Zähl HM1 - Reference Headphone Amplifier
Mar 5, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #796 of 1,480
The irony of getting this lecture from a dCS Rossini owner is killing me.:relaxed:
How's that? :)
Chevrolet has re-invented itself in recent years and has gone all-in on EVs as the future of the company. Their Bolt model may be the best value proposition in the EV space currently, in the US anyway. It may be different in the EU due to tariffs, etc. Or if you want something more upscale, buy a Tesla, which still represents excellent value compared to any international alternative. On reliability, I'd take either of the above over any mainstream vehicle ever made in Great Britain or Italy, to name a couple examples. German cars are overpriced and not particularly innovative anymore. A friend's expensive BMW uses a cheap plastic part in the exhaust assembly, which broke and had to be replaced.

And FYI, a lot of lower cost manufacturing for US companies has been done in Mexico for many years now. That, along with increasing automation and moving manufacturing to "business-friendly" states, is keeping the US very competitive on both price and quality.

At least it was one cheap plastic part, as opposed to ..most of the car like Tesla. BMW Suv's are exclusively made in their Mexico plant btw. And some other models for the US market as well afaik. Gb and Italy are just shooting fish in a barrel.
As for Tesla...a model S costs as much as Porsche Taycan and the build quality is not even to the standard of my Audi A5 for almost half the price. Hell, it's competitive with VW.
It's the Big Mac of luxury cars.

Mar 5, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #797 of 1,480
First half of 2 part Zähl HM1 review by ConvinceMeAudio

Mar 5, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #798 of 1,480
I really struggled reading this. My first ever DAC experience was with a Sabre based M-DAC from AudioLab that was bloody awful and gave me headaches. I've seen so many positive comments about the 501 I am really tempted to try one, but equally remember how bad my last Sabre based experience was. I feel torn quite honestly.

I know AudioBarn stock these in the UK. I might see if I can get a trial.
Completely off topic so apologies, but every time I see your name I have to check I'm on the right forum..

Mar 5, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #799 of 1,480
I really struggled reading this. My first ever DAC experience was with a Sabre based M-DAC from AudioLab that was bloody awful and gave me headaches. I've seen so many positive comments about the 501 I am really tempted to try one, but equally remember how bad my last Sabre based experience was. I feel torn quite honestly.

I know AudioBarn stock these in the UK. I might see if I can get a trial.

Give it a try, it will not give you a headache that’s for sure. It’s a great little DAC. I got mine from Criterion Audio and they were really helpful in getting me a demo unit to try at home for a decent period before deciding. Mind you, I’m sure they were probably very confident in the product.

Mar 5, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #801 of 1,480
It's not, but there's an additional "Made in USA " tax, which works over there, but for the rest of the world it makes people scratch their head and go " So like those Chevvies and Fords that break down all the time? ".
Completely understandable that manufacturing costs are way higher over there compared to most of the world (doesn't stop Hifiman from doing the same thing as Abyss), but in Europe at least, that doesn't mean much. Made in Japan or Germany, sure. They are traditionally perfectionists, excel at engineering and their products stood the test of time. Not to mention EU regulations are stricter, sometimes to a competitive disadvantage.
Since the era of China being the low cost factory of the world is coming to an end, it will be interesting to see where geopolitics takes us. India apparently.
I do get your point but this is not completely true. Let’s stick to audio for now. Boulder, MSB and Berkeley Audio Design make some of the best audio components available and yes, super expensive, though Berkeley dacs are the buy of the three. From the UK there is DCS whose Dacs are some of the most expensive and in Germany T&A and Burmester are also expensive. All of these brands have kit available over $100k ( except Berkeley ).

I feel it is a world issue and not just a USA issue.

If we move to cars for a second, the USA does produce the Chevrolet Corvette which’s outperforms Ferraris, Lambos, Porsches, every BMW and every Audi for less money ( based on cost in the states). German cars are not known for their reliability here in the states.

That said, I do hear you. Allot of stuff is out of sight.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #802 of 1,480
Red October $13,000, Nautilus $10,500, HM1 $8000.
I am alarmed by the recent trend of rapid rise in amp prices in the last few years, as well as headphones that cost >$6000.
We should not encourage this trend.

As someone that has enough gear that meets the criteria, I would honestly have to agree. I think my journey started around 2000 (the year), and I've not seen many other hobbies suffer from price gouging (not just inflation) as much as this one (including a few others I have personally). This is exactly why I don't mind people asking about the internals or gut checking capabilities.

Both the Red October and HM1 are very interesting to me, so I'm not referring to them at all, just in general. And I'm a huge culprit and a contributor to the problem lol, but the way people just wave it off is a bit concerning and there is clearly no ceiling. All I would say here is... the feedback on the HM1 looks so consistent that it's hard to imagine that it's not within the realm of the price point, but as always hearing it is what matters, which hopefully I can do one day.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #803 of 1,480
I’m curious, what about getting the internal shots is so important? Do you have internal shots of everything you own? This isn’t me being cynical I am genuinely interested to learn what conclusions you would draw based on whether internal shots are up to par with your expectations or not.
Obviously he wants to form an opinion about the degree of price gouging that is taking place. Or not. No-one knows until we can see the inside.

Personally I couldn't care less, I want one and am trying to work out which of my organs I can do without. Given my age and extensive number of children I shall probably sell my penis.

Mar 5, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #804 of 1,480
Give it a try, it will not give you a headache that’s for sure. It’s a great little DAC. I got mine from Criterion Audio and they were really helpful in getting me a demo unit to try at home for a decent period before deciding. Mind you, I’m sure they were probably very confident in the product.
Thank you. Did it perform for the off? Or did it require a degree of running in?

Mar 5, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #805 of 1,480
Mar 5, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #806 of 1,480
Obviously he wants to form an opinion about the degree of price gouging that is taking place. Or not. No-one knows until we can see the inside.

Personally I couldn't care less, I want one and am trying to work out which of my organs I can do without. Given my age and extensive number of children I shall probably sell my penis.
Seemed less about price gouging than his view of what good engineering design looks like. Being concerned about the degree of price gouging at this price point seems to be at odds with each other to me.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #807 of 1,480
Let’s stick to audio for now. Boulder, MSB and Berkeley Audio Design make some of the best audio components available and yes, super expensive, though Berkeley dacs are the buy of the three. From the UK there is DCS whose Dacs are some of the most expensive and in Germany T&A and Burmester are also expensive. All of these brands have kit available over $100k ( except Berkeley ).

I feel it is a world issue and not just a USA issue.
Nowhere to audition those (my MSB dealer told me don't even bother, try the Linn lol), but look at DCA Stealth : I assume people can prob get them for 3kish in the US, retail price is now 4.8k Euros over here.
I just bought one from a fellow head-fi-er just to see what the fuss is all about, but you see why our opinions regarding "value" diverge.
If we move to cars for a second, the USA does produce the Chevrolet Corvette which’s outperforms Ferraris, Lambos, Porsches, every BMW and every Audi for less money ( based on cost in the states). German cars are not known for their reliability here in the states.
I think there is literally no Ferrari, Lambo, or Porsche owner that would ever consider a Corvette instead (I know people that did, as well as Mustangs, and deeply regretted it lol). The interior is basically at the level of a Honda Civic Type R.
Few people actually buy those cars for performance. They expect a certain level of luxury, and I don't just mean expensive stuff, I mean class. Even BMW's and Audis have evolved over a long period, and you can see that in the fact that they have thought about stuff you didn't even know you needed. It's the intangibles, iterating on design, etc. It's like the difference between putting on a Rolex and a Casio (had to do it lol). It's still a piece of metal strapped to your wrist, but sure as hell doesn't feel the same.
Either way, I'll stop derailing the thread and just call it tariffs and different expectations due to cultural differences.

Mar 5, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #808 of 1,480
Nowhere to audition those (my MSB dealer told me don't even bother, try the Linn lol), but look at DCA Stealth : I assume people can prob get them for 3kish in the US, retail price is now 4.8k Euros over here.
I just bought one from a fellow head-fi-er just to see what the fuss is all about, but you see why our opinions regarding "value" diverge.

I think there is literally no Ferrari, Lambo, or Porsche owner that would ever consider a Corvette instead (I know people that did, as well as Mustangs, and deeply regretted it lol). The interior is basically at the level of a Honda Civic Type R.
Few people actually buy those cars for performance. They expect a certain level of luxury, and I don't just mean expensive stuff, I mean class. Even BMW's and Audis have evolved over a long period, and you can see that in the fact that they have thought about stuff you didn't even know you needed. It's the intangibles, iterating on design, etc. It's like the difference between putting on a Rolex and a Casio (had to do it lol). It's still a piece of metal strapped to your wrist, but sure as hell doesn't feel the same.
Either way, I'll stop derailing the thread and just call it tariffs and different expectations due to cultural differences.
I was not talking status, but actual performance. From a status perspective you are 100% correct. Go to a track with the new Vette and it will be the Lambo, Porsche and Audi owners who will be a bit scared ( assuming equal talent).

Mar 6, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #809 of 1,480
I finally got my C8 convertible, $99k (plus 7k for winter wheels and tires). The matching porsche was $230k. I have driven both extensively. The C8 is an infinitely better car with mag ride and eLSD differential. No comparison. porsche has a slightly nicer interior and better leather. There is no replacement for displacement.

Counting down the days till the summer tires go on.

Mar 6, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #810 of 1,480
I finally got my C8 convertible, $99k (plus 7k for winter wheels and tires). The matching porsche was $230k. I have driven both extensively. The C8 is an infinitely better car with mag ride and eLSD differential. No comparison. porsche has a slightly nicer interior and better leather. There is no replacement for displacement.

Counting down the days till the summer tires go on.
Oh wow. I haven't been following the Corvette recently, but you think it's better than the GT3 or Turbo S? If so, I need to go for a test drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back