Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Mar 9, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #4,816 of 6,090
  After all this time, I finally picked up a pair of Tenore a few days ago, feels like everyone's left planet earth and moved to the next galaxy.

How do they sound? Well, I'll tell you when they arrive from the other side of Australia.

Don't let me down guys, the hype better be REAL. 

Congrats! I guess you'll just have to remember the price bracket the Tenores are in, and you'll be fine. They really are one of the better IEMs in its range.

Mar 9, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #4,818 of 6,090

Congrats! I guess you'll just have to remember the price bracket the Tenores are in, and you'll be fine. They really are one of the better IEMs in its range.

Its fine, I'm well seasoned to the price / performance ratio.

What's even better is, I've had just as much fun with $50 IEM, as $500 IEM. (this is seriously true). That's the beauty of this hobby and the direction budget level earphones are heading. if they keep this up the TOTL IEM need to really create a bigger gap.

The hype is real. Hopefully, you get a good pair. Lot's of QC issues with these phones. Fortunately, I got a good one. 

Lets hope so!

Mar 9, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #4,819 of 6,090

What's even better is, I've had just as much fun with $50 IEM, as $500 IEM. (this is seriously true). That's the beauty of this hobby and the direction budget level earphones are heading. if they keep this up the TOTL IEM need to really create a bigger gap.

This is definitely true. Eliminate one zeros each in my case though xD 
Both KZ EDSE and Tenore provide me equal amount of fun : )

After all this time, I finally picked up a pair of Tenore a few days ago, feels like everyone's left planet earth and moved to the next galaxy.

How do they sound? Well, I'll tell you when they arrive from the other side of Australia.

Don't let me down guys, the hype better be REAL. 

Hey, nice to see you boarding the Tenore bandwagon. Tenores definitely are keepers. 

Mar 9, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #4,820 of 6,090

Ah, yes, I agree. I actually prefer the sound of my IM70s to the Westone 3s, for example. That's about a 4x increase in price. In this hobby, objective ability can often be trumped by subjective preference. Sometimes, it's not just about how good your gear reproduces sound, but also whether the ear/headphone is able to make music sound alive.

Mar 9, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #4,821 of 6,090
I enjoy the comfort and sound of my Tenores that much that even if they break I'd probably buy another pair just because I don't think there's anything out there that matches them in comfort/size and sound quality.

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #4,822 of 6,090
I enjoy the comfort and sound of my Tenores that much that even if they break I'd probably buy another pair just because I don't think there's anything out there that matches them in comfort/size and sound quality.
+1

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #4,823 of 6,090

What's even better yet is, what if you find out that your $50 IEM sounds just as good or better than your $500 IEM?

L3000.gif

Mar 10, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #4,824 of 6,090

What's even better yet is, what if you find out that your $50 IEM sounds just as good or better than your $500 IEM?

L3000.gif

Well, the nature of expectation bias says that won't happen, especially if you purchased the more expensive IEM outright with personal income. One will try to deny the possibility for a while. In the end, natural selection chooses the genuine answer. This is why I have several little iem/dap rigs setup. I reach for them without any specific order.

With daps its a little different, which relies more on synergy, in this case I have heard $50 second-hand dap sound better than $240 one. (buts its all relative the IEM used / partnership)

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #4,825 of 6,090

L3000.gif

I'd go as far as saying that today's sub-200 IEMs might give flagships from 5-6 years ago a run for their money. When I first started out in this hobby in late 2010, I was rocking an SE535. That was top class back then, and is still a venerable icon today. Still, I think that some of the more established contemporary mid-range options may sound just as good as those flagships then.

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #4,826 of 6,090

I'd go as far as saying that today's sub-200 IEMs might give flagships from 5-6 years ago a run for their money. When I first started out in this hobby in late 2010, I was rocking an SE535. That was top class back then, and is still a venerable icon today. Still, I think that some of the more established contemporary mid-range options may sound just as good as those flagships then.

This is true, I own SE535, while I have a soft spot for the Shure something like new Dunu Titan at $115 USD is a pure example of the above comment.

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #4,827 of 6,090

I buy Tenore as 2nd IEM
My friend like Tenore, but she still can't buy Tenore (maybe I should gift Tenore for her)

Mar 11, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #4,828 of 6,090

I buy Tenore as 2nd IEM
My friend like Tenore, but she still can't buy Tenore (maybe I should gift Tenore for her)

Haha you should...

Very good pic btw

Mar 11, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #4,829 of 6,090
After listening to my Tenore's for 5 mins a friend at work, who is also into his HiFi, decided to go ahead and buy the Basso's. They arrived and I did some short comparisons today.

The Basso definitely has more bass, not too much though, for me pretty much bang on. I normally boost the sub bass with EQ and I find the Basso does not need this and sounds best with no EQ. They are also more efficient, noticeable louder than the Tenore. But, first impressions at least, leave me thinking the Tenore bests it everywhere else. Instrument realism and timbre is better on the Tenore, by quite a bit I would say. I think soundstage sounded similar in width and depth but separation and layering sounded better to me on the Tenore. The Basso's are brighter, they do not roll off or as smooth sounding as the Tenore, something which is very attractive and unique about the Tenore.

Still a very good sounding earphone for the money but doesn't quite meet the Tenore technically. It has similarities with the MH1C.

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #4,830 of 6,090
I actually found a workaround to my ears hurting from headphones earphones speakers. I study medicine and i have stethoscope, actually two but no matter. I was kind of playing with it and decided to put speaker near the stethoscope and they sound amazing and my ears don't hurt anymore cause speaker is away from ears. so i might no sell my amperior headphones after all. edit, they actually sound better without it. actually they do sound open, soundstage is quite open. nice, i no longer have amperiors to compare them to cause i sell them. tenore don't sound bassy no more and quite detailed.
I do take my words back, they sound really good now. I didn't use them for a week and now they sound really different, no bass, and really open and detailed audio. it's a new level of audio. really they need some time. I don't even know what to compare it to its like earphone kind of open. I could say singer in room but its not exactly it. you need to hear it to understand it. thanks, they are nice earphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back