Zero Audio ZH-DWX10 DUOZA dual dynamic driver iem
Jan 25, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #271 of 860
To me, that dip in the high 2500-8000 or so compare to that bumb in the low frequency will result in a recessed high. That is considered V shaped too though. That was smoothed out graph as they are trying to neutralize that v-shaped spectrum, but I guess there was no way to fix that dip :-/

True that everyone prefer different listening experience :)

Jan 25, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #272 of 860

Thanks, I believe we probably hear things differently or maybe you have fake EPH-100!? I believe a majority of phones will sound thinner than the FX850 (which I've also had) but I don't remember the EPH-100 as thin sounding. Dry sounding maybe, but not thin.

I normally don't care much for FR graphs, but had a look at Golden Ears FR graph for the EPH-100 and if I don't misread it completely it seems to confirm the EPH-100's treble is recessed or at least not prominent. It also seems to contradict your statement about the EPH-100 being V-shaped. You probably have a fake EPH-100 or - as I said - we simply hear things differently.

Is that graph not V shaped enough for you? When you recessed the mid so much even a tiny spike on 8khz or other frequncy will be very noticeable and that is exactly what I feel when I hear the eph-100. When I said thin is more like there is a hole or gap in the frequencies that is missing, also due to their soundstage that is very side to side.

I'm certainly no expert reading graphs, but compared to the target and what I perceive as treble (> 2 kHz) the EPH-100 is definitely not V-shaped. 8 kHz is an extremely high frequency and usually the limit for older people so I can imagine it needs a little boost to get any kind of sparkle. Anyway, I'm humble enough to admit that I may be wrong. Perhaps we have a "fr graph expert" among us who can tell us whether we're looking at a V-shaped graph or not? As I remember the EPH-100 it had a recessed and slightly dull sounding treble which was the reason I sold it.

Jan 25, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #273 of 860
To me, that dip in the high 2500-8000 or so compare to that bumb in the low frequency will result in a recessed high. That is considered V shaped too though. That was smoothed out graph as they are trying to neutralize that v-shaped spectrum, but I guess there was no way to fix that dip :-/

True that everyone prefer different listening experience :)

Very interesting and thanks for your input. My beef was that "voicemaster" described the treble of the EPH-100 as more emphasized that the treble of the duoza (or that's how I interpret what he writes).

voicemaster: "- duoza is more balance sounding, while eph-100 is more treble emphasize."

Voicemaster's statement may very well be true. I couldn't tell as I haven yet got the duoza. However, I've had the EPH-100 and sold it because I felt its treble was too recessed and dull. Now, if the treble of the duoza is so recessed that it makes the treble of the EPH-100 sound emphasized, then in my imagination the treble of the duoza must be pretty horrible, and then of course I wouldn't want to order it. However, I just don't think this is the case. Either "voicemaster's" EPH-100 is fake, or his hearing is different from mine, or the duoza is indeed a horrible phone when it comes to treble. Or could there be some other explanation?

Oh, BTW I didn't realized a bump in the low frequency qualified as V-shaped. I really though a bump in the highs were required as well. Or are you saying something else? Thanks!

Jan 25, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #274 of 860
I'm certainly no expert reading graphs, but compared to the target and what I perceive as treble (> 2 kHz) the EPH-100 is definitely not V-shaped. 8 kHz is an extremely high frequency and usually the limit for older people so I can imagine it needs a little boost to get any kind of sparkle. Anyway, I'm humble enough to admit that I may be wrong. Perhaps we have a "fr graph expert" among us who can tell us whether we're looking at a V-shaped graph or not? As I remember the EPH-100 it had a recessed and slightly dull sounding treble which was the reason I sold it.

Every people have different frequencies that they are more sensitive to. I am not an FR graph expert too by any means, but I have been doing sound using digital mixer and when you have a large and wide deep on 3khz to 7khz, you will hear the little spike on those 8khz frequency. For me, 10khz and above is where the sparkle and airiness come out. 5khz to 8khz usually where the treble harshness and piercing is. Also, when I said thin is more to the vocal sound, not the whole sound presentation, maybe that's where the misunderstanding comes in. I should probably clarify it better.
In the end, I am liking my duoza more than the eph-100.

Jan 26, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #275 of 860
Just joined this club thanks to Dopaminer.

Jan 26, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #276 of 860
Welcome jelt.
Anyway, I am listening to Zac Zinger's "Monster Hunter Swing" and the DuoZa sound absolutely amazing.
Here is the link:http://youtu.be/oBwt8T8P8Zs

Jan 27, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #278 of 860

Every people have different frequencies that they are more sensitive to. I am not an FR graph expert too by any means, but I have been doing sound using digital mixer and when you have a large and wide deep on 3khz to 7khz, you will hear the little spike on those 8khz frequency. For me, 10khz and above is where the sparkle and airiness come out. 5khz to 8khz usually where the treble harshness and piercing is. Also, when I said thin is more to the vocal sound, not the whole sound presentation, maybe that's where the misunderstanding comes in. I should probably clarify it better.
In the end, I am liking my duoza more than the eph-100.

Thanks for clarifying! My sine wave hearing ends around 10 - 11 kHz so that may well explain why we hear differently. Balanced sound is what I'm looking for and since I really like the tuning of Tenore I really want to hear the DuoZA as well.

Jan 27, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #279 of 860
Mine still up to 15khz xD Over 15khz is very faint and hurting.

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #280 of 860
Mine still up to 15khz xD Over 15khz is very faint and hurting.

Just tested mine, I can listen up to 16kHz. 

Will this freq reduce as I age? Currently I'm 24.

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #281 of 860
Jan 27, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #282 of 860
Thanks for clarifying! My sine wave hearing ends around 10 - 11 kHz so that may well explain why we hear differently. Balanced sound is what I'm looking for and since I really like the tuning of Tenore I really want to hear the DuoZA as well.

Oh that explains it. If you can't hear pass 11khz, then you only hear the treble roll off starting at exactly around 8khz and won't hear the little spike at around 12khz to 15khz. Frequencies above 10khz enhanced the "sss" to any sound.

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #283 of 860
  Just tested mine, I can listen up to 16kHz. 

Will this freq reduce as I age? Currently I'm 24.

At this age it is more unlikely for you to be experiencing high freq hearing loss, it is usually much later in life. Do you go to loud concerts? Have you ever been exposed to a lot of noise suddenly, to the level that your ears hurt?

And as you age, particularly in the later years, you will lose your hearing in the higher freq so you would be able to enjoy brighter heaphones. Also if you listened to treble heavy headphones when you're young can def mess up your hearing. The worst offenders are the iPhone ear buds. They provide **** isolation and you have to really turn up the volume to compensate. I did this all through medical school and am pretty sure my I will be paying for that with some degree of hearing loss. LOL

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #284 of 860

At this age it is more unlikely for you to be experiencing high freq hearing loss, it is usually much later in life. Do you go to loud concerts? Have you ever been exposed to a lot of noise suddenly, to the level that your ears hurt?

And as you age, particularly in the later years, you will lose your hearing in the higher freq so you would be able to enjoy brighter heaphones. Also if you listened to treble heavy headphones when you're young can def mess up your hearing. The worst offenders are the iPhone ear buds. They provide **** isolation and you have to really turn up the volume to compensate. I did this all through medical school and am pretty sure my I will be paying for that with some degree of hearing loss. LOL

Yes those apple earbud. Back then when I am still riding bus, I often time hear people (mostly teenagers) blast their apple earbud so loud that I can hear their music from 3 to 4 rows back. The worst part is even when you blast it that loud, it doesn't provide any bass at all unless you press your finger on it. If you like to go to loud concert, you can buy an SPL-plug to provide noise reduction without any muddiness of normal foam ear plug. I think still being able to hear around 15khz to 16khz is pretty good, not many people can hear above that, let alone 20khz lol.

Jan 27, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #285 of 860
  Yes those apple earbud. Back then when I am still riding bus, I often time hear people (mostly teenagers) blast their apple earbud so loud that I can hear their music from 3 to 4 rows back. The worst part is even when you blast it that loud, it doesn't provide any bass at all unless you press your finger on it. If you like to go to loud concert, you can buy an SPL-plug to provide noise reduction without any muddiness of normal foam ear plug. I think still being able to hear around 15khz to 16khz is pretty good, not many people can hear above that, let alone 20khz lol.

Ditto on the teenagers blasting music at that level. makes me wince when I see that happening on the subway. I have been to only one concert and it was to see mayhem festival and I was front row for Mastodon. Im pretty sure I did some damage that day. Wish I had known about plugs back then :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back