ZEN by DUNU: our first model designed around next-generation driver platform ECLIPSƎ
Apr 13, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #1,201 of 1,326
Apr 18, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #1,202 of 1,326
From what I'm reading here, Is ZEN advised for electronic and rock music? I own DUNU LUNA and love it for classical, acoustic, vocals and jazz. However it really only works for those aforementioned genres. I did try my LX, but it's a tad too thick for electronic/rock at times.

Any input is appreciated. thanks. After reading up on ZEN, it seems very well engineered/tuned. Just want to make sure I'm on the right path.

Apr 18, 2021 at 2:57 AM Post #1,203 of 1,326
From what I'm reading here, Is ZEN advised for electronic and rock music? I own DUNU LUNA and love it for classical, acoustic, vocals and jazz. However it really only works for those aforementioned genres. I did try my LX, but it's a tad too thick for electronic/rock at times.

Any input is appreciated. thanks. After reading up on ZEN, it seems very well engineered/tuned. Just want to make sure I'm on the right path.
Hi there,

The ZEN definitely has more sub-bass energy compared to what I remember with the Luna. But do take it with a huge chunk of Himalayan salt as it’s been almost a year since I heard the Luna. But the Luna was definitely more unique sounding. The ZEN is well balanced and can be a great all-rounder. I liked how it performed with any of the genres I fed to it.

But it’s always the best to have a go at it yourself.

Where are you located btw?

There’s an on-going tour for the ZEN.

You can contact me if you’re based in Canada and I’ll put you on the list.

And you can contact these two lovely gentlemen if you’re based in their location.

@Slater for the US and @davidmolliere for the EU.

Hope to hear what you’d think of the ZEN once you get a chance to hear them.

Apr 18, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #1,204 of 1,326

DUNU launches ZEN, an inward reflection on the path forward

ZEN is designed around ECLIPSƎ, DUNU’s next-generation paradigm for dynamic drivers.

ZEN_WechatIMG7334_Resized.jpg

DUNU prides itself on being constantly at the cutting edge of audio technology. Last year, inspired by the 50th anniversary of the lunar landing, DUNU launched LUNA, one of the world’s first and only pure beryllium foil dynamic driver in-ears. As a project developed from an unconstrained budget, in a quest to extract an unprecedented level of performance from one of the most exclusive driver materials available for high-end audio, LUNA’s driver was fabricated with a complex, composite assembly technique, utilizing separate materials for the dome, surround, and attachment points for the voice coil, for which DUNU was awarded an exclusive patent by the CNIPA (ZL20202008721.5).

LUNA_Patent_Redacted_Cropped.jpg
(Some information is redacted for privacy reasons)

Following LUNA’s success, DUNU set a goal to extend these innovative dynamic driver construction techniques across the company’s entire earphone product line. With ZEN, DUNU introduces the ECLIPSƎ driver platform, a collection of exclusive, next-generation driver technologies. Combining the trickle-down driver fabrication techniques derived from LUNA, an ultra-powerful ring type motor assembly, and refined voicing methods, ECLIPSƎ is a next generation paradigm for dynamic drivers.

Introduction - ZEN by DUNU - Draft 01.013.png

A magnesium-aluminum alloy dome with a specific W-shaped morphology serves as the centerpiece of ZEN's 13.5 mm ECLIPSƎ driver and allows ZEN to transcend performance standards at its price point. Furthermore, it is coated via high temperature, filtered, pulsed cathode arc deposition with nanoporous amorphous carbon (nanoDLC).

Introduction - ZEN by DUNU - Final.034.png

nanoDLC greatly augments the strength of the alloy dome by filling microscopic pores in the metal with non-hydrogenated, tetrahedral carbon (sp3-hybridized), at levels previously unachievable through plasma-enhanced chemical vapor deposition (PECVD) techniques classically used on polymer substrates. With nanoDLC, the sound reproduction surface on the ZEN yields physical properties that inch ever closer to pure diamond.

Introduction - ZEN by DUNU - Final.042.png

Chief engineer Andy Zhao, never one to settle on his laurels, designed a machine milled, ring-type, neodymium-based magnet assembly that achieves over 1.8 T magnetic field strength at the voice coil, one of the very highest figures achieved across the industry so far. The basis of this ring-type design will serve as the template for all ECLIPSƎ models to come.

Introduction - ZEN by DUNU - Final.037.png

With voicing cues taken from extensive feedback relating to LUNA, ZEN signifies the next step of evolution in DUNU’s tuning approach. Whereas LUNA utilized a very purist, traditionally-minded voicing philosophy, ZEN combines a series of response-shaping dampers in conjunction with DUNU’s proprietary Air Control Impedance System (ACIS). ACIS, a bass reflex technique first implemented in the DK-4001, helps reinforce bass frequencies below 100 Hz, providing ZEN with a robust sub-bass response that doesn’t bleed into other frequencies.

Introduction - ZEN by DUNU - Final.039.png
Introduction - ZEN by DUNU - Final.044.png

Taken together, ECLIPSƎ has allowed ZEN to supersede company expectations for what is possible at its price. “ZEN will appeal to audio lovers who desire a product that nears the level of technical performance set by LUNA, but at a more broad-based entry point,” says Kevin Sun, Global Director of Business Development for DUNU.

On the exterior front, ZEN is a continuation of partnered discussions with industrial designer Moses Xu to express a cohesively themed design brief. This is DUNU’s third such collaboration with Xu, reexamining the curves and lines that have defined DUNU’s product identity over the years for a minimal reduction of those shapes.

Introduction - ZEN by DUNU - Final.007.png
Introduction - ZEN by DUNU - Final.009.png

Translating the concepts on the drawing board to the physical form meant a return to a medium very familiar to DUNU technicians. Machined from durable, monolithic 316 stainless steel and PVD finished in a scratch-resistant, understated wet black coat, ZEN is a stolid, yet expressive — reflective of ZEN’s overarching product philosophy.

Introduction - ZEN by DUNU - Final.011.png

Usage-wise, ZEN continues DUNU’s tradition of bundling a premium cable with the convenient Quick-Switch modular plug system as well as a generous fit kit of different ear tips. ZEN’s designated cable is the DUW-03, an 8-core silver-plated copper cable first bundled with the Studio SA6, now finished with MMCX connectors. Aside from the standard 3.5 mm TRS single-ended plug, a 2.5 mm TRRS balanced plug and 4.4 mm TRRRS balanced plugs are also included.

ZEN_Accessories_Set.jpg

At an MSRP of $699.99 US dollars, ZEN will go on sale with authorized DUNU dealers worldwide as well as directly from DUNU’s official website before the end of the year.

Introduction - ZEN by DUNU - Final.045.png
Introduction - ZEN by DUNU - Final.047.png

Media Resources

Looking forward to getting one soon

Apr 19, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #1,205 of 1,326
Hi there,

The ZEN definitely has more sub-bass energy compared to what I remember with the Luna. But do take it with a huge chunk of Himalayan salt as it’s been almost a year since I heard the Luna. But the Luna was definitely more unique sounding. The ZEN is well balanced and can be a great all-rounder. I liked how it performed with any of the genres I fed to it.

But it’s always the best to have a go at it yourself.

Where are you located btw?

There’s an on-going tour for the ZEN.

You can contact me if you’re based in Canada and I’ll put you on the list.

And you can contact these two lovely gentlemen if you’re based in their location.

@Slater for the US and @davidmolliere for the EU.

Hope to hear what you’d think of the ZEN once you get a chance to hear them.
Thanks, but being the impatient and curious person that I am, I decided to just go ahead and pull the trigger.

Should be here in a couple of days :)

Apr 19, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #1,206 of 1,326
Thanks, but being the impatient and curious person that I am, I decided to just go ahead and pull the trigger.

Should be here in a couple of days :)
Lmao I hope you do find them enjoyable man!

Apr 19, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #1,207 of 1,326
Hi,

I read in one of the forums that it only works with my own cable. Is this really the case? I'm really weird. :open_mouth:

Apr 19, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #1,208 of 1,326
Hi,

I read in one of the forums that it only works with my own cable. Is this really the case? I'm really weird. :open_mouth:
Not the case for me. I've tried at least 4/5 aftermarket cables incl. Fiio FD5 cable, Final A8000 SPC cable, Sony Kimber cable, and a couple I bought from AliExpress. All worked without any issues.

Apr 20, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #1,209 of 1,326
Not the case for me. I've tried at least 4/5 aftermarket cables incl. Fiio FD5 cable, Final A8000 SPC cable, Sony Kimber cable, and a couple I bought from AliExpress. All worked without any issues.

thanks for the answer.
then I do not think any more, I go to the store. :L3000:

Apr 21, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #1,210 of 1,326
Posted this in C9 thread, but wanted to share for any current or prospective ZEN owners.

I took delivery of DUNU ZEN today and had a very interesting experience that I would like to share. Thank you @bluestorm1992 in advance for being part of this journey with me and sharing his knowledge and experience with these audio gears.

Cayin C9 is designed for IEMs but I admit, I purchased it to serve double duty for my efficient headphones (Stellia, Z1R, Empyrean, HER10P). Until today, I haven’t appreciated the difference an amp like C9 can do for an iem. Many reviewers classify ZEN as a ‘sensitive’ iem. This leads many to believe that ZEN sips power and all you need is a dongle for them. This couldn’t be farther from the truth in my experience.

IMG_0824.jpg

Upon first arrival, I unpacked Zen, attached the 3.5mm connector and plugged into my Hiby R8. Upon first listen, I was a bit disappointed. While I could sense INCREDIBLE energy in the mids, the bass just wasn’t there. I quickly played with Hiby’s MSEB and arrived a tuning that was quite a bit better. I quickly discovered ZEN responds very very well to EQ.

I chatted with @bluestorm1992 , I told him ZEN sounds like ‘poking the beast’ but beast was still half asleep. I did respect the tuning direction, very new and I liked the preview I was getting. He asked me to try with C9 as @lumdicks liked C9+Zen pairing. I didn’t see much point at first given the sensitivity of ZEN and low gain on R8 (40 volume) ZEN was plenty loud. But no harm in trying :wink:

Attaching 4.4mm ZEN connector, hooking up Eletech Iliad Interconnect (thanks @Eric Chong ) to R8 and I started with the same electronic test track.

IMG_0827.jpg

HOLY.

MOLY.

MOTHER.

OF.

BALLS.

What???? Everything just clicked. The bass went from ok to electrifying. The power! Treble response was greatly enhanced too and matched the mid energy. The DD’s were pushing so much energy I honestly couldn’t believe it. I had to check if MSEB was active several times throughout my session. MSEB was off, and ZEN was giving me LCD4 levels of energy. The downside. You need something like C9 for this.

What team at @DUNU-Topsound tuned this??? It’s hard to believe the same company that came out with the refinement of Luna has released this RAW unrestrained iem. Why on earth is this called ZEN?? I am definitely not at ease or calm listening to this. This is something else. I still can’t process the sheer energy of what I’m hearing. This is no beast. This is a demon slayer.

“Rip and tear, until it is done.”

doom-eternal-pc-build-header_feature.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #1,211 of 1,326
Posted this in C9 thread, but wanted to share for any current or prospective ZEN owners.

I took delivery of DUNU ZEN today and had a very interesting experience that I would like to share. Thank you @bluestorm1992 in advance for being part of this journey with me and sharing his knowledge and experience with these audio gears.

Cayin C9 is designed for IEMs but I admit, I purchased it to serve double duty for my efficient headphones (Stellia, Z1R, Empyrean, HER10P). Until today, I haven’t appreciated the difference an amp like C9 can do for an iem. Many reviewers classify ZEN as a ‘sensitive’ iem. This leads many to believe that ZEN sips power and all you need is a dongle for them. This couldn’t be farther from the truth in my experience.

Upon first arrival, I unpacked Zen, attached the 3.5mm connector and plugged into my Hiby R8. Upon first listen, I was a bit disappointed. While I could sense INCREDIBLE energy in the mids, the bass just wasn’t there. I quickly played with Hiby’s MSEB and arrived a tuning that was quite a bit better. I quickly discovered ZEN responds very very well to EQ.

I chatted with @bluestorm1992 , I told him ZEN sounds like ‘poking the beast’ but beast was still half asleep. I did respect the tuning direction, very new and I liked the preview I was getting. He asked me to try with C9 as @lumdicks liked C9+Zen pairing. I didn’t see much point at first given the sensitivity of ZEN and low gain on R8 (40 volume) ZEN was plenty loud. But no harm in trying :wink:

Attaching 4.4mm ZEN connector, hooking up Eletech Iliad Interconnect (thanks @Eric Chong ) to R8 and I started with the same electronic test track.

IMG_0827.jpg

HOLY.

MOLY.

MOTHER.

OF.

BALLS.

What???? Everything just clicked. The bass went from ok to electrifying. The power! Treble response was greatly enhanced too and matched the mid energy. The DD’s were pushing so much energy I honestly couldn’t believe it. I had to check if MSEB was active several times throughout my session. MSEB was off, and ZEN was giving me LCD4 levels of energy. The downside. You need something like C9 for this.

What team at @DUNU-Topsound tuned this??? It’s hard to believe the same company that came out with the refinement of Luna has released this RAW unrestrained iem. Why on earth is this called ZEN?? I am definitely not at ease or calm listening to this. This is something else. I still can’t process the sheer energy of what I’m hearing. This is no beast. This is a demon slayer.

Nice sharing buddy! It now seems quite comfier that C9 has the ability to elevate DD IEM’s performance as well. For the right pairing, the improvement can be huge, and this does not have to be with flagship DD IEM.

My Dunu EST112 also sounds amazing with C9, and I have found myself using it more often than Sultan actually.

Apr 21, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #1,212 of 1,326

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

HOLY.

MOLY.

MOTHER.

OF.

BALLS.

no calm listening for me either, the Zen is a very exciting listen, I love it!

Apr 22, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #1,214 of 1,326
Having trouble getting through to DUNU support today so maybe someone here can answer this question. I love the modular terminations of the Zen cable but would love to have a 6.3 configured that way so I wouldn't have to use the adapter. Just one less connection, probably OCD on my part. Anyone know if they make one or if one is planned? Thanks in advance

Apr 22, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #1,215 of 1,326
Having trouble getting through to DUNU support today so maybe someone here can answer this question. I love the modular terminations of the Zen cable but would love to have a 6.3 configured that way so I wouldn't have to use the adapter. Just one less connection, probably OCD on my part. Anyone know if they make one or if one is planned? Thanks in advance
I don’t think they have one or if there’s a plan for one unfortunately.

But we never know if they’d make one in the future. I just don’t think there’s a big enough demand for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back