a purchase or trade drop me a PM (I'm UK). They should be on the FS forum within a couple of days.

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #4,851 of 6,090
  My Tenore arrived today, I'm very impressed at the sound these push out. Great amount of refinement and detail. There's something about them that sounds smooth and inviting, good essence or vibe. The build is a little questionable, thin cable, looks to be weak strain reliefs, though for $50 roughly they're true stars in performance. 

Really pleased from the moment I put them in my ears. 

Glad you like them, H20! They are indeed a wonderful little gem that certainly punches way above its price tag.

Still, I hope that Zero Audio considers strengthening the cable and strain relief on its next IEM(s). They don't really strike me as being very durable. Still, for that sound, and for that price, they are pretty much unbeatable.

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #4,852 of 6,090

Glad you like them, H20! They are indeed a wonderful little gem that certainly punches way above its price tag.

Still, I hope that Zero Audio considers strengthening the cable and strain relief on its next IEM(s). They don't really strike me as being very durable. Still, for that sound, and for that price, they are pretty much unbeatable.

Honestly, I've been listening on/off for a few hours now, little shocked how they sound straight from Microsoft Zune 30gb.

I'm actually excited to lay down later and spend time with them.

Not to mention the comfort levels are quite high, they just sink into the ear, no weight. I mean, sure, the build is a little limited but you can't really knock them when they sound like this. I have no idea if mine are bassy pair or reference, they sound relatively balanced, maybe a little boost in the low-end. The detail they push out is quite exceptional.

Hit a real sweet spot on the listening genes.

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #4,853 of 6,090

Honestly, I've been listening on/off for a few hours now, little shocked how they sound straight from Microsoft Zune 30gb.

I'm actually excited to lay down later and spend time with them.

Not to mention the comfort levels are quite high, they just sink into the ear, no weight. I mean, sure, the build is a little limited but you can't really knock them when they sound like this. I have no idea if mine are bassy pair or reference, they sound relatively balanced, maybe a little boost in the low-end. The detail they push out is quite exceptional.

Hit a real sweet spot on the listening genes.

Yup, that's how I found my Tenore too - relatively balanced with a slight boost in the bass department. Clarity, detail and the treble range are not sacrificed in any way, though.

They are currently my go-to earphones - DX50 + Tenore is a wonderful pairing.

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #4,854 of 6,090
Yup, that's how I found my Tenore too - relatively balanced with a slight boost in the bass department. Clarity, detail and the treble range are not sacrificed in any way, though.

They are currently my go-to earphones - DX50 + Tenore is a wonderful pairing.

I was using DX50 earlier with Tenore, but there's something about the Zune which is giving quite amounts of depth in vocals. Really impressive. (will try DX50 again)

On the DX50 what gain mode do you use? (I was on medium gain)

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #4,855 of 6,090
I was using DX50 earlier with Tenore, but there's something about the Zune which is giving quite amounts of depth in vocals. Really impressive. (will try DX50 again)

On the DX50 what gain mode do you use? (I was on medium gain)

I use low gain, with volume around 220. Sound is already relatively full-bodied with impressive extensions on both ends. Anyway, one other thing that I really love about the Tenore is the comfort factor. Unlike most of my larger universal IEMs, the diminutive size of the Tenore means that I can use them for over an hour without feeling any ear strain.

Mar 16, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #4,856 of 6,090
I use low gain, with volume around 220. Sound is already relatively full-bodied with impressive extensions on both ends. Anyway, one other thing that I really love about the Tenore is the comfort factor. Unlike most of my larger universal IEMs, the diminutive size of the Tenore means that I can use them for over an hour without feeling any ear strain.

Was starting to sound a touch thin with Microsoft Zune, despite this I was throwing some Andrea Bocelli tracks which really do test an IEM's skills or they will not sound right. The Tenore just breezed through no problems.

Switched to DX50 now, (low gain) just adds that slight amount of thickness to the mids. I'm a little weary of comparing this to my DX90 / Fidue A83 rig actually. :p

Might be best to leave it at that!

Mar 16, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #4,858 of 6,090
Was starting to sound a touch thin with Microsoft Zune, despite this I was throwing some Andrea Bocelli tracks which really do test an IEM's skills or they will not sound right. The Tenore just breezed through no problems.

Switched to DX50 now, (low gain) just adds that slight amount of thickness to the mids. I'm a little weary of comparing this to my DX90 / Fidue A83 rig actually.
tongue.gif

I've been going back and forth listening to the A83 and Tenore. Don't worry, A83 still sounds much more rich, expansive, full, and more bass. Also like the A83 requires less power to drive them. But for the price, Tenore is very good. But yea, $280 vs $45. :) Might go back to DN1000 or GR07 BE for more bass.

Mar 16, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #4,859 of 6,090

Switched to DX50 now, (low gain) just adds that slight amount of thickness to the mids. I'm a little weary of comparing this to my DX90 / Fidue A83 rig actually. :p

Do you still have the EPH100? If so how do they compare?

Cheers

Mar 16, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #4,860 of 6,090

Switched to DX50 now, (low gain) just adds that slight amount of thickness to the mids. I'm a little weary of comparing this to my DX90 / Fidue A83 rig actually.
tongue.gif

Yup, the DX50 pairs pretty well with the Tenore, giving it a stronger body. My iPod Classic sounds a little too bright and thin at times.

Interested to hear your impressions on the Tenore VS the A83, though. I've been eyeing them myself. 
smile.gif

I've been going back and forth listening to the A83 and Tenore. Don't worry, A83 still sounds much more rich, expansive, full, and more bass. Also like the A83 requires less power to drive them. But for the price, Tenore is very good. But yea, $280 vs $45. :) Might go back to DN1000 or GR07 BE for more bass.

Interesting comparison. So in an overall sense, the A83 is just a better package than the Tenore? How about its handling of the high frequencies? Is it as smooth and controlled as the Tenore? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back