Zähl HM1 - Reference Headphone Amplifier
Mar 4, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #782 of 1,480
Doesn't look like you'll be getting one anytime soon anyways might as well kick back and enjoy the ride.
The suspense is killing me.

Mar 4, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #783 of 1,480
Crap like this triggers my OCD and I will never buy it no matter the sound quality.

Attachments

• E565B956-4239-41BE-8859-8CCCCEC4F908.jpeg
    E565B956-4239-41BE-8859-8CCCCEC4F908.jpeg
    262.7 KB · Views: 0
Mar 4, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #784 of 1,480
Mar 4, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #787 of 1,480
Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #790 of 1,480
I had no idea it was exclusive to US companies 🤷‍♂️
It's not, but there's an additional "Made in USA " tax, which works over there, but for the rest of the world it makes people scratch their head and go " So like those Chevvies and Fords that break down all the time? ".
Completely understandable that manufacturing costs are way higher over there compared to most of the world (doesn't stop Hifiman from doing the same thing as Abyss), but in Europe at least, that doesn't mean much. Made in Japan or Germany, sure. They are traditionally perfectionists, excel at engineering and their products stood the test of time. Not to mention EU regulations are stricter, sometimes to a competitive disadvantage.
Since the era of China being the low cost factory of the world is coming to an end, it will be interesting to see where geopolitics takes us. India apparently.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #792 of 1,480
It's not, but there's an additional "Made in USA " tax, which works over there, but for the rest of the world it makes people scratch their head and go " So like those Chevvies and Fords that break down all the time? ".
Completely understandable that manufacturing costs are way higher over there compared to most of the world (doesn't stop Hifiman from doing the same thing as Abyss), but in Europe at least, that doesn't mean much. Made in Japan or Germany, sure. They are traditionally perfectionists, excel at engineering and their products stood the test of time. Not to mention EU regulations are stricter, sometimes to a competitive disadvantage.
Since the era of China being the low cost factory of the world is coming to an end, and it will be interesting to see where geopolitics takes us. India apparently.

The Swiss might want to discuss that geographic quality focal point. 😉 Also Holland and Poland are doing some very interesting stuff too. Competition has brought good times for the consumer. My main hardware now is German, Dutch, Polish and Swiss. It was all British not so long ago as I wanted to support local producers following Brexit, but ultimately I end up driven by quality when spending anything significant. Speakers are still British.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #793 of 1,480
Since the era of China being the low cost factory of the world is coming to an end, it will be interesting to see where geopolitics takes us. India apparently.
The irony of getting this lecture from a dCS Rossini owner is killing me.:relaxed: But if you're going to lecture, you should get your facts straight, and not speak in generalities.

Chevrolet has re-invented itself in recent years and has gone all-in on EVs as the future of the company. Their Bolt model may be the best value proposition in the EV space currently, in the US anyway. It may be different in the EU due to tariffs, etc. Or if you want something more upscale, buy a Tesla, which still represents excellent value compared to any international alternative. On reliability, I'd take either of the above over any mainstream vehicle ever made in Great Britain or Italy, to name a couple examples. German cars are overpriced and not particularly innovative anymore. A friend's expensive BMW uses a cheap plastic part in the exhaust assembly, which broke and had to be replaced.

And FYI, a lot of lower cost manufacturing for US companies has been done in Mexico for many years now. That, along with increasing automation and moving manufacturing to "business-friendly" states, is keeping the US very competitive on both price and quality.

Mar 5, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #795 of 1,480
Absolutely, never would of imagined ESS Sabre ES9018K2M's could sound so good lol
I really struggled reading this. My first ever DAC experience was with a Sabre based M-DAC from AudioLab that was bloody awful and gave me headaches. I've seen so many positive comments about the 501 I am really tempted to try one, but equally remember how bad my last Sabre based experience was. I feel torn quite honestly.

I know AudioBarn stock these in the UK. I might see if I can get a trial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back