Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Mar 17, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #4,862 of 6,090
  can someone please tell me what tts is?

It's an acronym for Typical Tenore Syndrom:

AFAIK there are three possible issues:

- FR anomalies (most frequently: too much bass): as idsy says, due to variations in the driver's back vent damping. Major issue, needs invasive mod to fix.
- Cable sheath coming off at the strain relief: minor issue (imo, since cable itself isn't affected). Simply glue the sheath back on.
- TTS (sudden volume drop in one or both channels): likely due to moisture condensation. Replace the filter mesh with a small piece of cotton wool.

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #4,863 of 6,090
Compared to M40x, how does Tenore sound? If it's really similar in signature and the same (if not better) soundstage, that I will gladly sell my M40x for this little thing. Lots of travelling by foot to college so M40x is not really my option anymore. 

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #4,864 of 6,090
  Hm... I hope Tenore have better bass impact, bit punchy, and better soundstage
but overall the sound is awesome for the price range, of course IMO 
wink.gif

I got Tenore for 575K IDR, BNOB. So expensive maybe (btw cheapest price in Indonesia is 650K, imported from Japan with 1 month warranty)

You can get that cheap? Where? (I mean at Headfonia Store and Bass audio and so many other headphone stores, it costs 850k!)

Mar 17, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #4,865 of 6,090
  Compared to M40x, how does Tenore sound? If it's really similar in signature and the same (if not better) soundstage, that I will gladly sell my M40x for this little thing. Lots of travelling by foot to college so M40x is not really my option anymore. 

You can get that cheap? Where? (I mean at Headfonia Store and Bass audio and so many other headphone stores, it costs 850k!)

As ex-owner of M40x, M40x don't have similarities with Tenore at the low and high frequency region. Tenore more smooth at treble, don't have sibilance, the bass is not too punchy. IMO, M40x bit veiled at mid range

You can check at "Warung Audio Kere Hore" facebook group, or check FJB. But 850K is very worth, you will receive warranty for 1 year 
wink.gif

Mar 17, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #4,866 of 6,090

Yup, the DX50 pairs pretty well with the Tenore, giving it a stronger body. My iPod Classic sounds a little too bright and thin at times.

Interested to hear your impressions on the Tenore VS the A83, though. I've been eyeing them myself. 
smile.gif

Interesting comparison. So in an overall sense, the A83 is just a better package than the Tenore? How about its handling of the high frequencies? Is it as smooth and controlled as the Tenore? Thanks.

The treble is almost the same as the Tenore, smooth, and almost sibiliant at higher volumes. On iphone 5, A83 volume is about 2-3 clicks less than Tenore to get about the same sound level. A83 trumps the Tenore in bass and mids, bringing a bit stronger bass and a more forward and closer music experience. Kind of like being in the same concert, but the A83 brings you closer to the stage. I wouldn't say it's a $200+ sound difference, but also getting build quality and quality replaceable cables. The A83 has finicky tip fitment issues for some and can only be used over the ear. I found the stock Tenore tips work just perfectly fine and easy to fit right out of the box. Just plug and play. Also, the A83 plug is a little bigger, which might not fit  or be a tight fit into a case with a smaller headphone jack cutout. I've been buying from Amazon Prime sellers, which allow returns, which return Amazon provided shipping is about $6. If it's defective, return shipping is free. I think $6 is pretty fair to try more expensive phones.

Mar 17, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #4,867 of 6,090
The treble is almost the same as the Tenore, smooth, and almost sibiliant at higher volumes. On iphone 5, A83 volume is about 2-3 clicks less than Tenore to get about the same sound level. A83 trumps the Tenore in bass and mids, bringing a bit stronger bass and a more forward and closer music experience. Kind of like being in the same concert, but the A83 brings you closer to the stage. I wouldn't say it's a $200+ sound difference, but also getting build quality and quality replaceable cables. The A83 has finicky tip fitment issues for some and can only be used over the ear. I found the stock Tenore tips work just perfectly fine and easy to fit right out of the box. Just plug and play. Also, the A83 plug is a little bigger, which might not fit  or be a tight fit into a case with a smaller headphone jack cutout. I've been buying from Amazon Prime sellers, which allow returns, which return Amazon provided shipping is about $6. If it's defective, return shipping is free. I think $6 is pretty fair to try more expensive phones.

Interesting to hear you referring to the soundstage preference in this way. I have a personal taste that probably aligns with your thoughts here and do not like it too large. Generally I find HF tends to regard soundstage as bigger the better, which make me chuckle: "this new 'x' earphone soundstage is huge, it's like I'm listening to the concert whilst still at home....100 miles away. Amazing".
:D
I do at times think the Tenore can lack some intimacy when I want it, but generally I find it very much to my liking.

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #4,868 of 6,090
Do you still have the EPH100? If so how do they compare?

Cheers

I sold the EPH-100, I would say if your Tenore are 'reference' or one of the properly manufactured units they are quite a step up from the EPH-100.

Sounds like the standard (reference) tuning to me, well-balanced mids and treble with a noticeable, but still quite tasteful, deep-bass lift.

I continue to be 'highly' impressed with this unit, I would say from listening they would be close to a reference Tenore.

Due to the refinement this pair have an uncanny (usually unfound for this price) way of bringing across vocals, hearing quite deeply into a singer's voice, really brings out a nice level of emotion. This is something an SE535 for example doesn't have a chance on the best Sunday moon to achieve.

They're true stars, I love them!

Mar 18, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #4,869 of 6,090
@H20Fidelity

Usually never use any EQ settings, but I just tried the Bass Boost EQ setting with my iPhone 5 with the Tenore... seems like it brings it closer to the A83 sound and makes the bass a little stronger without distortion and the mids a bit warmer. I think it makes the Tenore shine even better! Let me know your thoughts :)

Mar 18, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #4,870 of 6,090
Buying Tenores and KZ EDSE were best decisions that I took after joining Head-Fi : )   So thankful for that!!!

Mar 18, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #4,871 of 6,090
@H20Fidelity

Usually never use any EQ settings, but I just tried the Bass Boost EQ setting with my iPhone 5 with the Tenore... seems like it brings it closer to the A83 sound and makes the bass a little stronger without distortion and the mids a bit warmer. I think it makes the Tenore shine even better! Let me know your thoughts :)

You'll find A83 is more detailed, especially in the upper-mid range, but if you listen for refinement and coherency you may find Tenore have an edge on the Fidue. When we say something is 'better' sometimes it can just mean an advantage in certain criteria or aspect of the sound.

I still rate A83 / DX90 the higher performing setup. But at $40 odd Tenore could teach a few old dogs some tricks.

Mar 18, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #4,872 of 6,090
You'll find A83 is more detailed, especially in the upper-mid range, but if you listen for refinement and coherency you may find Tenore have an edge on the Fidue. When we say something is 'better' sometimes it can just mean an advantage in certain criteria or aspect of the sound.

I still rate A83 / DX90 the higher performing setup. But at $40 odd Tenore could teach a few old dogs some tricks.

That is a better detailed analysis, which is spot on. What I meant by "shine better" meaning Tenore no EQ vs Tenore with Bass Boost EQ. A83 still is "better" overall. Just wondering if you played around with EQ settings for the Tenore, which I usually don't do, but worked well for me with Tenore. 

Mar 18, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #4,873 of 6,090
That is a better detailed analysis, which is spot on. What I meant by "shine better" meaning Tenore no EQ vs Tenore with Bass Boost EQ. A83 still is "better" overall. Just wondering if you played around with EQ settings for the Tenore, which I usually don't do, but worked well for me with Tenore. 

I honestly don't need to EQ them really. While the bass on my set is relatively flat it still has decent extension, I don't want anymore bass, I know what you're saying though about tilting the low end and adding some warmth /thickening the mids a little.

I'm using my Tenore with a Microsoft Zune 30gb running WMA lossless files (converted from FLAC).

I'm selling my SE535 today because of the Tenore. (I'm pretty sure anyway) =)

Mar 18, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #4,874 of 6,090
I honestly don't need to EQ them really. While the bass on my set is relatively flat it still has decent extension, I don't want anymore bass, I know what you're saying though about tilting the low end and adding some warmth /thickening the mids a little.

I'm using my Tenore with a Microsoft Zune 30gb running WMA lossless files (converted from FLAC).

I'm selling my SE535 today because of the Tenore. (I'm pretty sure anyway) =)

Yay! There's this guy here who's my work colleague and has SE535LTD. Here in India it's ultra rare to find anyone who is willing to spend anything more than $10 for an IEM and $30 for a headphone, he feels quite special about it and has always trashed what I've bought, claiming that it's 'Chinese Stuff'. Ignorance everywhere... price is not always proportional to the SQ :D
Cheers.

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #4,875 of 6,090

Yay! There's this guy here who's my work colleague and has SE535LTD. Here in India it's ultra rare to find anyone who is willing to spend anything more than $10 for an IEM and $30 for a headphone, he feels quite special about it and has always trashed what I've bought, claiming that it's 'Chinese Stuff'. Ignorance everywhere... price is not always proportional to the SQ :D
Cheers.

I don't have the LTD edition though I cannot picture dramatic differences (I could be wrong). SE535 is ok but nothing to write home about compared to what's on the market today in 2015. They have a Shure house sound to them and they're detailed enough for something made in 2010, I can understand your friend becoming attached to them with some form of bragging rights (as they tend to do that to you) but some music just doesn't flow naturally with that IEM. Like its straining or profoundly confused during busy passages.  Don't get me wrong though, they're decent. (there's that strong Shure bond coming out in me again)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back